help me feel great about not buying cute, matchy party supplies!

Discussion in 'Mama's Simplifying and Thrift forum' started by stephanielynn, May 11, 2010.

1. stephanielynn

stephanielynn New Member

i am having a dress up/costume party for the kids' 5th and 3rd bdays on saturday. i just got done doing some planning and need some help feeling great about a simple, thrifty idea. i am thinking i am going to use the plates and napkins i already have. i have a basket full of different colored napkins from previous parties and such. i have pink and purple for kendall, her faves and i have some that are festive green and orange that will do for isaac. my stash of plates is all girly, but i have plenty of plain glass (and others, of course) plates that we can use with the paper ones. i have some disposable cups, but not necessarily enough, so i may buy some...or i could just use what we have in paper, the few plastic ones, and then adults can use our glasses. it's not all going to be set out on the table like a cute party display, anyway, because we are using the table for a craft when the kids first get here. so...the food (simple dinner b/c of 4:00 party) and plates and everything will just be stacked up on the kitchen counter until we are ready to eat anyway. i am thinking it could be very simple and responsible to just use what i have, but i don't want to feel stupid come party time either. ;)

i am going to pick up strawberries from a local farm to go with dinner and have those, Chick fil a nuggets (kids' fave), and sunchips (also a fave and compostable bag...lol). what else could we have?

we are making cupcakes for k and a cake for isaac and decorating them ourselves.

splurged on a handmade bday banner from etsy. so excited about it! besides that, hanging up dress up costumes on the mantle and around the house for decoration.

i have a lot of the supplies we need for the crafts. we are going to make several dress up items and that is what everyone will take home. i need to buy tulle, wooden dowels and stars for wands, fleece, and elastic.

sounding ok?
  2. justthemama

justthemama Amity's Focus Member

Are you buying the nuggets by the platter?

How many people are going to be there? I always figure out what I'm doing for plates/cups that way. If I want to spend less than the fancy decorated ones, I buy solids which are really affordable but still look really festive. I'd say if you still have to buy some, or it's really going to bug you at the party the extra $20 or so might be worth it... ;)
  3. Kateg1

Kateg1 Guest

We have found great plates at the 1.00 store, we got a pack of 18 last time. I usually only buy for the kids. And you could always use up your stash for picnics , dinners etc. for your family.
  4. Kbsmama

Kbsmama Active Member

What you have sounds great, Mama. As long as you have enough, you're good. You could add some coordinating decor--stickers or something--to the kids' cups and plates? I don't know if that's even necessary, but could tie everything together. I think the mix goes along with your dress up theme anyway!

And, yeah, the $1 is an awesome place for party supplies if you need more--just don't wind up spending more than you would have because "everything's so cheap"!
  5. khlinville

khlinville Amity's Focus Member

OK....I'll make you feel better. For Ds 6th Bday last week, we used left over plates from my Christmas cookie swap that said "Jingle Jingle Jingle." Feel better now, lol? I cared for a little bit....like right before the party. Once it started, it was chaos and nobody noticed. If they did, they really didn't care. I am usually a control freak/perfectionist and Dh was shocked when he saw what I was using...shocked in a good way. He was laughing. I just have had to let somethings go since I started working f/t. The kid had cake, presents, candles, and friends. I forgot the plates and wasn't feeling like rushing out to get more at the last minute.

What you have is fine and if you need more, do the dollar store. Once the kids have food on their plates, no one will notice. I promise. The banner sounds awesome.
  6. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

It sounds totally shabby chic to me! :D
  7. teathymes

teathymes mama pajama

I don't sweat anything that ends up in the trash in mere moments. Your party sounds great!
  8. stephanielynn

stephanielynn New Member

got nervous reading the responses...lol! thanks for your input!

i am just so very busy lately with taking care of my family, working, and taking care of my mom's health and financial stuff and also some things for my step dad. i just want to make sure that i remember what is important to me and not make stops and spend money (even if just a little) and use resources that are not necessary if i have what i need at home, yk? one of my concerns is that i think i am stopping by the $1 store to pick up plates and cups, but i end up stressed about the color(s) and if i now need napkins to match the cups i just bought, etc, etc. i know it's a little crazy! lol.
  9. stephanielynn

stephanielynn New Member

LOVE the "jingle" plates!
  10. stephanielynn

stephanielynn New Member

ah yes...very good advice. and thanks for the encouragement that the mismatched stuff sort of goes along with the theme...i can see it. lol!
  11. stephanielynn

stephanielynn New Member

yes...buying a platter. around 10 kids and a group of adults to go with them.

(and jic anyone notices, i do realize that buying that big ole plastic platter is not going to do anything for my desire to not contribute to a bunch of waste/harmful chemicals). LOL.
  12. littlelemon

littlelemon Active Member

Spounds great mama!