Do you know anything about Alpha Omega Publications new on-line curriculum, Monarch?

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by TulaneMama, Jan 5, 2011.

1. TulaneMama

TulaneMama countdown mode

please enlighten me:)
  2. Dannielle

Dannielle Princess Nimble-Thimble

Not really.. Nothing beyond their website. But I think we are going to use it for this next year (been using SOS). Except we will be using TeachingTextbooks for math.
  3. TulaneMama

i went ahead and purchased the science level 6. seems pretty straightforward and easy to use. I didn't htink SOS worked with Mac so I opted for Monarch and I might add history and language arts. we will continue with ALEKS for math and DS will also stick with Wordly wise and daily grams every day.

D, why are you thinking of switching?
  4. Dannielle

SOS works well for us, logistically, but it could be more interesting, for sure. I'm hoping Monarch is more engaging, fun, and interesting.

The attitude around here with SOS tends to be "get your 4 lessons done so you can do whatever you want with the rest of your day". On the one hand that works since they can just do the required stuff (which doesn't take all that long) and then go explore their interests. They don't dislike it. But it could be more interesting.
  5. TulaneMama

I am hoping that DS has the same attitude as motivation is an issue here. I have told him 100 times that if he gets his work done the day is his! THere is a coupon, SAVEBIG that works on the site.
  6. 3boysnagrl

3boysnagrl Amity's Focus Member

thanks for the link! I'm on the lookout for something different for Austin for next school year.
  7. 3boysnagrl

OK, after looking more... I think I may end up utilizing a couple of the programs for Austin for next school year. The other 3 kids really enjoy working together, but he would work better on his own, with a list of things to just click off. He's doing Algebra I through ALEKS right now, but really wants more involved instruction - reading part, but also interactive things. So, I am really wondering if he would enjoy the Geometry better through Monarch. I'm thinking this type of schooling option might work better for him, especially for his high school years. The 9th grade History is a geography course, so he could still do history with the rest of us, in addition to doing the geography.
  8. beautifulfreak

beautifulfreak Sr. Entropy Control Spec.

eves dropping in here since I am always all over the map and at a loss with myself
  9. Dannielle

we're starting our new school year soon ( basically as soon as I have funds for it lol) so I should have a review before long.
  10. beautifulfreak

beautifulfreak Sr. Entropy Control Spec.

Dannielle I always think man if I could just be a fly on the wall at your house for a week. You always seen to take hs with such ease. It seems like you never let it stress you or get you down. That you always just roll with it. You always have a plan and you just stick to it.

I always am thinking I am damaging my kids, am I doing enough, its always so stressful to me even several years later. I don't know why I always get myself so worked up over it. Maybe it is because my kids drive me nuts and I feel like they hate it and hate me being there teacher.

Just a side rant. Sorry
  11. nanci

nanci jelly belly

Have you looked at Oak Meadow? Izzi is LOVING it!
  12. TulaneMama

we are doing great with MOnarch, only 3 days, and the cusptomer support has been phenomenal!!! I am very pleased so far.

Nanci...i have not tried oak meadow.
  13. ~Jenn~

~Jenn~ Guest

I'm going to have to try this for some of my kids. They've finished up most of what we had planned for this year and with a new baby this is right up my alley!

I'd love it if those of you who end up using it would post a review. I really on you guys quite a bit for that! :D
  14. 3boysnagrl

Jenn, it might be a really good option for when you (eventually) get your other new kids... possibly next school year? I wish I had found something a little less me involved for this year because of adding the toddler to the mix. I am struggling with feeling like I am ALWAYS 'on' and never have any 'off' time... and Chally really needs more one on one from me - but I find myself passing her from older kid to older kid (not that she minds at all, she loves playing with them) so that I can work with another older kid. I just wonder if something like this might be a good fit even for a year or two. But then I also wonder if it would be more work keeping track of 4 kids' progress in 5 different subjects on all different levels. I am seriously thinking about doing this next year for everyone - and then planning on doing some cool stuff together just because.
  15. TulaneMama

i get messages under my login of tasks i need to grade...it guides me on how to score his assignments, and i can print them out for a record to show our reviewer as well. I also like that I can add other events to the calendar, add special projects and so forth and it keeps the grades for me and I can print out report cards as needed or block DS from moving forward if I think he needs more review. I also like that he can watch an experiment being performed vs having to make sure that I have the supplies on hand. Some experiemnts we have done in the past, so it is nice the the video is a review for him. THere are other experiments that we will do. AND you can look at the entire year and see what they will be doing and if you want them done by a certain date, then it plans everything out for you. No time spent at the computer planning - which I LOVE!

We are going to stay with ALEKS because now that we are fully utilizing it, the drills, daily worksheets and such we are in a nice routine and it is working well. I will also stay with wordly wise, daily grams and rod and staff spelling.
  16. ~Jenn~

~Jenn~ Guest

I agree, Heather. I also like to think that if I have something like this for more of the basics then it will free up more time for me to do fun stuff with them.

I think right now I'm going to sign my 5th grader up for the science (she needs something new right now) to try it out.
  17. TulaneMama

Jenn let me know if you feel any differnlty than what I have posted. Our days are so so much easier now. And we are approaching 1 week!

I have also decided to stop our spelling owrk and just use our vocabulary words as our spelling words. Ds is also liking playing at www.wordlywise3000.com