how to get rid of smell in hemp

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by tamccrackine, Nov 2, 2005.

1. tamccrackine

tamccrackine New Member

nak..... how do you get rid of the smell of ammonia out of hemp? i've been wondering why my laundry room **REEEEEEKS** of ammonia and i finally figgered it out. I use foldalble hemp boosters because I have the niagra falls of a baby and it's the only thing that works for her. I haven't switched my washing routine recently and I can normally go alternate days for wash (wash on Mon, Wed, Fri... that type). But now if I do wash on Mon, by Wed the dipes that had been sitting in there since late Monday stink so bad it's overpowering. I've tried stripping them along with all the dipes (this was before I figured out what was the most repugnent). I have a drying line so that helps... I don't have access to a dryer.

Any advice? And aside from other laundry that dries a bit stiff on the line.. anything to help soften these up?
    Thanks!!!
  2. mommy2maya

mommy2maya Amity's Focus Member

From my experience, it has to do with water softness- or lack of. My friend had some hemp dipes she just couldn't use because they'd smell of ammonia. She passed them on to me, and I never had problems with the ammonia smell. Around the same time we had both had our water tested, my water company ph balances the water, and hers was extremely hard.
  3. singlemomto3

singlemomto3 New Member

RLR laundry treatment.. it works.. I had read about it a while back when i was having problems, but after trying everything else under the sun, like viniger, baking soda, lemon juice, tea tree, boiling them, putting boiling water in the washer.. I just decided to buy new ones.. then with in a month or 2.. my new ones were having problems.. so i bought those balls at walmart, which i should have done before, but am such a cheapo.. and it worker...

Good luck..
    Annie
  4. isaacsmama

isaacsmama New Member

haven't tried this, but I have heard it is very effective!
  5. cristian_bella

cristian_bella ~*~My cup runneth over~*~

What is RLR? I just discovered this smell issue last night while changing dd! What a coincidence I ran across this thread!