Do you spin? If so . .

Discussion in 'Sewing & Craft' started by ElDucko, May 23, 2010.

1. ElDucko

ElDucko Amity's Focus Member

should my learning curve from bottom whorl to top whorl be the same as learning to spin, or nearly so?

I'm wondering how much of it is my bad hand, and how much of it will be that I just can't use a top whorl for whatever reason.

Any clue?

tia!
  2. hastings

hastings Amity's Focus Member

I don't remember it being that difficult to learn. My biggest issue was drafting in general and then that skill has made top, bottom and wheel all blur together. Maybe its the change of fiber? Drafting one handed? I have a harder time with the top whorl because the types of fiber I try to use for the higher speed, not because of the spindle itself. But I am only a novice spinner
  3. Nibsie

Nibsie Active Member

I always thought that a top whorl was easier, for me anyway. I didn't spindle spin but for about 6 months before I got my wheel, though. Pre-drafting is a huge help to some people. it's fun to do, too. I like to take out my roving while watching TV and pre-draft a bunch so that when I do have time (HA!) to sit and spin, the hard part's already done.
  4. benNpeanutsmom

benNpeanutsmom Amity's Focus Member

5. ElDucko

ElDucko Amity's Focus Member

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out when my head doesn't hurt so much. :heart:

The fibers I'm using for both are the same, already drafted, etc. I just can't seem to get the hang of the top whorl and was wondering if it was my hand, or the difference, or what.

I don't have a wheel and can't see being able to afford one for many many years unless I were gifted one or found one for super cheap somewhere.

I suspect it's the spindle because I was able to spin just fine with a turkish spindle dh made for me. Either that or you really need two hands to learn a new thing and the turkish spindle being bottom whorl was close enough to my bottom whorl that my hand knew what to do??

I'm making myself crazy so I don't worry about other things, kwim?
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2010