for once, thought of a good response at the time!

Discussion in 'Large Families' started by Chickapea, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Chickapea

Chickapea Guest

Normally, I cannot think of a good response when someone says something and then I think of it later.

Well, took the two littles to the library and saw the librarian that I used to like until she started spouting off after Lauren was born about me making sure I don't have any more, better get my husband fixed, etc.

So, hadn't seen her in a long time. Actually avoided the library b/c of her, but have been taking La to story time since the kids went back to school.

So she says me and says "Hi! I haven't seen you in a long time! Oh! You have another! How many does this make?"

I said 5.

She gives me the look...you know...somewhere between pity and disgust? I hate that look...and says "God bless you." (in the "better you than me" tone).

I looked at her, smiled and said "He already has. Have a great day!" and walked away as I saw her with a shocked look on her face and heard her mumble "Yes, of course. He has." as I was going the other way.

Awwwww! I rarely think of a comment, but she irks me and I'm glad I was able to come up with a nice one that is the truth. Don't pity me. I am very blessed to have five lovely healthy children.
  2. hana

hana New Member

Good for you!!!
  3. I can't believe people give you a hard time about having 5 kids. That should only be veiwed as a blessing.
  4. beautifulfreak

beautifulfreak Sr. Entropy Control Spec.

people are so dumb they don't even begin to understand people that CHOSE to have large families....
  5. Amphitrite

Amphitrite Amity's Focus Member

Awesome answer. And truth. :D
  6. freedomlover

freedomlover ReaderOfThreads

Absolutely great response!
  7. Chickapea

Chickapea Guest

I think it's mainly that five children are not "normal" here. 2-3 is. Once I got to three, I started getting the "are you done?" comments.

The crazy thing is, in public, mine are almost always (we have an odd occasion where they aren't) well behaved, polite, show better manners than most adults that we come in to contact with, etc. So it is not as if my children are being bad exaples of large families. I honestly think it just boils down to the unusual and people feeling like anything different gives them a right to say something.

Mind you, we live in a small town. There are people that we see on a regular basis that are always sure to say hello and comment on how well behaved the kids are and what a beautiful family we have every single time that we see them. I appreciate it greatly, but we seem to run in to more of the other kind. :eek:
  8. tikva18

tikva18 busy building blocks

beautiful response!
  9. AlexNPeytonsMom

AlexNPeytonsMom Natural Mommy

Love it and will use it :)
  10. EMTonya

EMTonya learning....click...

that's great cindy!
  11. lovingmomma

lovingmomma Living with Preggo brain!

I have a friend that just recently found out that she was pregnant again. She is thrilled, but this will make #5 and was already worried about the comments. I told her that if anyone gives her a hastle she could always tell them "yes, I know where babies come from. If you have a problem with me being pregnant, take it up with GOD!"

My MIL got tired of hearing people ask her "dont you know what causes that yet?" when she was pregnant with her fourth. She got to where she started telling people, "yep! You ever thought maybe I like it"

A friend of mine had someone ask her in the grocery store "all the kids yours" Friend: "yep" Lady: "don't you have a TV?" My friend didn't know what to say she just kinda laughed and said yeah. I told her she should have told the lady "what do you think keeps the kids busy while I am getting pregnant?"

People really should just mind their own business!
  12. tarablesue

tarablesue ~PeAce~

I get "God Bless you" a lot too. Thanks, now I can use "yes he has already!" LOVE IT!!