How do you organize

Discussion in 'Large Families' started by amyorama, Dec 1, 2007.

1. amyorama

amyorama Amity's Focus Member

Your toothbrushes

Hats/gloves/mittens/gloves

Shoes/boots

Socks

TIA!!!!
  2. diegosmama

diegosmama New Member

We just set up an organizer in our garage (we have no mudroom). We bought closet wire shelving and put up rows of shoe racks on the wall (one for each kid) and bought a wire drawer organizer (one drawer for each kid's hats, gloves, mittens). Then we put up coat hooks (swing kind with 4 hooks each) and again, one per kid for their jackets and snowpants. It has worked great because they can put their stuff away themselves.
    For socks, there is a plastic drawer in each kid's closet for their socks.
    Toothbrushes, on the sink we have a toothbrush holder that sits in a basket with the toothpastes, mouthwash, floss, lotion.
    I hope this helps!
    All the little necessities of life can make a HUGE mess!
  3. amyorama

amyorama Amity's Focus Member

Thanks for the ideas!:cuc:
  4. waterlily

waterlily arrived

We come in through basement, so it works as a mud room in the winter. We have two long peg racks at the bottom of the basement stairs for coats and snowpants. We have a wire shoe rack for shoes (walmart). We have a milk crate (dollar store) for each kid for hats, mittens, scarves. We got the peg racks from the unfinished furniture store. Boots just get lined up.

For toothbrushes they are all in a ceramic caddy right now but I am going to get each kid a plastic cup for rinsing and put their toothbrush in it. I want to get rid of the mass of paper cups in the bathroom trash.

Socks just get put in their sock drawer. We don't do family closet - each kid has their own socks.
  5. IndiMom

IndiMom .

Toothbrushes:

All in a cup covered with hydrogen peroxide. Kills the ickies and you just change the liquid once a week.

Hats/gloves/mittens/gloves:

Over the door shoe organizer like Sandi posted, in the laundry room

Shoes/boots:

They get kicked off by the front door. I'd like something aesthetically pleasing to store them in but there is not much space in the entry. I have the kids take them to their rooms when the pile starts to multiply and replenish.

Socks:

I sort them by child/size and toss them in a drawer in the laundry room.
  6. spu

spu New Member

For the mudroom, I bought a 4 x 1 rolling storage bench from west elm (90% off - floor model, on clearance) - each kid has their own cubby with a bin from target to hold their stuff. DH and I keep our stuff in the closet. He still complains that there's not enough room. Probably because I have too many coats, and all our summer stuff is still in there! LOL!
  7. teathymes

teathymes mama pajama

toothbrushes we buy all new, and have everyone put theirs in their specific slot. Within a week, over half of them are lost, under a bed, out in the yard, in the tub and then they just start grabbing whatever is left and using it. A little while after that, they start migrating into our bathroom to see if we might like to share our toothbrushes with them, and then I usually go to the store and we start the whole process all over. So, yeah.

mittens/winter things - I have an over the door shoe holder with a neat row for all of them to tuck their stuff in. It gets completely parted out the very first time it snows and we spend the rest of the winter trying to find one glove to add to a sock to put on their hands so they can go play in the snow. Good thing we live in KS. At the end of the season, we end up finding most of them and putting them back, and we start again next year.

Shoes - they have their own cubbies in the front door closet. They always forget and their shoes end up all over and lost or out by the trampoline. Usually when we go somewhere they are wearing one old flip-flop and a water sock that they managed to pull out of the dress up box.
  8. KaylieJayciesMom

KaylieJayciesMom Amity's Focus Member

For the toothbrushes I just keep them in a decorative jar that has peroxide in it rather than trying to keep them all in a holder. It's easier and keeps them germ free. :) As for the brushes I also keep them together in a lidded jar with alcohol in it for sanitizing. I've done this ever since my dd came home from school with lice once last year! ICK! Not risking it again, :lol: Shoes just go in large Rubbermaid containers in their closets because we just don't have room anywhere else! Mittens/gloves/hats are all tucked into their coat pockets when they come off and coats are hung in their closets since we don't have a coat closet.