ebf and losing weight safely.

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by lovesongbird, Apr 8, 2010.

1. lovesongbird

lovesongbird New Member

i'm wanting to lose more than just the baby weight i put on during pregnancy. i've already lost 19 of the 25lbs i gained and would like to lose 30lbs more over time. what's a healthy way to do so without drastically affecting my supply? i'm hoping to reach at least a year with EBF my son and if i totally get my way, we'll make the 2 year mark before even thinking about weaning. so obviously this is important to me.

if you can offer any help at all, it's greatly appreciated.
  2. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

Hi there! :) Have you looked into Weight Watchers? They have a breastfeeding plan that gives you extra points (calories, sort of) each day.

Or just taking any diet plan and adding 300-500 calories? I can't remember exactly how much. :) It's been a while.

The other tips that helped me lose without affecting supply: eat whole, unprocessed foods, drink tons of water, drink Mother's Milk tea daily. Walk for exercise.
  3. Bikil

Bikil Queer Pagan Mama

My daughter was born in Feb 08 and I started working on losing weight in May of 08 so I was still EBF. I am still BF (not E of course), she is over 2 now and I have lost over 57 pounds.

I found that a really important part of having a good supply is eating enough sugars. I tried to do Phase I of South Beach (cut out all carbs and sugars) and lost my supply. When I added a very small amount of whole grain carbs and natural sugars from fruit back in, my supply came back just fine.

The things I would advise: 1. make sure your supply is well-established so that if something goes weird and it starts to dip, you can get it back easily, 2. make sure you eat good whole, unprocessed foods (as Lauren said above) including natural sugars, 3. try and listen to your body, if you are starving constantly, your baby might be in a growth spurt and you need more food, 4. lower your expectations on how fast you can lose. I started out with high expectations because many people seem to be able to lose 2-3 pounds a week. I was losing about a pound a week. Now, I'm only losing about 1/2 a pound a week, but I'm STILL LOSING! I have a long way to go on my journey, but it's going so well and I've done so much.

Please let me know if you want to know more. It IS possible to do it the right way and keep your milk!
  4. lovesongbird

lovesongbird New Member

Thanks ladies! DH and I are doing a lot of running and also the Insanity workout DVDs. I'll start working on diet changes as well. I can't wait to be in the shape I want to be in and still nurturing my babe!!
  5. bradlys

bradlys Guest

Good diet is key and regular exercise. You should consider going to your dietitian and consult for professional help. You should accompany your diet with a regular workout that works for you and your schedules.