GRRRR! JoAnn's "wool"...

Discussion in 'Sewing & Crafty Stuff!' started by Pixie's~Mama, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Pixie's~Mama

Pixie's~Mama Seamstress in a RTW world

Is totally not 100% like the bolt said! I am fuming. I picked it up because it was such a pretty blue color and was thin. I thought WOW, this would make such a nice trim cover.

So, I ask the cutting lady "Do you really think this is 100% wool, because it sure looks like it has some poly or acetate in it."

She says "If the bolt says 100% then that's what it is."

I say "hmmm. Well we *both* know that the bolt lies sometimes."

She didn't say anything.

So dumb me, I go ahead and get a yard. It's been washed twice and is in the dryer again and shows little sign of felting. :wah:

I'm going to try to take it back tomorrow. I wasn't at my "regular" store here in town; I know they'd have told me the truth...
  2. Thmom

Thmom Desperately Trying

in a horse and buggy town missing it's horse
    OOOH I'd write a letter to corporate!!! That's just wrong! There are some people who *NEED* to know if the material has an artifical fibers kwim!
  3. Scarlet

Scarlet Amity's Focus Member

Some wool won't full because it has been pre-treated. A burn test is the way to go. I have some 100% wool flannel that won't full, I know it is 100% wool because it is pendleton and labelled with the woolmark.
  4. Lydiasmomma

Lydiasmomma And Levi's mom too!!

Well that just sucks. :mad:
    I have discovered that all but ONE of the people who work at my Joann's just work there because it's a job. Only one actually knows anything about sewing and fabric. :rolleyes:
  5. CarterNOwensMom

CarterNOwensMom Mommy to 3 Kids!

I got some of that too. Nothing happened (that I could see) when I washed & dried it a couple of times on hot. I did put water on it and it beaded up. I haven't had a chance to try making a cover yet.

Scarlet, what would happen with 100% wool in a burn test?
  6. Victoria

Victoria Member

7. mommy2maya

mommy2maya Amity's Focus Member

Definitely do the burn test, cause some wool has been treated to not felt up.
  8. Scarlet

Scarlet Amity's Focus Member

Also if it is a mixed fibre you would smell the burnt hair but the ashes would have gritty bits in.

Un-fulled (felted is not the correct word even though many people use it -- one of my pet peeves) wool will still work for a cover, you may need more layers though because it is thinner. Also mixed fibres have worked for me too.
  9. amey

amey Lovin' my boys!

The Sonoran Desert - Dry heat? Like a kiln!
    I agree -- ugh!

Mine had "100% wool felt" (as did another crafting store in town) in the winter (or so the bolt said??). Now those bolts in both stores say 80% rayon, 20% wool.

I was annoyed because I wanted wool felt for crafting, and now I have to order online (and it was priced okay at Craftsmart at only $5.39/yard...). BAH!

~Amey (feeling your pain)
  10. ElDucko

ElDucko Amity's Focus Member

What would superwash wool do? Not trying to steal the thread, just wondering if it would be different.
    Tia, Jessica