Fix my machine please!

Discussion in 'Sewing & Craft' started by choleblack, Sep 13, 2006.

1. choleblack

choleblack Amity's Focus Member

argh **** it! I'm all ready here to finish a bunch of projects & the **** thing goes kaflooy on me.

It was fine til I bent a needle. I replaced the needle & now it's skipping stitches & breaking thread. I thought it was because I was top stitching 4 layers of heavy canvas. Tried it on 2 layers of quilters cotton & still skipping. Tried changing the needle again (& again). Tried changing the thread, tried cleaning & pulled out the bobbin case to clean uner, tried oiling it. Nada. :vent:

I'm going to go balistic if this doesn't straighten out. I've got a bag to topstitch for a friend & 4 little outfits for DD's doll that I want to finish today. Totally quick projects if the ****ed machine would just WORK!!!!!

Chole
  2. lovencloth

lovencloth Amity's Focus Member

did you clean the feed dogs? I had a bent needle that was caused by too much lint in the fd's, the fabric was not pulling through right and it bent the needle, then caused the machine to skip and break threads after I changed the needle. Hope you get it figured out.
  3. martinanne

martinanne Loving my girls!

Did you check the bobbin case to see if you got a bur on there somewhere? That has happened to me after breaking a needle. After being broken, the needle must have hit the bobbin case and caused a bur on the edge. I was able to file the bur down (the bobbin case was plastic) and continue sewing on it for a while. Eventually it needed replacing, though (weeks later).

good luck figuring out the problem. I feel your pain. It sucks when you can't get your machine to work.
  4. onlyboys

onlyboys New Member

Also, try to totally rethread it. Once I was skipping stitches and it turns out that it wasn't threaded right! HTH!
  5. choleblack

choleblack Amity's Focus Member

ahh I'll check the bobbin case a little better. This one probibly needs to be replaced as the machine is about 10 years old & was cheap to begin with. I also got some heavier duty needles today. I keep trying to sew through all these thick layers that a regular needle just can't handle.

YK, Something good came of this though. SO suggested (twice ;) ) that if the machine isn't cutting it maybe I should consider getting a higher quality one. He said that since I'm sewing so much & doing lots of heavier layers maybe I should have something better. Now that's why I love him!

Chole
  6. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck outta here

I threw the timing off on my machine when I broke a needle ... six inches from finishing the final hem of a project. I had to hand sew the last bit and I was NOT happy.

I did buy an ebook on sewing machine repair. I still havent been able to print it out and see if it is useful though. I think it's too big to send via email and I'm not sure how to put the file on my website. I'll try to get that up there if I can tomorrow