Finally!

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by 3Gs4Me, Nov 15, 2010.

1. 3Gs4Me

3Gs4Me Blessed Beyond Belief!

Wrapped in the Loving Embrace of My Family
    We are finally doing it. Letter of intent to homeschool is going out to teachers and the principal tonight. This will be effective immediately and the kids will not be going back to school. Dh will go in on Friday to collect their things.

We are giving the kids through the end of the month to de-school and we will start homeschooling with curriculum on Dec. 2nd (dh and I are going out of town the 30th and 1st). I have Story of the World and Math U See bought for Gavin and Gwen, and LLATL for Gavin. Need to get both Math U See and LLATL for Gabe and some supplemental material for Gwen. I also have earth science and physical science experiment books that we will base our science studies off of and a really cool home economics curriculum I got from the resouce library at dh's school.

I am excited to finally commit to this but also a bit nervous. There are not any good fits for homeschool groups in our area so support is at a minimum. I trust we will find the support we need.
  2. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

Congrats and I think you will love this journey!
  3. tikva18

tikva18 busy building blocks

Congratulations! We haven't found any homeschooling group either, but are having fun on our own and have had a lot of positive responses from people in the community when they hear what I'm doing.
  4. sweet~potato

sweet~potato Active Member

That's great! Good luck!:)
  5. heythereheather

heythereheather A reading family

Good luck to you! I know you're going to do just fine. :) Do you know, mentally I always have had you categorized as a homeschooling family. It surprised me when you started talking about it last time, because I just figured you did homeschool.
  6. 3Gs4Me

3Gs4Me Blessed Beyond Belief!

Wrapped in the Loving Embrace of My Family
    Glad to know I already personify it. :) Actually though, I was a teacher and dh was a spec. ed teacher and is now a public school administrator. I think that is part of the reason it has taken so long because we feel so much connection to the public school system and didn't want to let it down.

Dh is afraid the kids will get bored during out de-schooling time so I plan on doing little things with them. We are going to fill three boxes for Samaritan's purse. Kids don't know about the organization yet so I thought we could spend a bit of time today researching it and then I will give them X amount of money to fill their boxes. Should be fun to see what they come up with.
  7. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

Congratulations!
    Have a happy de-schooling time....it sounds like a fun project.
  8. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

That sounds like a really good plan. I know my boys get easily bored and antsy when we have too many free days.
  9. 3boysnagrl

3boysnagrl Amity's Focus Member

Me too. Isn't it funny how we classify people on the net. BTW, Heather, I have you in that category, too for some reason. I have to remind myself. :)

Congratulations, Bobbi Jo. I bet you guys will have a blast. And now is a perfect time for a break/transition. Thanksgiving is next week, you can just really enjoy your family all together.

Every year after Thanksgiving we start reading LFrank Baum's Santa Clause story. Most other serious homeschool work goes to the wayside until after Christmas and we spend our time baking, making things and reading fun Christmas stories. :heart smirk:
  10. houdini

houdini New Member

Enjoy!!! I am not homeschooling anymore, but would love to be. :)
  11. amyincali

amyincali New Member

I'd seen you post before about thinking about homeschooling. It must be hard leap to make with such strong ties to the public school system. We're lucky to have a nice homeschool group right now but I've homeschooled without a group before. If your kids have outside interests and friends I think it will be fine without a group.

I'm using Story of the World 3 this year with my 10 yo dd as part of My Father's World and I really like it. I've never used it before this year. We've done both LLATL and MUS at various times and liked both of them too. I think you'll have a lot of fun.
  12. heythereheather

heythereheather A reading family

Heather, even though we never officially homeschooled at all, I still consider myself a homeschooler who decided to do public school for now. :lol: So I guess I classify myself that way, too. :)