Help with natural/organic CDing for a newbie please!!

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by ~Hippychick~, May 2, 2006.

1. ~Hippychick~

~Hippychick~ New Member

Can anyone give me some advice on a few things. This is my first CD baby and Im having problems finding some things out.

I need help on lanolising the wool covers? I heard that regular lanolin contains pesticides.
    What I need to know is where to get organic Lanolin or some manufacturers, which sort do I get (cream or solid) and how do I use it?

Also I was told I can use baking soda to wash them in and tea tree oil. How do these work?

What do I need for wipes, how do I store/use them etc.

What do you use if they get a rash?

Thanks so much I appreciate any help, Im getting in a tiz over this lol.
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  2. Jrnme

Jrnme Boy Crazy!!!

I've heard some really good things about Lanolin spray, Less messy than the sink and soak method. Try this place, You might have to scroll down a bit... They also have a few different type of Organic wool care. The wool soap is sposed to also be very easy to use. With the bar types you just scrub the cover with the soap and rinse well you do need to let the bar dry between uses.

AS for wipes, some people like to keep them dry till there ready to use them and than keep a squirt bottle with water/solution right next to them. Some like to keep them in an air tight box, with some water/solution mixed in. Your choice, I always liked mine dry till I was ready to use that way I could warm them up in running water. Once used I just rolled them up in the dirty diaper and tossed in the "diaper Pail".

Some poeple do like to use baking soda or tee tree in the wash and some also swear by vinegar, and some people say no way to the whole bunch of it. Its another to each his own thing. Just a couple quotes from the diaper pin about washing...

"REMOVING URINE SMELL
    Include baking soda when washing or soaking your cloth diapers.

If you use baking soda in the wash or soak, make sure to use vinegar in the rinse, This will help restore the pH of the cloth diapers. Otherwise your baby may end up with diaper rash. "

"VINEGAR IN THE WASH
    Many parents have complained that using vinegar in the wash leaves their diapers remaining smelly. Actually it is more effective to use baking soda in the wash and add vinegar to the rinse. See our washing recommendations for more information. "

Tea tree oil is antibacterial, and by adding a few drops to your wash it is said to kill more nasties than just washing alone. Beside that, it makes everything smell nice. Be warned though, no more than a few drops, some babies skin can be upset by to much tea tree oil.
  3. lovencloth

lovencloth Amity's Focus Member

I also read regarding lanolizing (and I want to say it was on the diaper hyena, but I don't remember). A double thick felted wool cover is woven thick enough that it does not nec. need lanolizing, the lanolizing (or so they said) is more for conditioning/softening than it is for waterproofing. I have washed my wool bumpy cover w/out relanolizing and it does not smell and is still very water proof, but it was lanolized at one time. Just letting you know what I read.
  4. Jrnme

Jrnme Boy Crazy!!!

Very true! Most covers that have been Felted won't need lanolizing very offten, if at all. My favorite cover with Sam was a Fuzbaby wool cover, I used it alot and think I only lanolized it once or twice. I think he wore it for about a year. It was only 1 layer, but it just never leaked for us.
  5. ~Hippychick~

~Hippychick~ New Member

Thanks for the help on this, its all a bit confusing for a beginner :)
  6. MamazLuv

MamazLuv New Member

i do lanolinzie. it makes it soft and helps to eliminate compression wicking. if you google wool care you will get a ton of stuff.

i am also on another message board as we speak and they are talking about tea tree oil as a nono on boys. something about breast growth????