February expenses that you need to TRACK (not groceries)

Discussion in 'Mama's Simplifying and Thrift forum' started by littlelemon, Jan 29, 2011.

1. littlelemon

littlelemon Active Member

The biggest budget buster in this house is gas for our vehicles. I have a horrible time with this part of the budget. Some of it is the fluctuating gas prices, but mostly it is us not making a good enough effort to reduce our driving trips. I really need to make a serious effort to stay within budget here, and in doing so limit our driving. Our gas budget is set at $350 a month (4 weeks). I am sure that is really high for some of you, but we live out in the country, and my husband drives 40 miles a day for work and I drive 22. Neither of our vehicles gets great gas mileage.

This is my accountability thread. Please add your trackable expenses this month if you would like!
  2. Tremor Christ

Tremor Christ Amity's Focus Member

Well I got my first child support yesterday. I need to work on a budget. I wanted to get something like Quicken but I bet they don't support my little local bank, Mint.com doesn't and it looks like they are the same thing/company.

I need to figure out cat and dog food. I got the cats Chicken Soup food and well the dog has been eating it too, so we're almost out. I'm guessing I need to get the same brand for both of them. Since we've only had the dog for a few weeks I need to figure out how much food to budget in for each month.
  3. xt

xt Active Member

Mindi, if your little local bank has a way to download your transaction info in the quicken format in its online banking stuff, then you can use Quicken. I forget what the file type is, though. It's been a decade since I've used it, but that's how I used to do it long before this instant business came about.

We have a gas budget issue, too, but I don't even know what it should be right now. I'm not commuting to school, but everything is miles away from home. Work is 8 miles each way, and that's about as close as it gets from here.
  4. Tremor Christ

Tremor Christ Amity's Focus Member

Oh neat! Maybe I'll see if I can figure it out. I really need to 'see' stuff for it to work for me. This would help so much!

THANKS XT!
  5. emmas~clogs

emmas~clogs meanie mommy ;)

Our gas budget is $200 a month and we live in town- my dh's work is just a couple of miles away. We actually sold our SUV recently and went to one car to save $ on gas and maintenance for a while. I do think we pay more for gas here than many other areas. We are doing a good job on staying on budget for gas because I don't do a lot of driving, although I do drive 45 minutes away on Fridays during the school year for a class for the kids. Currently it's $50 to fill up the car and we only do it weekly. If we are planning to drive farther on the weekend for an outing we would need to take that money from another category.
  6. houdini

houdini New Member

Our gas budget is not very fixed right now. The problem is that we are pretty far from everything, and need to get to everything pretty regularly. We have to deliver kids to their dads and/or school all the time. Maybe we can work on this by at least trying to use the small car for short trips, and the large car for trips with more than 4 people.
  7. littlelemon

$42 to fill up wagon. 350-42=$308
  8. littlelemon

$40 for van
    $20 for wagon

$308-$60=$248
  9. littlelemon

$30 in the van
    $248-30=$218
  10. littlelemon

$47 in the van
    $48 in the car (we sold our wagon and bought with cash a much more fuel efficient car)
    $50 in the van

218-145=$73 left for the month
  11. littlelemon

$53 in the van.

$20 left for the month, and I think we are going to make it!!!!!!!! :)
  12. littlelemon

We made it!!! $20 under for the month! That has never happened before. It just goes to show that I really CAN stick to the budget if I make a deliberate effort :)
    1 person likes this.