How many hours a day do you knit?

Discussion in 'Sewing & Craft' started by Suzie, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Suzie

Suzie Amity's Focus Member

I love to look at everything you ladies knit. I'm just curious how much time per day you knit? It takes me forever to finish the simplest projects. I'm so jealous when someone posts they can finish longies in a couple of days or less.

Soooooooo, how many hours per day do you knit?

Me, about 30 minutes, if I'm really, really lucky.:sob:
  2. Selissa

Selissa Who said I was Girly????

i'd say 1-6 huors depending on how my day goes
  3. huskrkid

huskrkid Got Yarn?

I ususally knit a couple of hours in the evening while dh & I veg. I can't just sit & watch tv. If I have a specific project I'm working on with a deadline, then I'll knit while the kids are at school in the morning.
  4. Marion

Marion Back to running!

Finally living my life the way I was meant to!
    probably 2 hours a day..if I'm having a good day!:)

I usually have to do it in spurts. 15 mins here, 20 mins there. Sometimes the kids can entertain themselves for longer periods of time but most of my knitting time is in the evening while DH and I watch TV.
  5. MotherMoon

MotherMoon Super Crunch in AL

somewhere between complete exhaustion and utter eu
    I knit at work and do it most of the day, when I am not at Amity's or craftster.org. Probably 4 hours or more. I knit at home when the girls are going to sleep, so another hour. I do not knit when the girls are up or on weekends. I have too much to do.
  6. Megmama

Megmama Happy Happy Joy Joy

I'm going to guess an hour, spread out all day with kids in between. I haven't knitted at all the last couple of days because the kids are sick..My fingers are itching!
  7. ZenMama

ZenMama New Member

Hours? OMG you have to be kidding! I think it's more about minutes here...lol

Selissa-how on earth do you knit 1-6 hours a day with 2 little kids running around? Seriously, I'm wondering.

I'm a super busy lady, and if I knit often it's when I should be sleeping.
  8. crankymama

crankymama Knit Geek & Baby Wrangler

I prbably knit between 3-6 hours a day. I can get 2 hours in when Henry naps and then another 3ish after he goes to bed. I sneak housework in here and there when Henry is occupied doing his own thing. DH knows that knitting is my job so he takes it seriously and doesn't expect a lot of other stuff to get done during henry's downtime. I also have a knitting playgroup for 3 hours on Mondays where we all knit and the kids play, that works well. Henry's an independent little man, too so I can even usually sneak some knitting in when he's awake. Although he has been asking me to teach him how and wants to help lately. I told him he has to wait until he's 4 :) I think I need to get him a little loom or something so he can get crafty with me!

Can you tell I can ramble about knitting a bit???
  9. Megmama

wow..a knitting playgroup would ROCK...move to GA amy :D

We have a lot of knitting friends around here, but it seems to be a passing hobby for some of them, while it just gets more fun for me..so I'm not sure I can get a knitting playgroup to run..though one of my friends does want an SnB session soon :D (Tracey you know who you are)
  10. ivycircle

ivycircle Spinner Extrodinaire!

Holy cow! I maybe knnit an hour; I guess I'm more of a spurter,lol.
  11. knittingmomma

knittingmomma New Member

Probably about 2 - 6 hours/day. I can knit or crochet while reading aloud with the kids, doing squats, sitting on the floor while they are playing, watching them play outside, reading posts at Amity's:)
  12. Suzie

Suzie Amity's Focus Member

You can!!! Really? You can knit and read a book? WOW!!! :bow:

Just the other night I was able to knit and glance up at the tv for about two stiches. I was really proud of myself. :p

That's awesome. I hope to be where you are someday.
  13. Selissa

Selissa Who said I was Girly????

lol i knit from when the boys go to bed at 7 or 8 till when i go to bed at midnight, usually.

last night i stayed up till two am knitting lucien a giant gnome because i promised lucien i would have it for him by morning then the baby kept waking up. he went to sleep hugging it. :D
  14. dandelions2

dandelions2 A Patinha!

Not nearly enough with a new baby. Actually, 3 months old isn't really new anymore is it? lol Having three has put me in such a blur. :)

I probably get between 1/2 -1 hour a day. *sigh* Weekends are better though. When dh is home he takes care of the kids mostly so I can get a few hours in.
  15. tracey

tracey no worries on my mind

A quick glance A big chance My heart beat like a d
    yep...:hug: i totally want a SnB. honest? i'd love a regular SnB group thing...even a homeschool or playgroup thing would rock. i don't do playgroups mostly bc my older kids are, well, older. 7 and 8 yo's don't like the same sorts of playgroups my almost 4yo enjoys, and he just annoys them when he is at their sort of playgroup, lol.

i wanted to knit for years so once i learned i have been doing it all the time. i would say i only get in an hour or two a day most days, if that, most days. the boys are just busy and it keeps me going.

apparently i knit bass-ackwards too so who'da thunk it? i want to see more people knit now so i can figure out what i am doing that isn't exactly right (in the end it looks the same so?)

still shaking from that series of yarngasms melinda gave us friday and saturday...
  16. .:Becca:.

.:Becca:. Tina! Come get some ham!

I usually get up to 3 hours a day in knitting time. Of course, that's split up during the day. I mostly knit while the kids are at school and I have the house to myself... awww, heaven!

There is no "right or wrong" way of knitting. As long as it comes out the same and it's comfortable to you, who cares, kwim? I also knit way differently than everyone else. I taught myself to knit, so I just did it the way it felt comfortable to me.
  17. tracey

tracey no worries on my mind

A quick glance A big chance My heart beat like a d
    yes but if you wind your thread in reverse you end up with twisted stitches, yk? only visible in stockinette or seed with a worsted yarn, apparently, lol.

if i throw from the right i was doing it right but i had taught myself to throw from the left (not really continental bc it is a throw but it is slightly faster than right throw) and i was winding in reverse and didn't realize it. melinda and amy figured it out, they are amazing!

really, in the end it was looking ok when i used bulky yarn (specifically homespun i am using for a poncho with 15's) but i have a camera case i'm working in wool-ease with 5's (SnB) and i CAN see the difference now that i am paying attention, it's just odd.

anyways, i'm totally hijacking...:D i wanna watch other knitters and see what they do (and i want to learn what melinda does, she calls it picking and o.m.g. that was amazing) and then learn some other tricks too...
  18. Megmama

Well..we gotta schedule us a snb session sometime soon, then. I'm going to totally keep knitting up these halter tops as they look cute and will work great in the summer for miss thang...

I have a hard time knitting with the kids running around though. that's the only problemo..