HE washers/dryers

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by ~*~Seeking*Simplicity~*~, Jan 21, 2006.

1. ~*~Seeking*Simplicity~*~

~*~Seeking*Simplicity~*~ Amity's Focus Member

I just posted about my new Indian prefolds not being soft after washing, and then it dawned on me - I have complained several times since getting our HE washer & dryer that my clothes dont seem as soft anymore. I never use softeners & never felt the need - but the texture of my laundry seems so different now. It all feels rough. Has anyone else had this experience? I really hate my set & wish I had returned them. I spent a TON on this set & really I would have been happier with the bottom of the line cheapo set!
  2. zo's ma

zo's ma New Member

Could you be using too much soap? I use about 1/4 of the recommened amount in mine.
  3. ~*~Seeking*Simplicity~*~

I use the amount suggested. The fibers themselves seem altered though. Its just really wierd! LOL

I hate my set so much. The guy insisted that I would save so much time with this set, that the washer spins so well that you can practically pull a pr of pants out & put them on. BS. I often need to do another spin cycle! If the clothes in the dryer aren't dry in one cycle, I set it for another cycle. And it shuts off in 5 minutes! The clothes aren't dry, but the dryer wont freaking stay on! I HATE this set SO MUCH! LOL I used to LOVE doing laundry, not so much anymore.
  4. bear

bear perry county ohio

It sounds like your washer and dryer aren't working right. With my set, the clothes are not very wet when done, and 1 cycle on the dryer usually gets it done (with my down comforter I do have to do either 2 cycles or do an actual timed cycle).
  5. KimberMama

KimberMama Active Member

Hmmm....I haven't had that problem (but I haven't washed diapers as DS#2 potty learned at 2.5YO). We bought our set almost 3 years ago, the Kenmore He3t washer with matching dryer.

I almost always use the highest spin setting. I use the extra spin for super large loads, towels, and jeans. The clothes are definitely drier than they would be coming from a top loader. Dryer loads run about 45 minutes vs. 80 before. I like my clothes very dry.

We don't use separate softener, but the ECOS laundry detergent has a soy-based natural softener built in. Nothing that coats the clothes. Also, it is a very gentle detergent, so it isn't causing damage to the clothing fibers.

Oh yeah, when mine wasn't spinning well and the clothes were pretty wet coming out it needed a repair.
  6. jessica_momof7

jessica_momof7 Super Breeder

which detergent are you using?
  7. ~*~Seeking*Simplicity~*~

We have the HE4T. I think I will call someone out to look at it. I really wanted to return them, but our 30 days were up around the holidays, so I was too busy to worry about it. Right now we are using the Sears detergent, but I really want to use something else. Does the Ecos say it is safe for HE?
    I bought this huge tub since several people here had posted they liked it, but I'm not liking it at all. I wasn't even sure anything at the health food store would be for HE - and we are soooo far away from one now! LOL
  8. ~*~Seeking*Simplicity~*~

Oh, and since I love to complain LOL I just took a load out of the dryer & was reminded of another thing: My laundry stinks now. Another reason I want to try another laundry detergent LOL I hope itis the detergent & not that the washer isn't cleaning well enough. I am really sensitive to stink & I am always complaining to dh about the smell of our laundry LOL
  9. bear

bear perry county ohio

I don't use he detergent. I use the regular stuff, just not as much. Then again, my instruction manual says that you can do that, some manuals do say to not use anything but he, so who knows.
    Where did you get your set? I know sears has a 1 year policy, that if you don't like it within the first year you can return it (that goes for anything in the appliance section, last I knew).
    My clothes were stinky, I cleaned the seals with a bleach solution and started using clorox2 in every load, that helped. Along with doing a plain bleach load once a month (nothing in the washer, run a hot wash with bleach).
  10. ~*~Seeking*Simplicity~*~

OMG! I got mine at Sears! Dh said we had 30 days! I soooo hope ours does this, I will return mine in a heartbeat & get something totally different! Thanks for telling me this!!!! :)
  11. Linda

Linda Amity's Focus Member

your washer isn't working right. The sears detergent is yuck to me. I love Bio-Kleen. i used it when I had a Calypso in the states and I have a Whorlpool HE here in NEw Zealand. You barely need any detergent~like a Tablespoon. Bio Kleen Bac out is an excellent stain remover and works well with the HE washers.

My clothes are super clean and spin out really well. I am sensitive to smell too, and I am washing dipes.

One thing that is really different about the HE washers-if you buy unbleached or organic prefolds and are trying to get the oils out, it might take longer.

I really don't like Sears. I would return the set if you can and get a new one. I wouldn't mess around with the whole Sears repairman scene~that could drag out forever....

v n
  12. bear

bear perry county ohio

LOL, you're welcome. Call yours. I have always been told at ours that there is a year policy. I can't imagine that yours would be different.
  13. ~*~Seeking*Simplicity~*~

Do you know if it is a problem if we dont have the original paperwork? Dh doesnt know where it is. I'm gonna go look for it, but just in case...
  14. ~*~Seeking*Simplicity~*~

nevermind, found the reciepts - along with the rebate forms for delivery that dh never sent in :vent:
  15. bear

bear perry county ohio

They should be able to look it up, but I have always had my paperwork handy. I would try to find it.
  16. ~*~Seeking*Simplicity~*~

I checked the website & I didn't see anything about 1 yr - but it did say 90 days - its only been 2 months since we bought them! I am soooo freaking happy! LOL We will probably have to pay a re-stocking fee & for them to pick up, but at this point, I dont care - I hate these things! LOL
  17. jessica_momof7

jessica_momof7 Super Breeder

on the sears detergent...they have 2 kinds in the tubs...one labled ok for HE and one not. I haven't had any troubles with the HE specific kind. no smelly clothes or stiffness.
    good luck!
  18. KimberMama

KimberMama Active Member

ECOS has always said it was safe for front loaders. The newest label has the "HE" seal.
  19. ~*~Seeking*Simplicity~*~

I'm using the HE one. I dont know what the deal is! LOL
  20. ~*~Seeking*Simplicity~*~

updating on our laundry saga - we contacted sears & they said we needed to have the repair guy come before we went further. repair guy came & did NOTHING. So we called sears & said we wanted to return them & they said we have to contact the owners & then EXCHANGE them! I am MAD! LOL I emailed Sears & they said sorry, we cant help you, you have to deal with the store! UGH! We are just 1 1/2 weeks away from the 90 day time frame , so I will be hauling my butt to their store tomorrow & laying down the law! LOL