Excited to start organizing my cleaning

Discussion in 'Mama's Simplifying and Thrift forum' started by honeybee52000, May 16, 2010.

1. honeybee52000

honeybee52000 New Member

It was suggested I jump to this thread.... glad I found it!

Am going to start organizing my cleaning schedule (or lack-there-of) and starting tomorrow morning, will be attempting to be more productive in bits n pieces throughout each day.... instead of feeling overwhelmed b/c I can't get it all done!

Any tips, suggestions? What has worked for you and your household??
  2. honeybee52000

honeybee52000 New Member

Oh, also it was suggested to visit MotivatedMoms website... that was pretty much what I was thinking I need to start (chore chart for me) so that I know 1) the house will get cleaned 2) I'll have time to do the things I want to do instead of feeling weighed down by the never-ending messy house!

Is this typical for transitioning to being a SAHM for the first time?
  3. Kbsmama

Kbsmama Active Member

I think it's hard to get a routine figured out...at least it has been for me. I've used Motivated Moms before, and it is helpful. I've also followed FlyLady. I learned a lot from her about establishing routines and just my attitude about cleaning in general.

That said, I'm not good at keeping house. I wasn't taught "how." I never had to make my bed as a child or have any regular chores. My mom was made to keep house for my grandparents, and I think she avoided cleaning as an act of rebellion. So, we were often in chaos. My parents were poor and still hang on to everything. I have learned that it is so much easier to keep everything clean if we only store and keep what is absolutely necessary. This is an ongoing battle with four kids and all that they receive in gifts, clothing, and school and artwork, and piles of rocks (literally--my DS (12) has started a "rock collection" which involves about 3 piles of rocks throughout his room, not in reasonable locations. I have told him he needs to stop collecting rocks and start collecting containers in which to store them,LOL).

I have recently gone through nearly every item in our house (I've done this before, but this is probably the most extensive since DD was born--no pregnancy hormones to motivate me. We had some smoke damage and everything had to be cleaned by cleaners, and everything was out of order, so I had to put it all back in place, so what better time to do a purge?

Anyway, I don't know if that helps you at all. I am babbling--not feeling great today and sleep-deprived....
  4. mamagael

mamagael Moderator Staff Member

Just remember, some days you will get a lot done, and some days not so much.:) I have a problem with that.
  5. houdini

houdini New Member

Gael, I know what you mean. Also experiencing the sleep deprivation influence, like Jody.

When I am not feeling like a headless chicken, I find that a timer set to 15 minutes per room helps a lot. If I don't use the timer, I get distracted and burn myself out in a room. Haven't done this in a while. Need to get back to it.
  6. Kbsmama

Kbsmama Active Member

Yeah, 15 minutes in a room can do wonders. That was one of the things I took from FlyLady, though I've seen it in other places since then.

And, I'm just really starting to get on top of my house (when my DD's aren't in massive mess-making mode), and my youngest is 3. Having babies in the house is a full-time job in itself.
  7. honeybee52000

honeybee52000 New Member

I've done the 15 min with a timer in ea room...for those exact same reasons too. I've added the once a week 15 min in ea room to my chart :)

So I'm still editing the daily/weekly/monthly charts.... So far I was frustrated b/c the very first day, I got 3 out of 15 things done. 3!? Argh! It was an unusually demanding day for my daughter... However, today, I sent her away with her God-Parents... got ALOT done in the 3 hours she was not here! Wow!

Now, I feel like I can do the 'maintenance' cleaning and already like the apartment better! Hooray!

My routine? What's that? lol .... totally revolves around breast feeding, settling into naps, and crawling!
  8. honeybee52000

honeybee52000 New Member

LMBO!!! I have to share! ..... you mentioned FlyLady.... I thought that was an Amity Mama user name, so I've been searching throughout the site trying to find this FlyLady person... finally I googled it as a last resort before sending a private message asking about this person..... HAHAAA!

tee hee
  9. mamagael

mamagael Moderator Staff Member

Oh, great reminder. Off to locate kitchen timer, and TURN OFF PUTER!!!
  10. honeybee52000

honeybee52000 New Member

ok, am so "in love" with FlyLady.... I'm on Day2, have sent it on to my mom & sister.... boy are we exactly as is described! (ok, I have a clean sink b/c a dirty sink has always been a peeve to me... but I did indeed start by scrubbing, sanitizing and SHINING my sink!)

and I'm off like stripes, on the chore chart! My DH is pleased that cleaning's getting done and that my ATTITUDE is better!!!

now, I'm still editing the chore chart, and what is realistic for me to get done typically... but it's already so much better in this home!
  11. BlueRoseMama

BlueRoseMama Amity's Focus Member

When I dare to be powerful -- to use my strength i
    I love Motivated Moms. I put the weekly list on my fridge and have a months worth in my binder. Then the kids each have one too... although Logan's is all pictures at the moment and it doesn't go past 10am. He IS three. lol! But Cyan and Alex have chores morning and evening, and they get them done consistantly. Esp Alex. He is great about his main chore; the dishes! It is a beast as I cook three meals a day here and sometimes more... so that is his only big chore. The others are small, like take out the garbage, and pick up 10 things to put in their place.