How do I get the STINK out of my dipes?

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by bellee, Sep 21, 2005.

1. bellee

bellee ugh

I've been CDing nearly constantly for over 3 years now. I never had a problem with stinky dipes ever. I recieved some dipes in a trade that were stinky (I was warned to wash them seperately but I totally forgot. I'm now kicking myself daily :eyes: ) and I washed them with the next washload of dipes and now my whole entire stash stinks. This was months ago, maybe close to 6 months. I've tried "stripping" the dipes (washing them once with soap then several times without, that's stripping right? ;) ), sunning them (I line dried them for months). I've used TTO and hydrogen peroxcide repeatedly. What else should I do? My dipes really stink and it makes me not want to use them :( I've got some great new dipes on the way and I don't want them to stink after the first washing.

Someone please help me :wah: :wah:
  2. huskrkid

huskrkid Got Yarn?

Have you tried vinegar?

That's horribly frustrating. :eyes:
  3. bellee

bellee ugh

It is frustrating...and gross <yuck>

I haven't tried vinegar or baking soda for that matter. That was going to be my next shot. I actually thought that by putting the BS in the washload maybe it would absorb the stink then take it down the drain LOL Maybe it doesn't really work like that LOL

I used to use vinegar as fabric softener all the time but I stopped cuz I didn't notice a difference. Maybe I should try it again. Should I put it in the downey ball or put it right in with the water? And should I plop so baking soda in there too while I'm at it?
  4. Cloth4Colin

Cloth4Colin Member

Hi Mama! What kind of dipes are they? AIO, pockets, CPFs, fitteds? I had this problem with my CPFs after a year of constant use and finally broke down and used bleach in the wash cycle. No more stink at all!! I know bleach isn't the greatest things to use on dipes, but once in a while I don't think it hurts them. (And when you get so tired of clean-yet-stinky dipes, you'll try anything. ;) )

However, if you have dipes that are something other than CPFs, I don't think you could use bleach since it would ruin the colors and aplix (aplix yellows with bleach use).

Maybe try this:
    *Turn your hot water heater up as high as it will go
    *Use no detergent, but add 2c. vinegar (white), 2c. baking soda to your wash
    *wash a complete cycle and then run as many rinses as needed until you see no suds in the wash barrel...even though you haven't used detergent, you will be surprised that you may still see suds for the first couple of rinses.

I totally don't know if non-clorine or color safe bleach would work, but maybe you could test it on an older dipe or a small patch of a dipe...

It is so aggrevating I know. I'm sorry that it happened to all your dipes...good luck with getting rid of the problem! HUGS to you, mama!
  5. Breila

Breila New Member

I've never had to use it, but I heard Sportwash is great for getting odors out. I have a bottle here JIC, LOL
  6. bellee

bellee ugh

thanks mamas

nak

they are all different kinds of dipes...hemp prefolds, bummis and prowrap covers, some fitted, some fuzzy bunz (the original culprit) etc...

i've heard of the sportswash too, and bacout? maybe i'll pick some up at the grocery later today, i'm assuming they'll have it.

I'm hesitant to use bleach in fear it'll ruin my dipes for some reason, but I'll keep in filed under last resort ;)

I'm going to try this right now since I have all these things on hand:
    It's a nice day I'll hang them to dry in the sun for good measure. Wish me luck. I'll let you all know if itworked ;)
  7. bellee

bellee ugh

I'm on wash cycle #2 still some suds (and I only use a 1/4 of the reccomended amount!!!), I went ahead and added a little bleach, just a smidgen. I'll go another wash cycle then hang them :)
  8. ZandLsMom

ZandLsMom New Member

Presoak with OdoBan or 1C vinegar, hot wash w/ detergent, cold wash no detergent, hang to dry.

After having stinky dipes for a LOOOONG time b/c nothing worked, I tried this (a combo of suggestions from here). I never use hot water on the dipes anymore, I always double rinse. I hang to dry whenever it's not raining. My dipes never smell like anything except clean laundry now.

HTH
  9. bellee

bellee ugh

3rd wash...STILL SUDS!!!! ARGH!
  10. juliebelle

juliebelle taking pictures

i had stinky fuzzibunz once and i washed htem on HOT HOT HOT for MANY WASHES with no soap....only thing that worked
  11. myshiningstarz

myshiningstarz every soul a treasure

my 2.5 yo is on a medication that causes a horrible odor in her diapers... The ONLY thing I've found that works is odoban! I love that stuff. I just found it last spring- (only sold at sam's as far as i know)- wish I woulda had it 2 years ago when she first started those meds!

All it takes is a few sprays and let it soak on hot!