help me create our learning environment! finally a HS room :)

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by harvestgirl, Jan 17, 2010.

1. harvestgirl

harvestgirl escape to chimp eden!

The least I can do is speak out for those who cann
    this area is in the finished basement. i have a few ideas, and will be starting a workbox system for g & w. should i get one main table, or try to get a desk/table for each of them to work on?

the sink area will stay. i can use the cupboards for book/craft/science experiemnet/etc.. storage so i am excited about that.

to wall to the left could be for a bookcase, or ???

any ideas? thanks!

[​IMG]

this is the other parts of the basement. it will be a mutli purpose room really w/ games, video games TV, playroom etc....

i'd like to keep most of the HS things in the area in the first pic i showed, but this gives you an idea of the space.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. 3boysnagrl

3boysnagrl Amity's Focus Member

I would do a big work table... like a farm table. so you can spread out, but still have space to work. That would also be a great place for board games to be played. On the other side of that room, I would have a television with DVD player, maybe a computer, bean bag chairs, a loveseat (so you have a place to sit and read to Teague). Maybe a low table, too.

I'd also be painting all of that paneling white - same with the cupboards, doors and walls. :) Then put up some maps, wall charts, dry erase boards, etc. you could put school supplies in recycled glass jars on the counter.

And of course you HAVE to have some glass balls in those windows.

How about I come and set it up with you? I need something to take my mind off of my own life for a while. ;)
  3. harvestgirl

:hug: you are welcome anytime!

love all your ideas, thanks heather! not sure about painting the paneling though, i actually detest paneling... lol but this looks woodlike & gives that level a cabin-y feel.

will paint the yellow in the cabinets for sure. we could put up a wall by the door there, that would give a whole wall to utilize as well, and keep thr HS room a bit more separate from the rest of the room.

i want it to be a fun, relaxed, homey space that everyone wants to be in :)
  4. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

Here are some ideas

East facing wall on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Homeschool Rooms/Organization Tips « Counting My Pennies

Our Home School Room pages updated | Satori Smiles

I would get a big table too where they could all work.

I like the Ikea trofast system for workboxes or the itso system from Target. I think the trofast system is a sturdier system.

I would also make sure to either have an oversized chair or loveseat for reading time.

I love the window in that space. Plus the cabinets will be great for storing things.

One of the links I looked at today had open shelves and I wonder how the top cabinets would work if you took the doors off of them and made them open.

I would use glass jars on the cabinet to store supplies.

Great room, I hope you have lots of fun decorating.
  5. ufotofu

ufotofu Amity's Focus Member

6. harvestgirl

great, thanks for the links!

and i htikn no matter how i hard i try, i will never be as organized as jen/thelink you shared meg :lol: wow ~ it's like a mini school! i don't want my HS room to be like that, although it is a tremendous space she has done so much with!

i have playstands & wooden ktichens etc.. i have to set up down there too. and baskets, etc.. i think ( hope) it turns out how i am envisioning it.
  7. ufotofu

ufotofu Amity's Focus Member

The idea I like most about the room I linked is the station areas. I have art mixed up with science mixed up with puzzles. It's confusing for Sophie to be told to get the hand lens or thermometer when it's under the modeling beeswax under some history project.
  8. harvestgirl

i hear ya there.
  9. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

Beautiful room but I wouldn't want to maintain it!

I love the ideas of stations.

I would have an art station with our easel set up and would love another small table they could do other art projects on.

I would love a "writing" center, a science center and a math center.

Nicole I think you will have a great space and will find a cool way to use it.

What style of work boxes are you thinking of using? I am revamping ours a little bit this weekend, making schedule cards and such but I love the concept of workboxes and I know when we use them the kids do more fun work in with the academics which is where we are sorely lacking.
  10. harvestgirl

yes this!

i'm not sure yet robin, love the link you shared w/ the different options & how neat to see pics! my fav is the target boxes & ikea shelf unit. i also may use baskets.. the amish family i know that makes baskets make flat ones that are 8 1/2x11 size ~ would be kinda neat to use those, but i'd need some way to store them for sure.

once we get in & i can paint, etc. i am sure i'll have more ideas.
  11. harvestgirl

12. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

13. harvestgirl

i love the look of the atelier room! love those baskets.

actually, i think if i got 2 of the bottom 1/2 of the shelves i linked to ( which are actually modeled after chicken coop boxes..lol) one would work for each g & w.
  14. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

15. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

16. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

I think those would work great for workboxes with baskets in them. Plus they would look cool.
  17. harvestgirl

i agree! LOVE it.

and this looks like one of the chicken coop boxes i linked to earlier ~

6th pic in ~

Playful Learning Spaces - Home - Art Area

i am so gonna use those... lol ~ they are from robert redford's sundance catalogue.

thanks for all the great links robin :) and the dell box came, so i'll send the shipping $ your way.
  18. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

Glad got the box, let me know if you have any problems with it.

I love her space and how they set it up, can't wait to see what you end up doing. What color do you think you are going to paint the cabinets?
  19. harvestgirl

Not sure yet... Maybe red :) we are close to closing , like w/in a week ~ so I hope to be back in and get a better look.

So far so good w/ the Dell.. Dh loaded it w/ norton and Net Nanny as it will be mostly the kids' computer.
  20. Charity

Charity Amity's Focus Member

I would get separate tables. We tried the one table thing here and when one kid needed to erase something, it would shake the table and the other kids would get annoyed and mad. It would set them off for bickering over every tiny movement. Also, if they were set up facing each other, one kid would annoy the other kid by making faces or they'd distract each other from their work.
    Seperate tables allow each of the kids to have their own space, to set up whatever way they want and personalize in a way that can make it their own. My kids are always trying to find a space that is their own, since with homeschooling they are with each other all the time. You can have their seats faced away from each other (one table against one wall, another table against another wall) so they can't distract each other or bother each other.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2010