EFT for quitting Diet Coke

Discussion in 'EFT, Emotional Freedom Technique' started by Scottishthistle, May 13, 2008.

1. Scottishthistle

Scottishthistle can I kick it?

I've started doing this. Should I tap every time I get the craving. How about the withdrawl headaches?
  2. Rhea

Rhea Tickled by the view

:cuc: Go Sara! :cuc:

From my recent experience I say yes to tapping when you get a craving, but also, tap when you don't. I've been tapping most every morning on things important to me, and have been happily surprised with how it has "primed me" for in the moment tapping later in the day. When I tap in the morning I'm much more likely to think of tapping later when I crave a candy bar or whatever.

Some ideas:
    • Tap on it in the morning and before you go to bed.
    • Tie it into things you do often, like tapping on it every time you get in your car, or every time you sit down to breast feed (I have no idea if you are nursing or not,) or every time you prepare food for yourself or your kids...
    • If there are times when you normally would have one, like when the kids are off playing, or at lunch time, etc, you might set your cell phone to remind you tap on it *before* the usual drinking time arrives.

Not that you have to do any of those, just tossing out ideas.

On the headache - I learned this from Linda. Besides tapping on the headache, you might want to ask yourself questions about it and see what comes to you. Like...

Why do I have this headache?
    What is this headache telling me?
    What benefit do I get from this headache?

Your answers may reveal areas you need to clear. Like, I have this headache because I don't take care of myself! Then you'd tap on "Even though I don't take care of myself..." Or, maybe there's a specific event in your past that you didn't even realize was impacting your self esteem and thus influencing you, like a time in high school when your peers made you feel lower than low. I did this exercise recently for breast pain and was surprised at the answers that popped up. I tapped on them and the pain was gone before I'd even finished the list of answers. Definitely there was some connection there.

Some other questions to help clear your energies around the diet coke: (Again, my phrasing may not apply to you, I'm just tossing out ideas.)

Why do I drink diet coke?
    Why do I drink too much diet coke?
    What benefit do I get from drinking diet coke?
    How do I protect myself by drinking diet coke?
    What do I get out of abusing my freedom to choose what I drink?
    What am I avoiding by drinking diet coke?
    What am I afraid might be/happen if I stopped abusing diet coke?

Much love for you : )
    Rhea
  3. Linda

Linda Amity's Focus Member

Rhea! Well done:)
    Sara, good to have you here.
    Here is a thread on this topic that Carey started. Any addictions are about an emotional hole we are trying to fill~tranquilizing/anesthetising feelings. Need substance to numb self.
    http://www.amitymama.com/vb/eft-mama/372104-another-works-me.html

Often issues that come with addictions...(yes even diet coke!)
    deprivation
    shame!(big!)

So, when you tap on the cravings..as the craving gets reduced, then listen and see what comes up.

Here is a set up phrase and choice for you that might help for you to tap on whenever you can...It is important to deal with the fear of giving it up.
    "Even though I am AFRAID to give up the diet coke, because I am afraid of the withdrawl headaches...I deeply and completely accept myself."

Also tap on..."It is going to be so hard to give it up. I have tired before and failed. I am so afraid of the headaches...I have NO willpower" Tap on ANY fears you have in regards to this. You need to address the fears. Also tap on the times you have tried and failed to give it up.

Then, when you get the intensity down on the fear, you can tap on
    "Even though I am afraid to give up the diet coke, I choose to find it fun to drink only water."
    Or...'Choose to surprise myself by only drinking(put in your drinks here)water.'
    I can formulate other options for you if you want.
    "Even though I KNOW I am going to crave diet coke when I give it up..I choose to feel at ease giving up diet coke."

Most importantly use your own words for the negative stuff. Affirmations are great..but as Rehnana says..'if you put frosting on dog sh*t...it is still dog **** underneath. You have to get rid of the sh*t to make the smell go away...:) Then you can make your cake and frost it!'
  4. Rhea

Rhea Tickled by the view

5. Linda

Linda Amity's Focus Member

This is an interesting session from the DVD series.
    This woman smoked cigarettes...She was at Gary Craig's workshop. ON the break she wanted to go out for a cig and her friend(I think) brought her over to Gary. This was their interaction. Just another look at addiction and trauma.
    EFT - Childhood Trauma
  6. Rhea

Rhea Tickled by the view

Hi Sara,

I was thinking of you this morning. How's it going? If you'd like, we could all tap for you. :) We haven't used the tapping circle in awhile and it needs exercising. ;)

Rhea
  7. mdrg2281

mdrg2281 New Member

I'm new to this and am going to start trying to stop drinking dr. pepper. I know i should, it is just so tempting