Have you or do you plan to homeschool through high school

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by punkin, Jan 22, 2010.

1. punkin

punkin Amity's Focus Member

I'm still somewhat undecided what to do, and running out of time.

Brooke is in 8th grade this year. Has HS'd all the way through. I really need to decide what to do next year.

If you are HSing through High school, did your child get a diploma? a GED? how did you handle it? I realize this probably differs by state.

My latest thinking, is maybe we'll do a cyber charter school, but have never done that, so I'm unsure if it would be something we would like or not.

She is not really wanting to go to school, but i'm not sure I want to be responsible for all the record keeping for college. Also, she wouldn't get a diploma if we just do what we've been doing and I would like for her to have that.
  2. hana

hana Active Member

I'm a little curious why a diploma matters to you. Not judging at all, just curious--is it because you think she might need it later, because it's a goal to work toward, because it signifies completion?

For us, I'm open to possibilities, but I expect that my two littles will homeschool through high school. My youngest of the bigs (stepdaughter) homeschooled 7 and 8, wanted to try 9th grade at high school, then homeschooled/dual enrolled in community college until she left to university at 17 (with about 2 years of college credits). She doesn't have a diploma, but places that ask for them accept her university degree. Otherwise, I would create one for her on my own. But we're in Michigan, where the laws are very lax.
  3. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

We, also, can issue a diploma (in Texas), so that really wouldn't having any bearing on our decision.
    I don't know what we will do though. I have a feeling finances are going to become an issue before they graduate.
  4. Tap dancin mama

Tap dancin mama Amity's Focus Member

I also have an 8th grader who has been home all 9 years of school. DH and I always planned to send him somewhere for high school. I don't feel confident enough in my higher math and science skills to keep him home. We also feel like he needs a chance to spread his wings a bit, while still living at home. I've found a few really great public/charter school options for him (including a middle college program that sounds fantastic!) so we are moving forward with that. ,
  5. annsni

annsni Amity's Focus Member

I sent both of my girls to the local high school in 9th grade and for the two of them, it was the right decision. I'm not sure what I'll do with the two little ones yet but I'll homeschool at least through 8th grade.

Friends of mine have homeschooled high school through NARS (NARHS | Your diploma, your way.) and have done well with it. It seems like there is a bit of paperwork but it allows you to continue to make your own choices for your kids in high school. Just a thought.
  6. 3boysnagrl

3boysnagrl Amity's Focus Member

We're playing it year by year.

We will be moving this summer to CA - and we're looking at options. Austin will be in 8th and 9th grade while we live there... so we are definitely looking at what our options are. Today in my brief looking we found a charter that is geared to performing arts, which would TOTALLY be up his ally. And the same school has a homeschooling option, so I could maybe get the kids all in the same school - but with different options for each.

Fact is, we just don't know where we will be living after this next 2 year assignment. I'm excited to see what our possibilities are for the next couple of years.
  7. snugbug

snugbug Watching my baby grow

I personally was homeschooled through highschool and plan to do the same with my children. I chose to get my GED and then college placement to get into a local junior college. In our state my mom could have issued me a diploma and had all the appropriate records for credits and such but 1) she's not much of a records keeper and 2) I was her test subject student. At no time has the fact that I don't have a diploma been an issue. It has been a minor 'ego' issue due to my own misconceptions about GED's but its a non-issue for me now.

Personally I plan to keep the appropriate records, issue my kids their diplomas and have the records necessary to enroll them in the Running Start program in our state that allows high schoolers who are ready to attend two years of Junior College for FREE. I'm 'hoping' they would graduate from high school with both their diploma and their AA.

I'm hugely looking forward to home schooling the high school years.

Sarah
  8. soonsoonsoon

soonsoonsoon New Member

same here! and plan to do the same! i guess homeschooling is a way better option!
  9. chrissymama

chrissymama Amity's Focus Member

We've only been back at homeschooling for a couple of months, but at this point are planning to homeschool for the foreseeable future. I am definitely open to homeschooling through high school. I imagine that if we do, that we will take advantage of community colleges and online classes in a big way at that point.
  10. punkin

thanks for all the replies and thoughts.

i guess i just think that a diploma 'looks better' for college and such. i really dont have a reason to want that over a GED. My hope is for her to go on to college and I want to make sure she has what she needs.

ETA: i've been out of college for 'a while' and really have no idea what they want/look for. We are going to be having an informational session w/ our homeschool group in march to discuss homeschooling through high school. The parents that have already been there are going to share. I'm looking forward to it.

Here, in stickville, our out-of-the-home schooling options are; the local public school or the christian school in the next town that i would have to drive her to and from each day. I know a couple of kids at the Christian school and there are about 4 students per grade at the high school level.

I dont see the christian school happening. that leaves 3 choices that i know of; continue homeschooling, switch to a cyber school, go to local public school. I'm leaning toward one of the 1st two, but I think dh thinks she should go to public.
  11. justthemama

justthemama Amity's Focus Member

I've read a bunch of articles recently related to how colleges are more accepting of homeschoolers than they've ever been and that an "official" diploma commonly is not an issue.

I currently have a 9th grader and if nothing changes, she plans to homeschool through graduation, probably doing duel-enrollment at community college starting in a year or so. In my state, the parent not only issues a diploma but sets the graduation requirements. I think we're one of the easiest states as far as homeschooling goes, though!

Most all of the homeschooled high schoolers we know are doing some sort of duel-enrollment and getting their higher level math covered that way. CC tuition here isn't cheap ($70 per unit as opposed to the $13 per unit it was when we left CA) but most of the kids we know take 1-2 classes per term at the CC.
  12. justthemama

justthemama Amity's Focus Member

13. punkin

thank you. that article was interesting. i read through it once quickly, but will read it again.
  14. tara

tara Amity's Focus Member

Sam has been exclusively homeschooled, with the exception of a 3-month period in private school last fall. For the past few years, he was doing high school level work in math, history, and english. I have kept records of his work just in case I need to create a high school transcript. [We're homeschooling again now, but are in talks with the SD to see what kind of learning environment they can provide for him. They are mostly stumped, but willing to be a bit creative, so I am hopeful.]

I attended a seminar led by a man who runs a consulting business for families in CA who are homeschooling through high school and are considering college. He helps them craft transcripts, suss out what colleges (even highly selective colleges) seek in applicants, etc. It was really enlightening to hear him describe many, many homeschooled high school students who were able to attend the colleges of their choice, some with scholarships.

It's my understanding that most colleges are more open to homeschooled applicants these days, but it's also true that we need to create transcripts that are helpful to the admissions selection staff at colleges. I've done a lot of research into this, and know that it can be done without too much trouble. If we choose to homeschool Sam for more high school level classes, it doesn't worry me.

Tara
  15. Scarlet

Scarlet Amity's Focus Member

LOL we are considering the opposite :)
  16. MMJoiner

MMJoiner New Member

Have you tried calling any potential universities and asking them what the requirements are for admitting a homeschooled child?

I'm not sure what we'll do when our children get to be that age.... that's a ways off yet. When we were researching hsing, that was one of the things I did, so we would know if getting them into college would be a problem. They said it no problem, for me just to issue a transcript, and for them to take their ACT, and that was it.
  17. Tap dancin mama

Tap dancin mama Amity's Focus Member

Still haven't found anything that will work with Jay's schedule?