Early learning recommendations...

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by lovingit, Sep 14, 2005.

1. lovingit

lovingit ...NAK'ing at dawn...

Cooper just turned 3...and is wanting to learn learn learn! I don't do anything formal with him, we just do as we go.

I'd love to have some kind of a resource book, yknow? Of truly age appropriate activities, lots of "doing", manipulatives etc etc. I'm running out of activities fast! (and not to mention I have been mega-tired these days adjusting to having this new babe).

I looked in the rainbow resource catty today, but I don't recognize any of the names etc...

TIA!
  2. Natalia

Natalia New Member

I bought a few books from Oak Meadow and used them in the summer with my children. They loved it. Having a morning circle, some crafts, songs, etc.

Or are you looking for more academic stuff? I used a book called Slow and Steady Get Me Ready which has an activity a week from birth to age 5.

Natalia
  3. sweetpeasma

sweetpeasma New Member

I know what you mean. Mine isn't even 3 yet and she is just so eager. I've been kinda just going with the flow right now. I got a whole different books from here and there and just starting to sort through them, seeing what works for us. I actually got a workbook for K-1 and she actually sat down with it and read her first sentance!! I was shocked and now she's wanting to write, although i know that will take time. She tries to trace the letters that I write.

I also try to do lots of fun stuff with her and it just incorperates learning right along side with it. We do a lot with our felt boards, she loves building with her alphabet blocks and has to have them build in correct alpahbet order, lol.
  4. sagira

sagira New Member

I don't have any experience with it, but I hear nice reviews of Letter of the Week (www.letteroftheweek.com), a free curriculum for preschoolers online. It can help you be low-key but still meeting your child's needs.

Another tip is to take your child out in nature and provide a nature journal where he can sketch what he sees and maybe research with you at the library.

Obviously, reading many books together and discussing them is essential :)

Good luck,

Sagira
  5. amamasluv

amamasluv New Member

Here's what I'm considering:

Handwriting Without Tears Pre-K(Get Set For School, the sing-along CD, Roll-A Dough Letters, and Stamp and See letters)

Visual Perceptual Skills Building

Building Thinking Skills Hands-On Primary

First Steps to Building Thinking Skills

Mighty Mind Game

I'm also considering the Abeka Nursery School products for teaching letters .

What would you chose from these? Any better suggestions? We already have tons of read-alouds and an abundance of arts and crafts supplies.
  6. lovingit

lovingit ...NAK'ing at dawn...

I just read through letter of the week and I think this will be a great thing to start! I think Cooper will love it!