Fear of Dogs

Discussion in 'EFT, Emotional Freedom Technique' started by Natalia, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Natalia

Natalia New Member

My 8 yo (in the sig picture below) is terrified of dogs. I have tapped on various features, given homeopathic remedies for fear of dogs, given the Bach Flower remedy for specific fears. Maybe slightly diminished -- but still very scared.

It is the running and unpredictability of the dogs the scares him. He is o.k. if they are standing still or lying down. Will even pet them if they are calm and still. I have tapped on the running, the jumping. Both in the moment and in evenings.

Any other ideas?
  2. Linda

Linda Amity's Focus Member

I would gently ask him more questions...

When a dog is running...or moving...
    what does he

see?

tell himself or hear?

what does he feel?

...where does he feel the scared/fear feelings in his body? What do those feelings look like feel like and do they say anything or do they tell him anything...(we did this in your session, I think) then you can ask him to step back from his body feelings and see if he can look at them and tap while describing them...

ask general questions like the above. You can also get more pointed, by asking..do you see the teeth? Tail wagging? the dogs nails? what about the dogs movement is scary? etc.

Let him tell you the exact aspects that are scary to him.

Also does he remember the first time he was scared of a dog? Or the time around a dog that he was MOST scared. What was it about that time that was so scary?
    HTH!
    If you need more help let me know.:)
  3. Rhea

Rhea Tickled by the view

My thought was you need more in Andrew's own words about it, and then I saw that Linda gave you some great ideas on how to get that info. So I'll just say...

:nodyes: to Linda's advice.

Rhea
  4. Natalia

Natalia New Member

Thanks for the tips Linda. One of the challenges with Andrew is that his language is still very limited compared to an average 8 yo (or 3 yo in may ways). He could not answer most of those questions. I forgot to mention that in my op.

I have tried talking about the teeth, the jumping while tapping. Do you think I would do better with surrogate tapping? I have been tapping on him and, in general, he is receptive and likes it.
  5. Rhea

Rhea Tickled by the view

What about NLP? I've read online that some people frown on Anthony Robbin's NLP books, but I walked my husband through Anthony's steps and his fear of wasps went away and stayed away. It was so long ago I don't remember the steps. It had to do with picturing the wasp in color, black and white, tiny and far away, stuff like that. So if your son can picture things as you direct him, maybe something like that would work.

Rhea
  6. Linda

Linda Amity's Focus Member

I am not a big fan of Anthony Robbins, but I LOOOVE NLP:) IT works.
    And yes, I agree...
    you can definitely use the NLP stuff just like with the movie technique we have stickied.

But why not try surrogate tapping? Pretend you are your son and tap on all the aspects for him...including his ability to communicate exactly what it is about the doggie that scares him. Is it frustrating for him not to be able to tell you? Also tap on your issues around this one...
    That is what I did with Aidra and her UTI's. I just hit all the aspects that might be an issue for her.
    You can do the NLP stuff surrpogately for him as well.

Pretend you are seeing the doggie in front of you, moving around being unpredictable..going from crotch, to crotch...lol! THen see the doggie on a movie screen in front of you...the move the movie screen really far across the room...so that the doggie is really small! then switch it to black and white across the room....
    Much less threatening
    Can do this while tapping or not.

:)
  7. Natalia

Natalia New Member

That is an interesting thought. I will try that as well as NLP (thanks Rhea). I don't know anything about NLP though, so I will have to learn somewhere. Any ideas?
  8. Kat Miller

Kat Miller New Member

Hi Natalia,

There are a few Switchwords that may be
    very useful for this situation:

BLUFF - to dispel fear or nervousness

COVER - to reduce nervousness; subdue inner excitement

and, to address letting go of the fear for future
    similar situations:

POSTPONE - to let it go

or

DEDICATE - to stop clinging

You can just tap the Switchwords through EFT
    or you can put the focus in as well:

POSTPONE-BLUFF-dogs
    POSTPONE-COVER-dogs
    DEDICATE-BLUFF-dogs
    DEDICATE-COVER-dogs

You can add more specifics too, if you
    feel you need to, like:

DEDICATE-BLUFF-growling dogs

I would, however, first do dogs in general.

Kat
  9. Natalia

Natalia New Member

I don't know anything about Switchwords. Can you say a few words?
  10. Kat Miller

Kat Miller New Member

Hi Natalia,

All of the words in full caps in my last post are
    Switchwords.

I will post a note on the forum shortly explaining
    more about Switchwords.

Kat