How do you feel about ultra-pasteurization?

Discussion in 'Mama's Simplifying and Thrift forum' started by waterlily, Apr 7, 2008.

1. waterlily

waterlily arrived

Just curious, wanting opinions about this. It seems on the one hand I can buy raw milk, get all these wonderful benefits of raw. On the other hand there is ultra-pasteurized organic milk at the grocery store (convenient, organic but no-where near raw, right?)

Currently I buy hormone free at the grocery store.
  2. joli

joli sitting at the head of the Amity round table

I'm A BIG raw fan... the ezcema we had here cleared when we switched, plus I really prefer buying local and not big farm goods when I can. I can see the cows, visit the farmers any time, a lot of transparency is a good thing in food supply.

~jo
  3. Mamatoabunch

Mamatoabunch New Member

Yuck on the ultra stuff. We milk our animals and drink raw
  4. Dannielle

Dannielle Princess Nimble-Thimble

I don't know if there's any negative when going from pasteurized to ultra-pasteurized. I would think not.

For me raw isn't an option (too expensive) so it's gonna be pasteurized one way or another. Ultra pasteurized stays fresher longer, right? If that's an issue for you (not here...my kids suck it down) the UP might be the way to go.
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  5. PinkLotusMama

PinkLotusMama New Member

If I had a choice between raw and pasteurized, I would definitely pick raw.
  6. BlueRoseMama

BlueRoseMama Amity's Focus Member

When I dare to be powerful -- to use my strength i
    Well, lets just put it this way. You can't make cheese from ultra pasturized milk. So it has been irreparably damaged by the process. It doesn't even have the same nutrient composition as raw or pasturized milk. And all the enzymes are dead. Think of it as reconstitued dry milk... although the dry milk may have more nutrient value.
  7. waterlily

waterlily arrived

Well, currently I get pasteurized, hormone free. I could buy ultra-pasteurized organic but I am not convinced it's better than what I'm getting. I am looking for a source for raw but the nearest I can get it is 30 min drive and $9/gal. What is it where you are? And the gas of course to get there! I would like to have things not come down to money and time but in the end, it is a consideration.
  8. Dannielle

Dannielle Princess Nimble-Thimble

I can get raw milk for $10/gal. The drop-off point is nearby so gas isn't an issue. Cost is though lol.

I get skim (organic, pasteurized) so homogenization isn't an issue.

And I do what I can to put life back into at least some of it by making yogurt and kefir.
  9. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

I would pick pasteurized hormone free (is it local?) over ultrapasteurized organic.
  10. littlelemon

littlelemon Active Member

We drink raw, but before we did that I would buy the pastuerized, but non-homogenizd milk so we could have the cream.
    Ultra pastuerized is supposedly the "worst".
    Ultra pastuerized means that the milk has been heated very quickly-I believe this changes the chemical properties of the milk differently than if it was heated slowly (don't quote me, it has been a long time since I researched this :p ). There is a semi-local dairy here that sells pastuerized non-homogenized milk, and they claim that their milk is as close to raw as you can legally get because of the slow heating of the milk. Raw milk is illegal to sell in Ohio.