How do I get stains off old diapers?

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by crazyestonian, Mar 21, 2005.

1. crazyestonian

crazyestonian New Member

I got something like 60 prefolds from my MIL (the pile is actually a bit too big to count exactly, lol). She used them about 6 years ago... They are all washed and smell good and everything but quite many are stained. Is there anything to get some of the old stains out? I know about the sun, but I live in an apartment building and hanging them out is just not possible..

Also, I´d like to give them a good deep stripping wash, since I don´t know what detergent my MIL used (she can´t remember). What is the best way to do this?

--anu
  2. huskrkid

huskrkid Got Yarn?

You can use sportwash or vinegar &/or just plain hot, hot water until you don't see any bubbles anymore. With that many it would probably be best to go to a laundry mat & use one of the industrial front loaders so you can do them all at once.

The sun really is the best for stains...hands down. I finally got some out last week & I am always amazed how much the stains fade.
  3. crazyestonian

crazyestonian New Member

my ignorance -- what is sportwash?

--anu
  4. juliebelle

juliebelle taking pictures

i second the good ol' sunshine...it does wonders.

eta...sorry just read the part where you said you live in an apartment and can't sun them.
  5. huskrkid

huskrkid Got Yarn?

Do you have a sunny window where you could set up a sweater dryer? You couldn't do them all at once, but you could do a few at a time.

You can get sport wash at Walmart in the sporting goods section. It's a small white bottle with an orange & white label. I've forgotten the name it's sold under for baby clothes. You don't use much of it & it takes all kinds of scents out as well...not cover them up.