Going green?

Discussion in 'Super Crunch' started by BlueRoseMama, Jan 4, 2009.

1. BlueRoseMama

BlueRoseMama Amity's Focus Member

When I dare to be powerful -- to use my strength i
    I have started to think about ways to counter balance the economic stressors that make me feel like I have to buy more to go green. My ideas are all for me, so don't think I am pushing anything, but they make me feel better about my involvment in it all and I was wondering your thoughts. Here are my 'goals' for from now on (I usually do most of these already... but I digress)

#1. Buy only what I need (as much as I can, I will not feel bad for my occasional Latte... esp when I bring my own cup ;) ) .

#2. When I don't really need it, or have one that works, but is ugly (lots of purchases as because of this in my house) I will look used and wait at least a week before buying new.

#3. As much as I possibly can, keep out of big box stores.

#4. Use the library and Netflix for entertainment instead of buying movies and books, even when we love the movie (we have been buying more movies lately and getting new movies as gifts a lot!)

#5. Buy local produce. There are TONS of resources in my area that I have tapped into by working at a local farmers market. I am really loving the connections I had with the farmers this summer/fall/early winter, and plan on picking that back up as soon as the season starts again.

That is about it for me. My main goal is to reduce my consumption of new goods. They stress resources that our planet doesn't have to give.... and stretch my pocket book in ways that I don't need. If I have to buy stuff... try used first. If I can't get used, get local. If I can't get local or used, think about if I really need it for a week... and then, if I still think I do, get it where I can. I can talk myself out of anything usually. ;)

What are your green goals for the new year?
  2. Shelly

Shelly Active Member

I love this post, Val. Looks like some great goals that'd be good for all of us! My big goal this year is to eat more locally as well. I have a CSA subscription and I want to find more local sources for stuff not grown at the CSA. The CSA farmer produces pretty much all of our veggies, but I need more fruit, yk?

Apples, grapes, pears and other standards don't really grow in Florida, so I want to try to change our habits to other stuff. We can get great mangoes, strawberries, blueberries and peaches. Muscadine grapes grow wild here, and I know where to pick mayhaws to make jam. I *have* to make marmalade from the kumquats in my yard this year, instead of letting the kids eat all of them and leaving the ones too high for them to reach to rot on the tree...
  3. mamatanya

mamatanya the bead lady

Another way to keep new stuff out of your life is to sign up for freecycle. I love getting just what I want that way. It doesn't always work but it's one more resource.

I find that by sharing my own overabundance, it comes back to me. I don't plan it that way but I think because I give things to people that they know I'm open to recieving.

I'm grocery shopping less often. That seems to help us to use up what we have. I know if I was home full time we'd probably be better about this anyway.

I'm not saving the good stuff any more. It's funny all of the stuff I used to buy when I already had something like it because I was saving the good one. This makes me feel more abundant too.

And I'm making sure I really love things before I add them to my life!
  4. joyfuljourneys

joyfuljourneys seeking myself

WE are really working on our house.

The owner of New Belgium brewery here in town (maker of Fat Tire if you are lucky enough to live in one of their distribution areas) sent out a presentation they did (power point) about how they got their house to provide all of the energy it needs, and not use resources from the grid.(I think I could send that out to anyone who was super interested)

They are lucky enough to be able to put in solar panels, a lot of them. We cannot do that yet..

But the most striking thing was actually the study they did finding out where the power was used in their home, and what consumes the most.

The number one thing, which was just over a third of their total energy consumption, was phantom use. All of the things that are plugged in but turned off, still using power. I knew that there was the issue of phantom power use, but had no clue at all about how much it adds up to.

So we are focusing on that right now. Putting things on timers, which can totally stop that while leaving things plugged in. (like the coffee pot) We are still working on items such as the tv, which has to be reprogrammed each time it is without power. They are older items, and it is a huge inconveniece. (we are a movie watching family, we don't have cable or anything, just movies and two channels by antennae.)

we are also getting rid of more grass. We have covered 1/3 of our lawn area with piles of leaves held in place with cardboard or plastic, killing the sod and providing composted goodies. We are doubling our growing area for food, and will provide more of our own. We will still join a CSA again this year, partially to still support them (this will be year 2 for the CSA we joined) and of course to have local fresh organic food.

We are also working on a solar oven to bake in...