Extreme Oral Sensitivity

Discussion in 'EFT, Emotional Freedom Technique' started by Natalia, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Natalia

Natalia New Member

I am looking for help and suggestions for 7 1/2 yo ds. He weighs about 41 lbs. He is diagnosed with autism and has extreme oral sensitivity. He has been treated with constitutional homeopathy since birth and, about a year ago, started eating a wider variety of foods, even allowing for some textures to be introduced. About 5 days ago, he began spitting out food -- which had been almost entirely resolved. His oral sensitivity is such that even completely pureed foods are now being rejected because they are too thick, or he feels some texture that I can neither see nor feel.

He did have some new remedies from a new homeopath -- so I will be checking with him soon. But, if anybody has some suggestions for EFT set-up phrases, I would welcome the opportunity to work with those.

What are your experiences tapping on the child v. surrogate tapping?
  2. Linda

Linda Amity's Focus Member

I promise to give you some input on this...let me have a think on it. I will also give you my input on surrogate tapping.

did you know about the new discussion boards for EFT
    one is just for kids..you might get some input there as well.
    Forums - eft4kids
    Forums - EFT Community
    (I've got to go pick up my dd now:))
  3. Natalia

Natalia New Member

Thanks. I x-posted at the EFT for Kids forum.
  4. Deborah

Deborah New Member

Hi Natalia,

A few thoughts came to mind when I read your post --

First of all I would definitely surrogate tap for this --- it's pretty intense stuff
    and the wording is not appropriate for your son. Once you've cleared some of it out, then you could tap with him.

Also, tap on your reaction to this -- guessing here as I know nothing about you ---

Even though I thought we'd made so much progress and we are back to him not eating, I love and accept myself fully.
    Even this is so frustrating, and heart-breaking, to see my son not eat, and I just want him to be normal, I accept my feelings and know I'm doing the best I can.
    Even though my son isn't eating, and I have to do all this special stuff for him, I love and accept myself fully ....

I have no idea if any of these are on --

If you tune into your son and start tapping (as though you were him so speaking in first person) you might be surprised what you notice .... as soon as I read your post and thought of your son, I got some really intense body sensations so that's what I'm going on ...

Even though I'm panicking, and I can't stand the feel of anything in my mouth, I'm still okay.
    Even though I'm on high-alert,and I have to be so careful of what is in my mouth, I'm still okay.
    Even though I'm choking (this feels very early to me -- did he have tubes or anything as a baby?), and I have to save myself, I'm still okay.
    Even though I'm so scared, and I can't protect myself, I'm still okay.
    Even though I was scared, and it wasn't okay, I'm open to the idea that's it is safe now.

This is heavy stuff so let me know if you need stuff .. again -- I don't know if this is on track at all but it gives you an idea ...

I know Linda is replying as well ... and you might get some good answers at the kids forum.

Hugs,
    Deb.
  5. Natalia

Natalia New Member

Deborah

Your suggestions are fabulous and I will try them in a minute. Especially your insights about Andrew. He never had a feeding tube or early difficulties that I know of. Though he was born with the cord around his neck -- so maybe this is something to explore. He was breathing on his own and seemed fine to me, but (he was born in a hospital), the ped. thought he was not "pink enough" and he was taken immediately after birth to have some IV fluids. He was only there an hour or so and seemed fine when I got him -- nursed, slept, everything seemed o.k. But it must have been traumatic to be separated from me right after birth.

Thanks. Your comments have given me a lot think about wrt the gagging that I never considered.
  6. Linda

ON surrogate tapping, I really want to emphasize , definitely tap on your own issues regarding what is going on with your child first, before you tap for your child. That way you can be clear and present for him. And often part of the issue for the child actually comes from your reaction to what is going on. Now that said, that does NOT mean you can't tap for your child first...just something to think about in general.

I like Deborah's input so I'll give you more on how to tap for your child in general.

I would ask what is your child's history with food? What was your pregnancy and birth like(birth story from your point of view and form his)? Does he have food allergies or intolerances? I would really look into his history and see what events might have shaped him. Was there ever a time where you got upset with him in regards to food or eating that stands out in your memory? IS there and incident where you remember him chocking when he was small? Make a list of events that happened for him that would have been unpleasant or scary. Then you tap on those incidents for him...surrogately. You use the tell the story technique/movie technique. Tune into the incident you want to tap on for him and see if you can get a 0-10 intensity on it, then tap telling the story.

For example, when thinking about the cord around his neck, you can tap on that. Just go inside yourself and imagine what that might have been like for him. Given he is obviously a sensitive child, for him that might have been very scary, and choking to him while for another baby in utero, it might have just been normal and no big deal. Does that make sense? You don't have to get the details exactly right, when you are tapping on something like this. If it comes to your mind, then tell the story that way.
  7. Natalia

Natalia New Member

Thanks Linda. I will try that too. Writing out the story. And, I am sad to say, I did in the past force him to eat. I hope that you know that this was because I was terrified that he wasn't growing and was hurting himself. But I'm sure that he could not have known the reason. Facing your past is very humbling.
  8. Linda

Oh Natalia, the great thing is now you have EFT / tapping to help you let go of your guilt and the negative scary stuff. We are all human. OK? No judgement here.

You tap on your guilt first for forcing him...and clear that. Often to clear guilt over an issue you need to tap from their point of view anyway. Then tap on it form your child's point of view...what his feelings might have been when those incidents were happening.

If you need more help or explanation, please ask.
  9. Deborah

Deborah New Member

Natalia,
    You are so awesome -- I firmly believe that everything we do has a positive intent -- so it's okay to release that memory .... I still have some of my own to release so I'm right there with you ....
    Hugs,
    Deb.
  10. Linda

Oh, and I can add, my guilt over putting my baby 'through' NAET treatments. Not being able to breastfeed for HOURS on end. We did it for a year and a half. When she was tiny it was easier..and when she was older it was easier...but in the middle it was HELL. Yes, I believe I was doing the best thing for her, and we all got so healthy doing NAET, but I have guilt.

OK...another one to *my* list.
  11. Natalia

Natalia New Member

Thank you so much Linda and Deborah. Your practical suggestions and words of support are much appreciated. I hope that as I heal and learn more about EFT, I will be able to pay you kindness forward.
  12. Natalia

Natalia New Member

Update

I worked with all of the tapping suggestions and whatever else came up and Andrew is eating better. Hooray -- and thank you!!! :heart:

I will keep tapping. Totally comforatable eating for Andrew coming up. :rainbow:
  13. Linda

What a WONDERFUL update!
  14. Deborah

Deborah New Member

Way to go Natalia -- great work! Andrew's lucky to have you as his mother ....

Hugs,
    Deb.