Finished out first day of MBtP!

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by TulaneMama, Feb 10, 2010.

1. TulaneMama

TulaneMama countdown mode

And we LOVED it! :woohoo: Well DS loved it! He did it all by himself and learned a LOT! He is excited to keep all of the parts for his final project/presentation and I am excited that he is excited!

I think that I will need to reorganize some things now and down-size extra books that we have and are not really using. I wish I has started this earlier with him. I really do. I think that I might choose a few lit units for him to do over the summer while we wait for the new level to be published.

Now to just try and give the kindergarten level a try!
  2. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

Glad he loved and could work independently, I am looking for something like that for G for next year. Will have to take another look at MBTP.
  3. 3boysnagrl

3boysnagrl Amity's Focus Member

4. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

Yay! I am glad he is enjoying it.
    We loved the kindergarten level, so hopefully that will work out for you too.

Make sure to include The Invention of Hugo Cabret. We are doing that one now and REALLY loving it. It is such a good match for us...magic, art, cinema, suspense, horology, inventions.....The kids can't wait for the next lesson.
  5. justthemama

justthemama Amity's Focus Member

Cool! We love the K stuff, really do. And I also regretted not finding it sooner (well, I think Teri turned me onto it!) for my now-almost-11yo ds.
  6. TulaneMama

Hugo Cabret is for the 9-11? I think that we will just finish up with these trial lessons that we have for now and finish what I laready have but start with a clean slate and the new program in the fall.

Please keep yours eyes and ears open for the kindergarten set FS please!
  7. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

Yes, it is 9-11.
    It is such a great book! I am doing it with all three kids, so we have four copies of that HUGE book. :lol:

I will watch for the 5-7. I have a friend that might be finishing it up. I will ask her what she is going to do with it.
  8. 3Gs4Me

3Gs4Me Blessed Beyond Belief!

Wrapped in the Loving Embrace of My Family
    Would love to know what you are talking about. For those of us just delving into homeschooling, I am not familiar with the initials or acronyms for products. Fill me in mama. :)
  9. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

10. TulaneMama

Teri, maybe such a HUGE book would last us the summer!!! I will look into it a bit more.
  11. TulaneMama

Do you read most of the books right alongside your kiddos? As in the same assigned chapters required of them? I would lOVE to read side by side with evan...but with little that is too much of a challenge at the moment.
  12. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

Yes, usually I download a copy of the book from Amazon for my ipod (with the kindle app). If it isn't available (most of them have been), I buy another copy.
    This is the first time that Libby is reading with us also, so we are reading this one out loud. Hugo Cabret is a great one for reading out loud.
    Even though it really is huge, it isn't taking long to read. It won the Caldecott award a couple of years ago because of the fabulous illustrations. The book is about 75% pictures, but done so incredibly well.
  13. amyincali

amyincali New Member

I'm thinking of ordering one of the literature units to try. Are the ones for 9-11 year olds pretty right on as far as level? I have a 9 year old but she's doing probably late 3rd grade work or early 4th grade. The Abe Lincoln unit would go right along with what we are doing now but my kids might like something like The House of Tailors or Lucy Whipple.
  14. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

9-11 is typically about a 5th grade level for reading or higher.
    8-10 is about 3rd grade level+ for reading.
    Think about the middle number for the level and it is about that grade level.
  15. 3Gs4Me

Figures that when we are homeschooling I will have a 5th and a 3rd grader. Is it possible to do one age range with both or does it make most sense to get both age ranges? My boy's are both strong readers. Gavin is reading 1.5 years above grade level and Gabe who is currently in 4th grade is reading at a 7th grade level.
  16. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

It really depends on some other things. The writing part of the curriculum can be pretty demanding.
    7-9 They are writing a paragraph by the end of the year.
    8-10 Moves up to a 3 paragraph paper
    9-11 has several 5 paragraph papers in it.

My 7 year old is doing the 9-11 with Joseph. Her reading level is about at 7th grade right now, I think. She reads faster and with better comprehension than Joseph (who is also above grade level, but not as much as Caroline).
    She is able to do the 9-11 with him, but I do make some modifications for her. If there are two options for an assignment, she gets the easier one and I require him to do more writing than her.
    She has been quite the trooper and keeps up very well. My 8 year old cannot stick with us long (she is dyslexic) so I am pretty sure that it wouldn't work with every pair of kids.
  17. 3Gs4Me

Thank you. I just went to the link and watched one of the curriculum videos which gave me a better idea of the curriculum. It looks like a great system. I am curious how much time you spend on this each day and how much is done by the child versus working with an adult. Having all three at home is a real probability for us next year and I am a bit apprehensive of the time involved.

Also, do you find it cheaper to find the books on your own or to just buy the whole curriculum?
  18. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

Actually, I think it is easier and cheaper to let them send you the books. By the time you start shopping around for them and add in shipping, it can cost a lot more than you would think to assemble them all...unless you just already have a bunch of them. When I get a spare book for me to read, I generally just download it or buy it when I need it.
    Half-Price books is an ok option for the novels, but not for a lot of the science/social studies books.
    When Joseph was doing 5-7 it took less than an hour to do everything for the day.
    Now, with the 9-11, plus Teaching Textbooks for Math, and practicing drums,
    I would say that we are doing school for about 3-4 hours per day.
    We usually work from 9 or 10 to 12, eat lunch, drive to Scottish Rite for Libby and then do our literature unit while Libby is in class for 1 1/2 hours.
    So that includes reading 2-3 chapters for a literature unit (which we read independently usually).
  19. 3Gs4Me

Thank you. I really appreciate your input. Looks as if it would be pretty pricey the first year but after that I would likely be able to use already bought levels for the younger two.
  20. 3Gs4Me

I just realized the 9-11 is their last unit. Do you have any ideas of where you will go after your children have completed this level? By the looks of it I would get 1 or 2 years for my oldest from it and 2-3 for my middle child.