everything's broken and my garden is NOT in.

Discussion in 'Homesteading' started by Katie, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Katie

Katie Amity's Focus Member

the tiller, the mower, the cart, the trailer. I'd fix one and the next would break, lather, rinse, repeat.

I drive by an amish family working their field at least a half dozen times per week. Their entire field is planted and staked. Looks like there are at least 100 stakes out there, probably tomato plants. Five acres, at least, of neat rows of tiny little sprouts.

I watched them do the whole thing with two horses. :rolleyes: yep, I sure got that technologically advanced thing going on.
  2. deb215

deb215 Active Member

how much land are you needing to till?

you need one like my dad used to use. it had about 1/2 dozen prongs and a big wheel with handles. his garden was around a tennis court in size though.
    but since he retired he would just rent one from the hardware store for an hour or so. to much work he said lol
  3. lakshmi_mama

lakshmi_mama cleaning house

yes! This is exactly why we are looking to minimize our use of machinery on the finca. We will use some. It is inevitable. But much less than most.

plus lets not minimize the fact that you have been working on someone else's farm for so much of this season. It is not like you have been attending 100% to your own property. That is okay. You are really helping someone and your rewards will be numerous for that.
  4. Katie

Wellllll. lol. I wanted to do the 40x40 bed but I've conceded to just a little 15x15 space out behind the coop. In the mean time, I'm shoving veggies in the flower gardens anywhere they'll fit. Well, stuff the deer won't eat anyway. I walk around shoving onion bulbs everywhere. So, I should be good on onions. lol.

I know. You're right. A little bit of (functioning) technology could have gone a long way to help. Nevermind I broke my own golden rule; never loan out your tiller, it comes back broken. I'm turning stuff over with a dirt fork because I've moved past frustrated and right into doing it on she-power just to prove some imaginary point. :p

I spend a good deal of time (on the road in my gasoline car) rethinking power equipment for our future land endeavors. For instance, if young 14 year old Henry can operate a team of four horses with one hand and still chat me up, surely I can give this serious consideration....some day.

I'm starting to realize a theme. All sorts of tools intended to help, do nothing but inhibit progress.

I want to end on an up note. lol. A local town just overturned their "no sheep in town" ordinance so a business owner could keep sheep to mow his commercial lot. Isn't that great? I read that last night and was almost giddy for him.
  5. hannahsorchard

hannahsorchard Happy... so very happy :)

I bought a claw cultivator the other day to make a flower bed and man is that hard work. but not in the area that's already been used sometime recently. I know it prob would be harder to use for a bigger area but it was 19.99 at Ace.
  6. Storm

Storm Amity Teen

Sawyer has become obsessed with oxen. I don't know where or how he got started on it but he REALLY wants one for over at his dad's to plow and drag carts. I just want horses again and I don't see why draft horses won't suffice but he wants an ox.

I think I broke him with the last cat. I was the one going "more animals, more pets!" and every time after much discussion and begging on my part he would grudgingly accept "just one more". The other day I was talking about a future dog and he started talking about what breed! No refusal, no we have too many animals, just "could we get another corgi?" I've mentioned sheep a few times and he's fine with it! HE is the one who arranged for three more chicks this spring. A couple of months ago I was all "I really want some more chickens", and he was like "yeah I already ordered the buff orpingtons you wanted last year". Oh, well okay then.

His dad has plenty of land and sawyer is really into this ox thing. I'm better with animals than he is and he has zero large animal experience, I think I'm going to end up having to learn how to take care of the monsters. :eek:
  7. tara

tara Amity's Focus Member

I have a high school friend who's out in Oregon. She is a fine artist that somehow fell into farming. Now she and her partner run a small farm, make and sell wine, slaughter animals, etc.

Her latest thing is workhorses and driving a team. She has been plowing her fields this year (at least PT with a team). I think it's so cool! Here's a link to her blog with the search term "draft horses" applied:
    Farm Blog: Draft Horses
  8. Katie

I guess I just needed a little whine fest to get busy. I cleared an older bed and got in quite a bit of seed and seedlings today. Feeling better but tired. That little tiller would made faster work for me.

I think I've seen those little twist hand tillers. Can you step on them (like a shovel or fork)if you need to get them started?

Oxen huh? That's actually really neat. I kind of get where he's coming from, but my lean has been draft horses too. Until this summer, I've had zero large animal experience except for a mediocre set of riding lessons. There's just something pure and quiet about using large animals for large work. I can't really articulate it. I still pine for drafts and I really thought the romance would wear off after getting some real exposure...it's just gotten more acute. lol. So don't let him do any test driving unless you're ready.

I must say that I am glad that I learned how to move cattle herds on foot first. Building confidence is pretty significant. Size has little to do with anything unless you're separating a herd sire or dealing with mama's and babes.

Tara, I think I found her through you on FB because I've subscribed for sometime. Very cool blog, very cool gal. :)
  9. hannahsorchard

Yep, I've stepped on mine :) I cleared out a pretty large area the other day with it. I like it better than the push ones with the spikes. The twisting really works great!!! I wet the area to help soften it up a bit.
  10. Katie

thanks, I'll check it out. :)
  11. hannahsorchard

12. harvestgirl

harvestgirl escape to chimp eden!

The least I can do is speak out for those who cann
    i think you need a horse katie ;)
  13. harvestgirl

harvestgirl escape to chimp eden!

The least I can do is speak out for those who cann

does she ship their wine?
  14. tara

tara Amity's Focus Member

She does ship, but can't ship to PA b/c of our silly blue laws. When I checked @ the State Store, they said they would have to special order it (at least a case). I'm thinking I'd pick up a bottle or two the next time I am over the border into DE or NJ - would love to try it.

I really like her chicken and farm paintings, too. She's really talented. I remember being in studio art class with her in high school, so it's cool to see that she is making a living doing what she loves.

Tara
  15. Katie

I think you're right. But I think I "need" a team. A pair. :p
  16. mammakat

mammakat harpy

My garden is underwhelming. I just seeded a bed last weekend. I drive down the road and see all of these plants growing with gusto and mine are still so puny.
  17. Katie

kind of a buzz kill, isn't it? Thank goodness for my blueberry bushes and robust hosta plants or I'd be all sorts of bummed.
  18. MissNairne

MissNairne All new, with added NAK!

We are behind, but the garden is in except for tomatoes. I want to buy some heirloom plants locally, and I just don't seem to get a chance.

We had the machinery breakdown issue last spring. I thought I was going to cry. lol Our garden was terrible, and then the weather made it worse. The only thing that thrived were our onions.
  19. jacNal'smom

jacNal'smom used to be alliesmom

Mine is not all in either. I was going to school full-time until last week. Now, I'm all wrapped up with final exams and such and have little time to get out there. My primary problem is I don't have a built up garden (or tilled up space) and am digging, etc... as I go.

I had grand plans for growing delicata squash that I don't think are going to happen. I never got around to ordering the seeds and there does not seem to be a local source. I guess I'll just grow plain old butternuts.

I've planted corn for my "3 sisters" patch 3 times. I have some kind of bug that cuts it off as soon as it sprouts. I'm thinking that patch is just going to become a "2 sisters" patch and I'll use poles for the beans.

My plants are puny, too. My neighbors garden is planted along the same fenceline as mine and his is all huge and robust. His tomatoes already have little fruits on them. History tells me my plants will be huge soon, but they look so pathetic next to his.
  20. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

I got nothin'. Just a weedy rhubarb bed and a non-weedy strawberry bed, and a very weedy flower bed.