Fascinating..tapping with my kids

Discussion in 'EFT, Emotional Freedom Technique' started by Linda, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Linda

Linda Amity's Focus Member

Well, three days ago, I decided to make tapping an integral part of my relationship with Leah. So, every night while dh puts Aidra to sleep, I lie with Leah on the couch and I ask her to tell me about her day. That way we can tap on stuff that upset her during her day. Also, she has a couple of ongoing issues that we can tap on if nothing bothered her that day. SHe has been loving it.

I she tells me an upsetting story, I tap for her. Then I have her tell it as a black and white movie...using the third person. Then I have her tell it backwards(with my hel of course) and then we tell it forward and backwards with her favorite cartoon characters standing in as the main characters. We both laugh soooo mcuh. It is soo fun.The we have been working on stuff like her thumb sucking and her ruptured ear drum.

The first night I did it, I had been in a foul mood for two days. I did some 'mechanical' tapping when things got bad, but did not really tap on my own issues. After I did a 30 minute tapping session with Leah that night my mood COMPLETELY shifted. I became mellow and calm since then. It is just surreal. Dh noticed as well. I have been *extremely* patient with both kids since I started tappping with Leah. I have not done any tapping on my issues on purpose. Tonite I will tap for me...but I just wanted to see what might happen without tapping on me for a while.

AMAZING.

I LOVE EFT., IT is so empowring...effective and incredible.
  2. Linda

Oh, I wanted to mention that I make it Leah's choice about tapping. If she makes motions that she really does not want to...we fdo 'fun' story telling tapping together. She makes up a silly giggly story and we laugh and tap. Then I move her into the more serious stuff, which seems to work as a transition. Then she is totally ready to take on the more serious stuff.

Creative parenting tapping...101. It is HARD.
  3. Deborah

Deborah New Member

This sounds so cool -- none of my daughters want to tap with me -- probably because I give off the air of wanting to fix them.

My son will tap if he really needs it -- did you know you can tap for having to go to the bathroom ... one time we had a long drive and he had to go and we were almost at the airport (our destination) -- he and I ran through the baggage claim area with him tapping and me saying keep tapping, you can make it .... it was quite the sight ...
  4. ~Meeshi~

~Meeshi~ Also Known As Michelle

So how would one tap to become more patient? I've been "off" these last few weeks and short on the patience, especially with Kaya.
  5. Linda

You know which technique sucked Leah(and me) right in?

Rehana taught us the 'tell as story' and 'movie' techniques. And it really appeals to us. Especially the cartoon character bits.

So...she taught us this way.
    Find the specific incident. Your movie with the beginning middle and end.
    1) tell the story in first person 'I'
    2) tell the story in black and white and third person 'she, he,'etc. do this until it feels comfortable in third person.
    3) tell in B&W third person BACKWARDS. truly backwards.
    4) tell the story as a technicolor cartoon inserting cartoon characters for the people. (the players are still there...kind of like a cartoon/real person morph)
    5) tell the story with in technicolor, with cartoon characters backwards.
    6) tell the story in technicolor with cartoon characters with very upbeat music overlaying the whole story.
    For the music, the other person can hum it...or you can just have it recorded and play it. You can have it on your IPOD/MP3 or on a Cd etc.In our Workshop we used Benny Hill theme song and Can Can music. You can download music form the internet. Also, cartoon themes would work great for kids. Anything UPBEAT...no words.

Telling the story in third person dissociates the story teller from it..by switching from 'I' to 'she'. Then they further dissociate them selves from it by adding cartoon characters and music overlay. Now if the incident is horrific, like abuse or a bomb blast etc...you must use your judgement...technicolor and cartoon characters would most likely not be appropriate. However, you can do the B&W movie over and over in third person forward and backward. You are making new associations with the memory. Totally jives with my Neurobiology background. You are causing a pattern interrupt.

This method is so very cool! I watched people just shift quickly using this technique. It really is not all that time intensive to do...especially since it is so effective.

This is how I got my daughter into the tapping...the whole cartoon characters /backwards and music. She thinks it is so hilarious and fun.

Just think...
    Shrek, Fiona, Popeye, Olive Oil, Lightening McQueen, Sylvester, Tweety, Wicked Stepmother, Fairy Godmother, Cinderella, Snow WHite, the Seven Dwarves, Kiki...Nemo...Porky Pig...the list is endless.

Fun, fun, fun!

And Deborah, you must have been quite the sight running through baggage claim...lol!
  6. Kbsmama

Kbsmama Active Member

I haven't had much luck with tapping with my kids, but I need to keep trying. Patience is a real issue for me still.
  7. Deborah

Deborah New Member

This is great -- I don't know this method with such variations of telling the story -- thanks so much for sharing it .... I love cartoon character idea ...
    mmmm - who would I be?!

- Deb.