EFT Newsletter: "Personal Peace Procedure"

Discussion in 'EFT, Emotional Freedom Technique' started by Deborah, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Deborah

Deborah New Member

Today’s post is a slightly different flavor. I want to introduce you to Gary Craig’s, the founder of EFT, personal peace procedure. Linda and others have refered to this already here. Gary has a detailed description on his site at Personal Peace Procedure.

I quote his steps below in quotation marks with my comments afterwards.

“1. Make a list of every bothersome specific event you can remember. If you don't find at least 50 you are either going at this half-heartedly or you have been living on some other planet. Many people will find hundreds.”

When making this list, include anything that you remember that you wish hadn’t happened, no matter how small or trivial it may seem. Include events that are negative, even if you don’t have any intensity about it right now. If your remember it, include it.

“2. While making your list you may find that some events don't seem to cause you any current discomfort. That's OK. List them anyway. The mere fact that you remember them suggests a need for resolution.”

Oh, I just said that!

"3. Give each specific event a title....as though it was a mini-movie. Examples: Dad hit me in the kitchen -- I stole Suzie's sandwich -- I almost slipped and fell into the Grand Canyon -- My third grade class ridiculed me when I gave that speech -- Mom locked me in a closet for 2 days -- Mrs. Adams told me I was stupid."

I highly recommend writing this list by hand, not typing it. There is something very powerful about the written word compared to the typed word.

"4. When the list is complete, pick out the biggest redwoods in your negative forest and apply EFT to each of them until you either laugh about it or "can't think about it any more." Be sure to notice any aspects that may come up and consider them separate trees in your negative forest. Apply EFT to them accordingly. Be sure to keep after each event until it is resolved. If you cannot get a 0-10 intensity level on a particular movie then assume you are repressing it and apply 10 full rounds of EFT on it from every angle you can think of. This gives you a high possibility for resolving it. After the big redwoods have been removed, go to the next biggest trees."

Gary uses a forest metaphor for explaining how we have many incidents (trees) that make up our current emotional state (the forest.) He’s just saying to pick the ones that bother you the most.

"5. Do at least one movie (specific event) per day...preferably three...for 3 months. It only takes minutes per day. At this rate you will have resolved 90 to 270 specific events in 3 months. Then notice how your body feels better. Note, too, how your "threshold for getting upset" is much lower. Note how your relationships are better and how many of your therapy type issues just don't seem to be there any more. Revisit some of those specific events and notice how those previously intense incidences have faded into nothingness. Note any improvements in your blood pressure, pulse and breathing ability. I ask you to consciously notice these things because, unless you do, the quality healing you will have undergone will seem so subtle that you may not notice it. You may even dismiss it saying, "Oh well, it was never much of a problem anyway." This happens repeatedly with EFT and thus I bring it to your awareness."

A journal dedicated just to this would be great!

"6. If you are taking medications, you may feel the need to discontinue them. Please do so ONLY under a qualified physicians advice."

Wouldn’t that be great.

I’ve done versions of the personal peace procedure but never this disciplined. I think I was worried it would be too long of a list!:) But now I feel very ready to start mine in a more disciplined manner. Join me!
  2. Kbsmama

Kbsmama Active Member

Working on that list! Now to find the time to tap!
  3. Linda

Linda Amity's Focus Member

Om goodness...I know..the time...
    sheesh.
  4. sitamom

sitamom New Member

I'm going to work on it too!
  5. Linda

how is everyone doing on this? I have been making HUGE strides. I love crossing stuff off the list, it feels so good and I can feel the shifting.

This takes more discipline for me than an exercise program, I have to say, because I really do need quiet. With a busy house(kids!!!) that can be a challenge. I can do it while I am walking and I do..but I really like to be in a quiet house. I am thinking that maybe I should get up early in the morning and walk some days and then tap the other days. In the evening I am often winding down and dh wants my attention.

In any case..I hope you are all doing well:)
  6. lakshmi_mama

lakshmi_mama cleaning house

I somehow missed this post the first time around, but going to start today with this!

The time... so glad I am not the only one who has a hard time with that aspect. It is more that I need to be more disciplined with my free time (aka. get off the darn 'puter!) but it is soooo hard! (hmmm. gee, ya think I should tap on that one? :p )
  7. Linda

I cannot emphasize how important this is.

But yes, tap on the fact that you would rather be doing anythign else, than facing the tapping/facing the stories/facing the emotions.

The most amazing benefit I have realized from this exercise it it breaks down the barriers for my resistance to tap. It is like my subconscious parts realize, "yes, Linda has a tool to deal with the crap we have been carrying for soooo long. Yay!" I also really think my anger issues are much lower this week. And I have only done old issues, clearing them one by one~not necessarily 'related' to anger.

But time..ugh the time...to make myself important and come first! Admittedly I have not tapped today at all, except for continuous tapping here and there.