Does anyone have problems w/ their diapers wearing out?

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by Mysticmama, May 21, 2004.

1. Mysticmama

Mysticmama New Member

I have a lot of diapers that have basically fallen apart. I really don't know why this happens. I feel like I have a lot of diapers in my rotation. I haven't had the problem w/ fuzzibunz, motherease, or kissaluvs, but most of the others eventually start getting holes. It just continues until the soaker is hanging out and the elastic is exposed. My grandma sews for me so I gave them to her to repair. Most of them she said are beyond repair. She did fix some but then only a short time later they started getting more holes. I don't bleach my diapers and I usually use natural detergent. Does anyone have any ideas why this would happen? Can they be repaired or recycled? They get washed 1-2x a week. Some diapers last a few months, some last a few years. How long should a diaper last? Also, I do dry them in the dryer every time.
  2. SweetnSour

SweetnSour Bringing Happy back :D

Do you have a front or top loading washer?
    I know that top loading have a tendency to reduce life of diapers (and clothes and everything really), they are way too rough with stuff.

I only get holes after a while in diapers that have a wooven outter, doesn't seem to last very long and whistand hot washes.

I also wash and dry in dryer, but all my diapers are nice looking, even after months. I do hang my covers to dry, because they definitely last a lot longer like that.
  3. rwikene

rwikene keeping it simple

I have diapers that are now getting holes (some in the inside and some on the outside) they've been in rotation for about a year now.

If you think about it though, its not bad. Lets assume my diapers have been used for just one year, washed twice a week on hot twice (I do a second rinse in hot) and then dryed on hot every time.

so, that's roughly 208 times washed in hot water, then 104 times in a hot dryer. Really that's not bad, especially considering that diapers are used hard. Rubbing on the thighs, constant stretching, the high aggitation of a washing machine, the high temps from a dryer.....etc.

Not sure about the diapers that are only lasting a month though, or why yours are in total shreds (mine are *just* getting holes in them now....my outers are PRR, I've heard they get holes faster) I keep having to tell myself "diapers are biodegradeable, that's why you bought them, what do you expect?" and it helps me put things into perspective.
  4. Cary

Cary New Member

Definitely happens here

For me, diapers (especially fitted) that are made out of interlock or flannel get holes the quickest. Of course, even my chinese prefolds shredded by the time my 3 year old was out of dipes. I don't understand how some people claim that one set of diapers lasts for more than one child. Covers perhaps, but not my dipes. All of my diapers left over from my first son are getting holey for my 9 month old. I use them a lot and wash them 2 or 3 times a week for years, so I expect them to wear out after awhile, ya know?

One of my pet peeves is the claim that hemp diapers last so much longer. Well, perhaps the fabric lasts a long time, but my experience has been that the sewing of the hemp diapers doesn't last nearly as long as my chinese prefolds! Not to mention, that wonderful hemp fleece doesn't stay soft for long. A lot of places say that hemp "wears in" and gets softer with wash. That might be true for somebody, but it definitely isn't my experience.

Cary
  5. MotherMoon

MotherMoon Super Crunch in AL

somewhere between complete exhaustion and utter eu
    Ok, now I am really loving the diapers I used. I used them through two children and one or two have holes. Most of them look used but not worn. My blue ones are even still blue. They were washed for one child in a top loader and one in a front loader. On hot with Dr. Bronner's and vinegar.
  6. Mysticmama

Mysticmama New Member

I do have a top loading machine. I don't know, if it's normal for diapers to get holes after washing twice a week for two years, then that's fine. It's just seems like so many people use diapers through 3 kids and can still resell them. A couple people gave me an older diaper here and there that did not have holes but I washed them 1-3x and then they had holes in them. Does that seem odd? What is PRR? Maybe I'll just buy fuzzibunz for now on, because they have shown no wear. Another thing my boys were in diapers full time until 3- 3 1/2. Maybe that's longer than most kids. They also both wear diapers at night. Plus my baby is wearing diapers. They can fit into large diapers from about 1 year to 4 1/2 years. That does sound like I use them a lot but I bet I have 50 diapers that they can no longer wear and I have replaced all of them. I should try and count how many diapers I have. I do use some more than others, but they all get used.
  7. BonaDea

BonaDea stopped by to fix a link

Here's what I've gleemed from the sewing board and diaper question.

Diapers that are 100% cotton (hemp may fall in this catagorie also but I don't have any knowledge of that) wear faster than those with some poly in them.

Diaper that are turned and top stiched will wear faster than those with foe/binding or serged.

In some cases the type of water you have can influence the amount of wear your diapers get.

I'd also be willing to guess that the thicker fabrics (sherpa, terry, fleece) will wear longer than thinner ones (flannel, knits, wovens).

Hopefully, that will provide some insight to what is going on for you.
  8. punkin

punkin Amity's Focus Member

I was just thinking that maybe it has something to do with your water.

I have been using premium prefolds for about 1 yr on my 2nd dd, and so far about 7-8 mos. on my 3rd dd. they are showing some wear, but not badly. I dont think I have any fitted or aio's that were my 2nd dd, i sold them to buy infant stuff when i had #3. so most of my fitteds or aio's that i have for #3 are new or at least new to me, and have been being used for about 4 mos. or so, but i mostly use the cpf's around the house.
  9. ReeseMomma

ReeseMomma Bah-Humbug!

I have this problem too. Only w/ a few of my diapers so far. And they were both purchased used. But..I was told that if the holes begin around the stitching, it could be that the person who sewed them didn't use a ballpoint needle. The 'regular' sharp needles damage the threads during the sewing process, so ballpoint needles are recomened. I don't know how accurate that is, but makes sense to me.
  10. griffin

griffin New Member

my diapers were used for one child, then after 6 months with the next child, they started to shred. i am pretty convinced its his urine... too acidic or something.