Fussy baby/ not pooping--please advise!x-post

Discussion in 'Ages 0-2' started by Kbsmama, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Kbsmama

Kbsmama Active Member

Reagan is 24 days old. In the past week or so, she has been fussy during and after nursing. I usually hold her, pat her back, bounce, and rock her. Sometimes she nurses more, but, aside from the middle of the night, she generally doesn't nurse to sleep, but seems to prefer bouncing/walking or rocking. She usually has poopy dipes a few times a day, but it has been over 24 hours since she last pooped, possibly verging on 36. She has fusses for close to an hour at times.

She has also been spitting up more.

Do I need to drop dairy from my diet? I don't know what to do.
  2. Hindy

Hindy Workin 9-5.....

It's a bit early in her life to go so long in between pooping. When my dd didnt poop early on...he had us stimulate her to go, by inserting a rectal thermometer that was dipped in vaseline. It worked fast.
  3. BlueRoseMama

BlueRoseMama Amity's Focus Member

When I dare to be powerful -- to use my strength i
    The other end of the gi tract is what I usually have trouble with my kids(vomit and spit up), but I just wanted to offer you a {{{hug}}} having and uncomfy baby can really be hard. :hug:

Val
  4. tmrhopkins

tmrhopkins I will beat cancer

I think it was about the four week mark that my bf baby went about 48 hours without pooping. My friend that's a doula said that can be normal for a bf baby- meaning they are using all the food for growing, not a lot of waste.

Isn't there a growth spurt at 3 weeks anyways?

Good luck!

Tawnya
  5. Kbsmama

Kbsmama Active Member

She went late yesterday afternoon. The messiest dipe yet, LOL.
    She was still fussy almost all evening,falling asleep briefly here and there from about 5:30 until after 10:00.

DH came home at 10:00 after going to watch the superbowl. I told him she was still fussy. He said, "She wants something." UGH. I haven't figured out what it is. I have felt like maybe I was misreading her cues, and obviously DH is confirming that. But as it continues, I start to wonder if something else is going on.

At the same time, obviously, I am not wanting to have to alter my diet.

How much fussing is normal in a baby? I just heard Dr. Sears say on Dr. Phil the other day that colic in babies is a misnomer--it is almost always related to sensitivities to the mother's diet. I don't know, though, what qualifies as colic. I sound pretty silly at the moment, I'm sure. I have had three other babies, LOL.

Some mamas on the other board suggested swaddling, but that seems to make her madder, LOL!

Feeling sad and lonely, mamas...I'm glad you're out there!
  6. ~Meeshi~

~Meeshi~ Also Known As Michelle

nak

look up infant massage, there are some good techniques you can do to help her get things moving. also, you can get her naked and bicycle her legs for her and hold her gently in the "plow" position. feet bottoms together and pressed toward her body so that knees are close to her sides/tummy. um, from experience though, it is handy to have a towel or diapers right there because when things get moving, they *move*! :eek:

luna also reacted a bit to dairy when she was younger. we don't use it much, but i was having my garlicky pasta with parmesan a few times a week. hope she is feeling better soon!
  7. jwymore

jwymore New Member

Poor baby

I know all about crying unhappy baby. My dd used to cry from 4 to 8 every day. I couldnt even make dinner. Try reading The fussy baby book by Dr Sears. You dont have to buy it, just go to Barnes and Noble and sit there and read some points in it. It helped me so much. You could also look into getting a baby sling, Baby Slings, Baby Carriers from Maya Wrap or look on one of the in search of boards here. They might have one. Any sling will do, fussy babies need mommy close at all times.
    Some babies just cry and the best thing you can do is sling them and hold them untill they are done.:eyes:
  8. Kbsmama

Kbsmama Active Member

This would have been my advice to anyone before this baby...DD#1 (my 3rd) would get fussy, and I'd just pop her in the sling and walk around a bit, and she'd be fine. Reagan does not like the sling. :eyes:

I keep trying with it. I have tried putting her in it after she falls asleep when she is in her "light sleeping" phase and will wake up if I try to put her down. She wakes up shortly after I put her in and cries. I have both a Maya wrap and a pouch, and she apparently likes neither.

I'm figuring out if I can just hold her until afternoon when she sleeps a bit more heavily, I can lay her down for a couple of hours. So, that helps. I'm hoping at some point, she'll decide she is OK with the sling.
  9. BlueRoseMama

Not like the sling? poor baby and you! I had a terrible time with Cyan because she didn't want to sleep with us... so she would want back in her crib before and after each midnight feeding. :tear: It was AWFUL... if I got 2 hours of sleep that entire first 5 months I don't know how... and they certianly wern't in a row. And everyone just kept saying "put her in bed with you, that is what I always did" and she wouldn't sleep there. She would fuss and cry. So I totally get the "what I am "supposed" to do doesn't work for this baby" deal. I am so sorry Jody. That is really hard. Perhaps a different type of sling? Logan only likes the stretch fleece one that Selena got me. The hemp ones he doesn't like... apparently they are too rough. ;)

Val
  10. Ms.Belinda

Ms.Belinda Getting there...

