Help me make a meal plan?

Discussion in 'Mama's Simplifying and Thrift forum' started by 3boysnagrl, Jan 7, 2011.

1. 3boysnagrl

3boysnagrl Amity's Focus Member

I would love some help. Next Friday we will be getting our first CSA boxes. I am getting a large box of fruit and a large box of veggies. They will be delivered weekly. I can add meats, rice, noodles, staples, to these. I'd love to see what other people would do with some of these items. We have never had kale before, or radicchio. I only know how to use collards for Ethiopian food (which I will be making because my spices will be here by then, anyway).

But this is what my boxes will be containing:
    Veggie box (items with a * I really have never cooked with before):
    2 bunches carrots
    2 bunches collards
    2 bunches kale*
    2# zucchini
    2# sweet potato
    1 butternut squash
    1 head of broccoli
    1 bunch chard*
    1 radicchio*
    1 leaf lettuce
    1# red onion
    1# shallot

Fruit box (most will be used for snacks for the kids and myself - pink lady apples are ALL MINE):
    8 navel oranges
    6 Cara Cara Oranges
    6 pink lady apples
    4 pumelo grapefruit
    2# granny smith apples
    2# bananas
    1# kiwi
  2. freedomlover

freedomlover ReaderOfThreads

carrots, zuchinni, sweet potatoes are things I like to oven roast (also eggplant, asparagus, mushrooms and red peppers)
    I wash, slice in chunks or strips, put in a large bowl with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper, mix up
    place on a cookie sheet and bake until soft and yummy looking

I use these veggies for dinner and leftovers go in sandwiches.

The collards and kale I wash and saute in a pan with olive oil and salt with a cover until soft and tender.

The onion could go with either dish too.
  3. golden

golden Active Member

kale is good in a smoothie, removing the main thick stem first. You can make kale chips with it too. Swiss Chard can be cooked like you would spinach. It just takes a little longer in the pan to wilt down.
  4. xt

xt Active Member

I throw greens into everything when our CSA share goes nuts. So I might make a something or other where I'd throw an onion in a pan, throw in some potatoes and tempeh, and add kale or chard at the end. We can eat that for any meal - breakfast through dinner - and be happy. They're both also great in soups, stews, anything like that.

I am planning to do this with our pumpkin surplus, but it would be good with your butternut squash and kale, I bet:
    http://healthyslowcooking.wordpress.com/2010/12/27/solstice-bean-stew-dark-days-week-4/
  5. TeresaLock

TeresaLock Active Member

I've always used kale in soups, but I did just recently see something about them being made into chips. I would experiment and maybe just add a little of the items you haven't used before to something like a meatloaf, soup, stew, spaghetti etc. Good luck
  6. herc

herc Amity's Focus Member

I saw a frittata recipe this am that used swiss chard. White bean soup is good with kale. Sweet potatoes I found a cool post the other day about making a sweet potato bar that had some great idea. I can get it when I get home or you can prob find in a search
  7. artemis33

artemis33 Amity's Focus Member

I use kale and chard in frittatas or as side dishes. I prefer them sauteed in butter or bacon grease.

Tonight my side dish with roasted chicken is pan fried sweet potatoes with chopped kale added toward the end. This is equally good with regular potatoes, at any meal! Thyme is a nice herb with sweet potatoes.

Radicchio I love chopped up and added to regular salad greens - just a little per salad. It is bitter but mixed with other things is adds a nice balance.

Shallots make a nice base to many thai and vietnamese dishes, or you could use them as a base for a frittata to use up your greens.

Butternut squash makes tasty soups.

Great CSA! Love the variety. Oh and I LOVE pink lady apples, too!
  8. Tremor Christ

Tremor Christ Amity's Focus Member

I go through tons of kale all by myself. I love kale. I like it wilted with bacon and onion.

Sweet potatoes you can use in place of pumpkin. I make bread with them.
  9. ian'smommaya

ian'smommaya Amity Teen

we eat tons of kale and chard (it's one of the few fresh veggies we can get here in the winter...) so we do a variety of stuff with it. sautee kale/chard/both with onions and garlic mix into scrambled eggs/eat alone/add leftover potatoes.

add to chili
    add to soup of almost any kind
    scrambled eggs
    veggie mix with potatoes
    smoothie
    add to canned soup
    add to a hash with spam and kale and chard
  10. lala

lala I make stuff

kale- juice it with sweet stuff or throw in a blender with fruit smoothies. chop it up raw, sautee it with onions and add to quiche. chop up and add to breakfast potatoes, spaghetti sauce or any stirfry.
    chard- blanche it, add to quiche (chopped), or any other savory sauces.
    raddicchio- I had this once quartered and stirfried with zucchini, tomato, onion, garlic, Italian seasoning and served over pasta, warm. It was DELICIOUS!