Horseradish questions!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by artemis33, Mar 14, 2009.

1. artemis33

artemis33 Amity's Focus Member

Anyone grow it? How many roots do I need to purchase to get a nice bed going? We eat a lot of it - I go through one of those small jars of Bubbies horseradish every 2 weeks :)

Any advantage to getting a plant instead of the root?

Anything else I need to know about it?

2. Dannielle

Dannielle Princess Nimble-Thimble

I'm so curious...how are you eating all that horseradish? As in, with what food?

I've only ever eaten it with roast beef and I can't imagine what else it goes with.
  3. artemis33

artemis33 Amity's Focus Member

well...

On roast beef sandwiches.

I serve it with grilled pork chops or lamb chops -we usually have each once a week or so. I make a sauce/dip by mixing the horseradish with mayo.

I also like it mixed into tuna - with black beans added -served with salad. Sounds odd but it is good! lol I don't eat tuna much these days but this is a good quick lunch.

I want to try and make a homemade version of wasabi peas - which I looooove!
  4. Tremor Christ

Tremor Christ Amity's Focus Member

I LOVE horseradish!!! I eat it on just about anything.
    Every year there is a big horseradish festival here in Collinsville. We are the worlds horseradish capital :lol:
    Collinsville, Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Collinsville is the self-proclaimed "Horseradish Capital of the World", including an annual Horseradish Fest. The city and surrounding area are said to produce 85% of the world's horseradish, of such high quality that it's actually exported to Germany and China (key users of the herb) for gourmet use.

I have no idea about growing it tho.
  5. cathleenc

cathleenc dirty. good dirt.

plant horseradish in something from which it cannot spread - like a huge deep culvert pipe. You will never be able to eradicate it once you get it established if not seriously contained.

Most people never need more than one plant. You might try 2-3. It's normal to grow from root divisions.

If fact I've heard stories about people trying to eradicate horseradish and ending up with zillions of plants - as in putting the horseradish through a shredder to KILL it and having every little shred start to root and grow. Urban legend? Maybe. Maybe not. I think the wise thing is to treat horseradish as if that was true....

and yes! that is a huge amount of horseradish to eat. lol.