high school biology?

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by 3boysnagrl, Jan 11, 2011.

1. 3boysnagrl

3boysnagrl Amity's Focus Member

I am trying to start looking towards next school year, and I am going to have a real high schooler... who has to get real credit for what he studies. I was never worried about it until now.

I *THINK* we are going to be ok with my plan for history and literature. I'm PROBABLY going to buy the year 3 Tapestry of Grace for that. Either that, or I will be following Well Trained Mind guidelines... still undecided. But I think I can cover these two things.

I *THINK* I have math figured out. BUT... if he is enrolled in the charter school he SHOULD take Algebra II so that he gets the hs credit for both I & II. Long story, but since he's in 8th grade and we aren't asking for hs credit for ANOTHER course, he needs Algebra II right away in order to have it be reflected on his hs transcripts from the charter school We'll be moving after next school year. SO... I *THINK* I will be having him take Algebra II on Aleks.com - and also doing Life of Fred Geometry and use the Zome Geometry manipulatives. He would then get 2 math credits and COULD be done with math for high school if he wanted. We're still discussing this plan and all of our options.

I'm hung up on science. We want to all do science this coming year. It needs to be a lab. I'm wondering if I can find a high school biology scope/sequence and possibly even lesson plans online? I'd like to have him participate with the rest of us with most of his science, and then maybe take it further/deeper. We will be working with microscopes, dissecting, and doing some taxonomy - both animal and plant. So... not sure what to do. I need to see what the charter school needs from me in order to count it as a full credit for science.

Any good recommendations that are thorough and non-religious? (public school, can't be religious based)
  2. IrishMama

IrishMama ~Hawaiian Dreamin~

I have been doing a lot of research on Real Science 4 Kids, and I am pretty sold on it. They are currently in the process of turning their Level 2 Chemistry into "Real Science for HighSchool" and will have all the sciences eventualy. What caught my eye though, was that they are offering an online highschool Biology that looked pretty extensive.
    http://www.gravitaspublications.com/level-2-biology-online-class
  3. 3boysnagrl

We are using Real Science 4 Kids Chemistry right now - Chemistry. We like it well enough. And I was looking at the online Biology course earlier today... but for a year it's over $500!
  4. xt

xt Active Member

5. 3boysnagrl

Thank yoU! I will look into that one a little more. Now, to see if the charter school we work with will pay for that! :)
  6. emmas~clogs

emmas~clogs meanie mommy ;)

I know the high school home courses are expensive. We opted to hs this year through our school district for our high schooler and he takes Bio and Spanish 2 at the local school and does the rest of his courses at home.
    Last year he was at a charter school that was offering Biology online through BYU. I think it was around $150 or so. Maybe you can find that via Google.
  7. amyincali

amyincali New Member

We haven't gotten there yet but if I do have a kid at home for high school I was thinking of doing either Keystone Online or possibly The Potters School for some of the classes. I'm thinking Potter's School is religious and would probably be out but I think Keystone is secular.