Failed Crops

Discussion in 'Homesteading' started by BlueRoseMama, Sep 28, 2010.

1. BlueRoseMama

BlueRoseMama Amity's Focus Member

When I dare to be powerful -- to use my strength i
    This is the first time in my gardening life I can say I have had more failed crops than successful ones. I usually am good at this... but this year just threw me for a loop.

I have lots of reasons... started later due to the season, ending early due to the weather, pregnancy, shootings, homeschooling, new house, dead animals, etc... but it still feels like a blow to me. I keep wondering what I could have done differently.... but I doubt it is helping much.

Cherry tomatoes are in full swing and I keep picking them. But they are split because of the rain. All of them. So they go bad nearly instantly. :( Beets were the only things I didn't seed tape this year, but then I couldn't eat the greens so the natural thinning I usually do didn't happen and now there is no beet out there over an inch wide. Ugh! I could go on and on...

Next year will be better.
  2. cathleenc

cathleenc dirty. good dirt.

you didn't have any failed crops - you had lots of learning opportunities!

honestly, sounds like you did pretty good, considering.

I think it's pretty impossible to keep cherry tomatoes from splitting, rain or no rain. My expert gardening friend says the only way is to plant them in pots and use precise watering 2x a day - and that the varieties that are not supposed to crack tend to taste very forgetable.
  3. justthemama

justthemama Amity's Focus Member

Well, I can relate. I know what happened here...I didn't thin things out as much as I should have. I have no pumpkins that made it (squash bugs) and had to rip everything out (which was lots of melons, more squash, peppers, etc.). My yukon golds didn't make it either...and I spent $20 on the starts. I had more but they went moldy....I guess I didn't store them right!

I wanted to do another round of tomatoes but we decided to redo the yard a bit cause it looks like crap. We're moving from 8" high wooden raised beds to ones made out of retaining wall blocks--much taller to try and keep the bermuda out (it takes over the beds). I'm hoping we can get them in fast enough for me to take advantage of the fall/winter planting season here.
  4. BlueRoseMama

BlueRoseMama Amity's Focus Member

When I dare to be powerful -- to use my strength i
    I just took a picture of my "harvest" and although I am sad that this is all I got, I am SO proud of how beautiful those trellis squash are! They have to cure for a few weeks (I usually give them three) but I will SO enjoy those! :) None of my other squash made it. Just the ones that were in this particular bed. But goodness they are pretty!

[​IMG]
  5. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

Oh, go easy on yourself! ;) You're fantastic, no matter how few things in your garden produced this year (which, to me, your failure sounds like success).
  6. Katie

Katie Amity's Focus Member

That's a really pretty basket of goods. yep. :)
  7. mom2jflc

mom2jflc Menagerie Mama

Looks beautiful, no matter what went wrong. And you have corn! We gave up a few years ago, as not much grew and the birds got the rest.

Here, the broccoli never grew properly (too hot I think), broccoli rabe bolted (also too hot), our first tomato seedlings burned up (see a trend here?), and we're hoping for some ripe tomatoes from the second set before the end of the season. We did, however, have lots of blackberries, cucumbers, and green beans, so I can't complain too much.