how can i dye some of my diapers?

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by OnTheBrink, Mar 27, 2005.

1. OnTheBrink

OnTheBrink Amity's Focus Member

When I search for info on dying diapers, I just find it on dying wool. I want to dye some of my regular cotton diapers - snug to fits, sandies, prefolds. How do I do this? Is there anything that I shouldn't use?

Thanks!
  2. Megmama

Megmama Happy Happy Joy Joy

i would use dharma trading procion dyes for that job. Go to www.dharmatrading.com to look at the dyes, the colors and all kinds of advice on how to dye things! You can't use kool aid dye for diapers, just for wool or silk.
    Have fun :)
  3. Michele~Owner

Michele~Owner New Member

oops. LOL I thought you said "drying" not dying. GEEZ. Preggo brain over here tonight. Maybe the candy today knocked me stupid.
  4. Maiden Comfort

Maiden Comfort boobie juice maker

You can get packs of Dylon dye ( a brand of procion) at walmart (maybe) and Joanns for $2. It comes with the soda ash in it, so you don't have to mess with that. The color selection is limited though - just your basic colors pretty much.

I'd dye a few the same color, and in the washer. Easier on you, and you're more likely to get better results. If you want dark colors, I'd get 2 packs of dye for each one instead of one.
  5. brayg

brayg Evil Genius

I second Dylon! They are easy to use, easy to buy and pretty cheap. And they do a great job.
  6. Nova

Nova Active Member

I just picked up a pack of the Dylon at Joanns. I am hoping that it is a no brainer to use. I have some prefolds that I wanna try to dye. I will let ya know how it goes after I try it.
  7. lupineperriwink

lupineperriwink Gnome Queen

I got Dylon at JoAnns and it was actually packaged for quilters. I have 15 colors and I know there are more out there. Try looking in the quilters section if you want more color choice. I did my infant and preemie prefolds as well as playsilks with the dye and they came out quite nicely.
  8. KD

KD invisible

Right where I wanna be- south bay area of sunny CA
    Quick question- Can you do this in a front loading washer?
  9. Scarlet

Scarlet Amity's Focus Member

These are some pops I dyed with Walmart procion (packaged as a tie dye kit) in ziplock baggies a couple of years ago.

[​IMG]
  10. Maiden Comfort

Maiden Comfort boobie juice maker

Yes - though you get lighter colors since it doesn't set as long (you can use more dye to remedy that).

You need to figure out which cycle has the longest wash time. That way the dye can work the longest. I've only used it with the dylon dyes with the soda ash already added since there isn't time to add it later. I have a whirlpool duet if that helps. I think I use the heavy duty cylce and press the add time button to make it a bit longer.

Mix your dye upin a jar and make sure it's dissolved well. Let the washer fill with water, and add your wet stuff to be dyed. Turn it back on FAST! lol. Then let it run it's cycle
  11. KD

KD invisible

Right where I wanna be- south bay area of sunny CA
    VERY helpful! THANK YOU!
  12. APmommyCarrie

APmommyCarrie bubbly