Help! Sore on daughters vulva looks like a quiche!

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by Taramisu, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Taramisu

Taramisu A Work in Progress

My daughter has this sore on her vulva and it is really strange looking. It's circular, the edge around the circle is upraised and the center is an off-white color with the consistency of a wet scab. It honestly looks like someone burned with a cigarette or something. This isn't the first time we've seen this on her. We use Fuzzibunz. I usually switch her to disposable diapers when she gets a rash or this type of funk. Then I wised up thinking she may be allergic to the detergent we use for the dipes (Sport Wash). So I switched the diaper detergent to Seventh Gen Powder, and here comes the **** spot again! :eek:
    We have appt with the ped tomorrow and I am worried they are going to be more concerned with treating the sore than helping me figure out what it is and why it's coming back again and again. I also have a feeling that once I explain how it goes away with disposable diapers...they're just going to say I need to stop the cloth all together. To make matters more complicated...my ped just left her practice to go teach (and she was on board with ALL my *quirky ways* ie non-vaxing, still nursing my 23mo old, co-sleeping, cloth diapering, etc.). So we are meeting a new (male) doc tomorrow. I can upload a pic to show you all what it looks like, but I don't want a pic of my daughters hoo-ha on the net for all the pervs to see LOL Any ideas?
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  2. Taramisu

The ped was great. I'll definitely be staying with that practice. I explained to him that I knew exactly how to make the sore go away, but that I didn't want to do that b/c it's a recurring thing and I need to know what it is and why it keeps coming back. He was in total agreement and referred me to a dermatologist :) We have an appt on Monday so we'll see what they have to say. He did recommend that we use the bactroban (we already have some) but I told him I preferred to hold off until we see the derm. so that it doesn't disappear. So I'll let you know what they say!
  3. Taramisu

Dermatologist visit today...

Okay so the dermatologist said it was a boil. I am baffled. It looks nothing like a boil to me. She also said that there was nothing I could do to prevent/help it. Well, nothing I suggested at least (i.e. changing her diet, giving her a supplement, etc.). I also TOLD the dermatologist that I knew how to get rid of it and she STILL pushed a prescription on me. I think I want a second opinion. I'm going to Google some boil images and compare. The Dermatologist also said it wasn't yeast, which I figured.
  4. mrslitz

mrslitz New Member

My daughter gets these as well. I felt guilty about her having such a severe thing, and did what you did and put her in disposables. It was my wonderful, supportive, secret cloth diaper lover that pointed out that disposables suck moisture out of their skin, and putting her in disposables (even occasioanly) was helping the short term, but making things worse in the long term. Her skin would adjust to being super duper dry and then I'd put her back in a cloth diaper and in no time flat, she'd have it again.

Have you tried wool? I recently discovered that putting her in a wool cover just at night has kept rashes of all sorts at bay. I think PUL gets too hot when worn overnight for some kids and starts this kind of thing.

Also, I put lansinoh on those! :)
  5. ~noodlefrog~

~noodlefrog~ Lovin' life

Not sure if it's the same thing ds had, but it sounds like it might be. He would get several and they hurt like the ****ens. Same thing: Disposables made it go away. No one ever did come up with an idea, so we switched to one disposable overnight and cloth all day. No more problems, but I've never heard of the problem again till now (I think). I don't like the solution, but it works.
  6. BugzNBean

BugzNBean a sewing mama

my girl is super sensitive in the diaper area. It's a pinch better than it used to be but she's still sensitive. One of her worst reactions are wet fleece (esp if there is soap residue then it's even worse) and wet elastics (wet as in pee'd on)
    It's odd b/c usually FB don't bother her (unless there is soap residue) but other fleece does. No more covers with FOE b/c those irritateher legs a lot.