Our babe is going through this too - but he also has dipey rash! I'm super afraid of food allergies too (both my kids have had probs - ds1 has nut/peanut allergies, coeliac disease, allergic to oranges, dd had egg allergy). So I'm hoping he's just griping because he's got a sore butt because I don't want to change my diet. :(

PS i'm hoping fuzzi bunz will help. we're using prefolds till they all come, air drying in the sun, etc.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  11. Kbsmama

Kbsmama Active Member

Doing better here...The last two nights I have tried swaddling again, and it actually worked. She fusses for a minute or so, but then she goes to sleep. And today, I put her in the sling once she was done nursing and just wanted to be held. She fussed again, but I held her in the sling and kept moving around, and she fell asleep! I am also thinking I need to get her a binky because she seems to want to suck after she is full and gets mad when she starts getting more milk (I have plenty, LOL). None of my other kids ever took a binky, really, so I don't have one here...

She went another 36 hours or so between poopy dipes, so maybe that's just going to be how she works right now as she is, as someone mentioned, likely hitting a growth spurt.

I am feeling a bit more relaxed and like I can keep her happy, which is really good, because my other kids are having a really hard time right now, and I haven't been helpful. Everyone has been screaming and crying and I tend to just join in on the crazy. I ordered more herbs. I just tried another homeopathic remedy that looked like it fit the bill. I feel like the herbs have been helping, but maybe not enough. Or, maybe I just need a break. DH told me he got tickets to Monday night's Pistons game last night, and I nearly lost it. I didn't lose it at him, and I suppose I should because I'll probably lose it somewhere else. Molly will be 4 weeks old tomorrow and he has managed to leave the house to watch the playoff game (Bears/New Orleans), and the Superbowl. Last week, he had to go out to dinner for work, had to teach a training, and had to leave for work early--all in a row, so wasn't home for two night and then gone early the next morning. Then, he runs out when he's home on the weekends for grocery trips, etc, and, he even managed a couple naps. Don't get me wrong--he is wonderful and helpful and he has had a sinus infection, so I should cut him a break. BUT, I haven't had a break (except to take a shower) in a very long time. Since well BEFORE this baby was born (what was I thinking???). My neighbor, saint that she is, took DD #1 last Friday and I got a nap in the middle of the day with DD#2, but DH called me in the middle of it!!!!

So, anyway, I needed to vent, clearly. I am really hoping I can work this out without meds, but if things continue as they are, I think I'm going to have to go back on them...
  12. BlueRoseMama

{{{hugs}}} I am totally pp right now as well.

Just having a hard time with everything, but at the same time I am strangly detached. I haven't lost it... but lets just say that my children are going through a time of maintained neglect. They are fed, bathed, and not punished for too much, but they are also not played with and when they start to make noise I send them outside or into their rooms. Cyan cuddled with me a bit last night, but that was just more sleep I lost between times when Logan was up wanting to nurse. Don was home, but he has no breasts, so he couldn't help.

Blech. PP sucks. It just does. You feel out of control in your mind and some how transfer that to your life without even thinking about it.

St Johns Wart spray from Source Naturals is one I take when depressed.

I should start...

Val

PS Logan has had a bink from day one. I thought he was hungry at first, but after nursing for 5 hours that first night, I gave him a bink and he went right back to sleep and I got to sleep for a while too. YAY! lol... Pick one up... it could be a life saver... some babies just really like to suck. :hug: :heart:
  13. adraylay

adraylay New Member

My LO will cry whenever she had bowel movement.. She also told me she has tummy discomfort.. her constipation problem is back again. The medicine given by doctor can only help to cure her constipation temporary. Any else recommendation?
  14. ashleygoh1314

ashleygoh1314 New Member

Hi, you can try home remedies! I think is less chemical and good for babies health. But for long term prevention, I wish to suggest you to switch to milk powder that contains high pre-biotic
  15. maryjanewong

maryjanewong New Member

u can try Mamil to help in preventing constipation for ur LO.. Cos I used until quite good lehh, no constipation prob faced. This is due to its prebiotics ingredients, no sugar at all and also highest DHA level as compared to other brands. U can see the difference in 1 week time if u switch...
  16. Karynkoh

Karynkoh New Member

Its really effective although the price is a bit exp, but its for our kids.. as long as we can afford of course we want the best for them..
  17. Belindaven

Belindaven New Member

Avoid solid food for your child temporary cos too much of solid food will harden the stools.. Then, let your child drink plenty of water. I used to give my daughter a cup of water every morning when she is awake.
  18. halleyleong

halleyleong New Member

Mamil worked very well for me as my DD been drinking Mamil since last 2 years and her stools looks pretty healthy. As a responsible parents i think no harm trying out things which will bring benefit to our LO right, try mamil if ur LO is constipated..