Greenhouses....

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by artemis33, May 26, 2009.

1. artemis33

artemis33 Amity's Focus Member

Anyone have one? Want to show me pics? Has anyone converted an out building? I'd love advice, tips, things you love and hate about yours.

We have a shed out by the garden that is currently unused (except by spiders and rodents! :hoo: ) and I'm thinking with a bit of work and some salvaged windows we could convert it. It would be a tremendous help here since our springs are so long and cool - great for greens but tough for tomatoes, etc.

What do you think?
  2. artemis33

artemis33 Amity's Focus Member

trying to add a pic...
    [​IMG]

This shed is in the NE corner of the yard - the fence behind the beds is N. The pasture behind that fence is ours too (well, part of it) so we can/need to prune some branches out of that big alder.
  3. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

Cool! My thought would be that you really want south-facing exposure for a greenhouse...it looks a little too shady. What about using it for a gardening/toolshed and building a greenhouse elsewhere? There are lots of inexpensive options for building one from scratch, that may end up costing less than converting that shed.
  4. BlueRoseMama

BlueRoseMama Amity's Focus Member

When I dare to be powerful -- to use my strength i
    I agree... you really want at least south facing for a green house. But at the same time, if you could convert the south facing wall and roof, you could be in buisness. It does look shady though. Perhaps you could get those flower things that tell you how much sun you have there? Painting the inside of the shed white would help as well. Although it would bring the temp down, but the sun exposure up. Here is a video on how to test sun exposure:

How To Test the Sun Exposure in Your Garden Video | Gardening Techniques Videos | Howcast.com

If you try that, at least you will know if you get enough sun there to be worth it to make that the greenhouse. But I think Lauren is right... it might not be the right spot.

Val