How do you organize your pantry/food cupboards?

Discussion in 'Househould How to's' started by bubbles, Mar 22, 2011.

1. bubbles

bubbles New Member

Not sure anyone will see this here, lol. Maybe I should post on the market board. Anyway, my pantry (which is actually shallow cupboards) is a disaster. Bags and boxes of food fall out all as I rifle through the mess. I am looking for ideas to organize the packaged foods (jerkey, cereal, crackers, granola bars, etc.) and the canned/jarred food sections. Does anyone use those tiered shelves? They seem like such a waste of space but maybe they are a good idea.
  2. tikva18

tikva18 busy building blocks

I use a wire shelf that just rests on the wooden shelf - thus doubling the space. In my pantry I have the shelves organized and I keep evrything in columns and rows :D . I keep overflow in the basement pantry. I have one shelf that holds sugar, cocoa, flour, chocolate chips - another has sweeteners (honey, agave) oils, salts, potato starch and one container of corn free confectioner's sugar - another shelf has peanut butter, sunflower butter, nuts, beans, brown rice. Another has tortilla chips, napkins, potato chips (if we have any), bulk rice. Above the baking shelf I have molasses, soy sauce, and a few other things. Top shelf has some candy (no one's eaten it for a year now - do you think we should keep it? lol and matza. the floor has water bottles and the occasional pop bottle. Spices are kept in the door of the pantry. I keep cookies and granola bars, rice cakes, etc in a separate cupboard that is kept locked - which I originally did to prevent the twins from eating gluten. That cupboard also has tea and some candy that my kids can't have.
  3. bubbles

bubbles New Member

Thanks :). How do you keep things like chips and other bagged food organized? Those always seem to end up willy nilly all over the cupboard. I am thinking w/ the shallow cupboards some of the wire shelves might be helpful.
  4. tikva18

tikva18 busy building blocks

I was hoping you wouldn't ask me that! lol That shelf gets out of control very quickly. I have them standing side by side with hopefully the top rolled down and clipped closed - however, currently all of the clips are awol - AGAIN. For a while I was putting them into containers with lids and those are all square shaped - so they fit nicely; somehow that also got derailed.