Does anyone use Alpha Omega Lifepacs?

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by gretchen, Mar 3, 2010.

1. gretchen

gretchen New Member

I'm considering this system for next year and was wondering if anyone had any first-hand knowledge of them!
    Thanks,
    Gretchen
  2. brayg

brayg Evil Genius

We do. What would you like to know?
  3. 3boysnagrl

3boysnagrl Amity's Focus Member

I have a question...

are they able to be used mainly by the student without constant direct involvement of the parent?

I love Tapestry of Grace, but this coming year I am afraid of what life is going to be like with 4 kids homeschooling and a toddler who is adjusting to life in the US. Wondering if I need a different approach... or if it would not really make things easier.
  4. justthemama

justthemama Amity's Focus Member

We've used them....a little dry but not bad. I'm considering going back to them for 1 kid.
  5. sweet~potato

sweet~potato Active Member

I got some for ds after my ds2 was born. We are normally interest-led learners but I just couldn't keep up with going to the library, helping him do internet searches, etc without feeling very overwhelmed. I wanted something easy that he could do on his own, without much help from me for a while, and they were great for that purpose. My ds did surprisingly well with them,but by the time he was done with them, he'd had enough.

The downfalls I could see were that they weren't very exciting, gave a very brief overview of the topic, and a lot of things, especially in the science section weren't explained very well. My ds would ask me what something meant and I couldn't tell him even after reading the section in the lifepac.

So, for short term, they were very helpful, but personally we were happy to get back to our usual way of hs'ing.
  6. gretchen

gretchen New Member

Well, actually, some of the same things that Heather asked; are they pretty student-directed? Do you feel like they give all (or most of all) you need or are you doing a lot of other stuff besides? We've been doing My Father's World, and while I LOVE LOVE it for K and 1, I've found it's just too...scattered, I guess, with the older grades.
    Do you do the Lifepacs Bible or just the other subjects? Do your kiddos enjoy them? My kids are way into "workbooks" for some reason and this seemed like a good fit. :)
    Hmmm..that's all I can think of for now.
  7. brayg

brayg Evil Genius

Yes, they are great for independent learning (for a child that is ok with that sort of thing).

I liked them for Language Arts because I felt they touched on everything (but as Karen said, more of a brief overview...not overly indepth, but I'm ok with that). I also liked them for History/Geography. They took a lot of pressure off of me.

I bought Science a couple of years ago and then never used them because the items they use for experiments were pretty obscure. There is a place online that sells packs of items specifically for lifepac science, but that adds quite a bit to the cost. I found Apologia science to be so much nicer in that respect because it uses mainly everyday type of items for experiments.

We've never used Lifepac math because we are MUS users.

So, I guess from my personal experience, I would recommend them for LA (with maybe something additional for any LA subject your child might be struggling with, such as spelling or writing...we used Writing Strands in addition to the Lifepac) and History/Geography.

We aren't currently using any Lifepacs, but Jacob uses SOS for LA and History/Geography (which I believe is the same content as Lifepacs, just in computer form). I would definitely use Lifepacs again, though.