Frugal Gardening tips.

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Soledad, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Soledad

Soledad Back to little sleep

First time renting a house with a backyard. This yard is all grass right now and landlord said we could plant a garden as long as when we were ready to move we reseed the back yard.

I plan on gardening in the back and maybe use raised beds. And some container gardening in the front porch area. The porch is very big and come summer I know I'll be getting more sunlight than I can want.

Please share any frugal tips you may have for me. We don't want to invest two much as we plan on moving in another year and a half.
  2. Barb

Barb Moderator Staff Member

no advice but subbing and bumping because I want to start gardening in our yard. Have chickens. H ave compost. Have no clue how to grow anything.
  3. marie35

marie35 New Member

gardening is a very healthy activity... i mostly past my free time doing gardening...
  4. Deanna

Deanna With arms wide open...

i'm trying to find the directions or pic of my compost bin. i love it, and we built it with scrap wood from our fence, so it was super cheap. i uploaded a pic of it here a long time ago... i like that i can move it anywhere in the yard, and it's easy to flip the pile (or even just part of it) when i'm ready for it. we dump all produce scraps in, egg shells, leaves, grass clippings, pumpkins, even shredded paper. for some reason, it had flies this fall, like crazy, so the kids added a huge layer of shredded paper, which took care of it.

this one is similar, and works much like mine--
    Building a Compost Bin - Fine Gardening Article

okay, found my post. there's a pic in this thread--
    http://www.amitymama.com/vb/marketplace/292200-tell-me-about-your-compost-pile.html

and directions here-- Digitalseed: Stackable Wood Bin

i just weeded my square foot veggie garden yesterday, with all the rain we had, i knew it would be easy peasy. i used my dandelion weeder (my fave tool), then put down about 2" of my very own compost. topped it with lots of grass clippings for mulch. we're expecting another storm this week, and some years we have an unexpected cold snap in March (yep, in So Cal), but I'll probably get some seeds in next week. if you're just starting out, i really like square foot gardening, there's a website out there and a book. it uses the space well, and is about staggering your plantings, so you don't have a huge crop of any one thing at once, but instead have a steady supply.
  5. Soledad

Thank you for posting. I like your compost bin. We HAd a worm composting system till I got lazy and they died. :badidea: . I hope to rebuild as soon as it's warmer.

We also have a compost tumbler but I'm alittle disappointed with it because we need to put all the matter and we can't add till it's all broken down. :vent:

I have lumber enough to do something similar to yours and thanks for the link to both pic and instructions on how to.
  6. Deanna

Deanna With arms wide open...

yeah, i looked at a ton of composters, and really don't like the ones that require a lot of work. or really, any work, lol. that's why i really like this one. oh, and i'm frugal as heck, so i didn't want to spend money on anything, and we had extra fencing!
  7. Kbsmama

Kbsmama Active Member

I made a compost bin last year out of a garbage can by drilling holes in it.

We also made a number of self watering containers from 5 gallon buckets and pvc pipe http://www.seattleoil.com/Flyers/Earthbox.pdf

We collected the buckets for free from bakeries at a couple grocery stores near us.
  8. Soledad

Oh I'm so loving the earthbox. Thanks for the link Kbsmama. I love all the tips and never thought of getting buckets from the bakery.
  9. artemis33

artemis33 Amity's Focus Member

When we moved here a year ago there were no veggie beds. We made them "lasagna style" right over the top of the lawn. If you can get them going early, you can still use them that year. We used old bricks as a border for most - we are adding beds this year using concrete blocks that we already had. We'll be salvaging similar items from freecycle or craigslist or maybe the dump/recycle center if they will let us - to finish a couple more beds this year and expand the garden a little.

We used uninked newsprint for the bottom layer since we had a bunch from moving. You can use regular newspaper or cardboard. Then we topped that with a mix of semi composted horse manure (free from our neighbor) and semi finished compost from our bins. We let that sit until planting time and them planted right in it. By the end of summer, the grass underneath was dead and the newspaper had mostly broken down. It wasn't perfect - our compost could have used more time to break down (you'd ideally do this in the fall and let it sit all winter) but we had a great productive garden, so it can be done!

If you have access to a pick up truck, there are often places that will sell compost by the truck load for a very reasonable price - much cheaper than buying by the bag.

Google 'lasagna gardening' to read lots more about this!

Another tip - talk with all of your gardening friend about taking any extra seeds or plants they might have. Most enthusiastic gardeners have more than they really need and are happy to share!
  10. Soledad

11. JessieKaitlin

JessieKaitlin New Member

I'm interested too! We moved into Hubby's grandfather's house last Summer. He kept a garden until he passed away, so we'd like to carry on the tradition... But, we have very little $$ and from what I remember, I kill plants. LOL
  12. JessieKaitlin

JessieKaitlin New Member

Any not to hijack the thread... But what are some easy plants to take care of?
  13. 3Gs4Me

3Gs4Me Blessed Beyond Belief!

Wrapped in the Loving Embrace of My Family
    subbing.

Jody,

Where did you get the buckets for free? They charge for them here in town. Also, what did you grow in them and did you have good production from the plants you did grow?
  14. Kbsmama

Kbsmama Active Member

I got them from the bakery at D&W. I may have a few from Meijer. I need to call and see if they can save some for for me, because I'd like to make a few more.

Most of what was in them was tomatoes, and, those didn't do great, but for a number of reasons. We also did strawberries, which did well, and basil. The soil I used was not great, and when they're in a container, it's got to be good. So, will be fixing that this year.
  15. Kbsmama

Kbsmama Active Member

Hey, Bobbi, What are they charging for buckets there? If they're cheap, I might consider buying some just so I can get my hands on a number of them at one time (and not have to wash frosting out of them, LOL). There's a place in Grant on Craigslist that has them for $1 a piece, but, due to the fact that I'm geographically challenged, I don't actually know where that is....

I've asked at the Meijer here lots of times, but I don't know if I ever managed to get any there. They're a little faster to get them into the trash, which is unfortunate.
  16. Rhea

Rhea Tickled by the view

Deanna, I love your compost bin. I'm so glad you shared it. I'd seen stackable ones before and liked them, but the frame the stacking was done in was fixed. I much prefer how yours can be moved around.

Bobbi Jo, I've grown tomatoes, cucumbers, and zucchini in the bucket system. This was inside the house (for heat and because of the goats and rabbits) so the plants had dry air to deal with too. The buckets worked great, but I did have to also water the cucumbers from above once they were huge and covered in fruit. But still, it was much easier than if they'd not had water available from below. I think mine could have used more access to the bottom bucket and the water.