hemp inserts

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by zaneymama, May 23, 2005.

1. zaneymama

zaneymama New Member

I am having trouble with the ammonia smell in my hemp inserts as soon as my son pees in them. I use Fuzzi Bunz and my dipes smell fine and my other inserts (moe) smell fine but the Hemparoos are stinky!

I normally wash them all the same...cold soak/spin/hot cycle with 1/4-1/2 normal use detergent and then double rinse....should I be doing the hemp inserts differently?

When they come out of the dryer or off the line they smell fine until my son pees and then the smell is immediately overpowering unlike my other inserts which can hold tons of pee before even being noticed.

Thanks for any help,
  2. juliebelle

juliebelle taking pictures

i'd try about 3 hot hot washes..no detergent. see if that helps.
  3. lovingit

lovingit ...NAK'ing at dawn...

I agree...wash them in hot (no detergen) until there isn't any bubbles when agitated in the washer. There could be some detergent buildup and you may need the hemp stripped a bit.
  4. singlemomto3

singlemomto3 New Member

Ok the few hot washes may work. for some reason it wouldn't for me. so maybe the problem was different. i wouldnt' know since they were just bought 2nd hand and had the problem right away. If that doesn;t work there is this stuff, you have to go to a hunting store for it. Its called sports wash i think. It is stuff they use on hunters clothing so they don't smell like humans. It worked WONDERFULLY!!! I am so thankful, cause i didnt' know what i was gonna do next.. Good Luck ohh the stuff is only 3.50 so cheap compared to what i was thinking i was gonna have to spend..

Annie
  5. LatteLover

LatteLover Amity's Focus Member

I would do a cold rinse before you soak any diaper items.