Do you have good experiences with Joann.com? Update - Won't order from them again!

Discussion in 'Sewing & Craft' started by Redterra, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Redterra

Redterra Just me, doing my best

I haven't and was wondering if this was normal. I shopped their Black Friday sale and as I was adding items to my cart, prices were going up each time the screen changed! I double checked to see if there were any time limitations on the items I was interested in and could find nothing stated. I placed an order that day for flannel and exceeded their minimum for free shipping, but I didn't get the flannel until the Monday before Christmas. Good thing I decided to buy an extra set of flannel sheets to use for holiday pj's instead - I had them made before the flannel arrived.

I chalked those up to crazy busy-ness and holiday season shopping, but yesterday I was discouraged again - I happened to find that some fabric I'd been drooling over was on sale from 9.99 to 6.99 and on the item listing of each print in the series, it read "In Stock." When I put it my cart it said "Out of Stock" and I signed up to find out when it would be replenished. The sale went off yesterday. First thing this morning I get an email that it's back in stock at 9.99. Hmmmmm.... ARGH.

I'm not posting this just to complain but wondering what others' experience is. We have the self-declared smallest Joann store in the country where I live (there are others that are the same size, but none smaller) and I was hoping to remedy my angst by shopping online :(
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  2. dalaimama

dalaimama mama lama

I haven't shopped at joann.com because of all the negative reviews that i've read. I stick mostly to fabric.com, occasionally fabricdepot.com or sewzanne's. HTH! :)
  3. justthemama

justthemama Amity's Focus Member

I just placed an order, so I'll let you know. What fabric is it? I've been stocking up on things, so maybe I've seen it somewhere? :D
  4. Redterra

5. Redterra

I tired to place my order yesterday, but the site was too jammed up. Then I saw on the home page "sale extended through Jan 30!" So I relaxed and went to place the order today. Instead of 6.99/yd it was 7.49/yd - argh! Eh - I said, just 50 cents/yard and I really want the fabric. Checkout was painful - part of my info disappeared and when I clicked to go to the next screen there were errors and so I had to go back and fix that and then after fixing that it automatically changed my state from Georgia to Missouri and I got another error, and then had to re-do more of my information - ARGH! FINALLY I got checked out. I hope I get the fabric in good time and that I love it. I'm going to do my best to never order from Joann.com again. The only reason why I placed this order was b/c I googled to find bird fabric and this was my favorite and only Joann carries it and it had good reviews.

At the conclusion of my order there was an option to click to take survey - you bet I did! But the link didn't work! So I clicked to use an email form to inform them of my dissatisfaction and that didn't work either!
  6. Tremor Christ

Tremor Christ Amity's Focus Member

If you have the SKU for the fabric I wonder if your store could have ordered it and you picked it up there. Probably would have had to buy a whole bolt though maybe.

I don't order much from them, but so far I haven't had the ordeal you did!
  7. Redterra

Yesterday I received the shipping confirmation email for my order - I was so excited!
    This morning I received an email explaining that the items I ordered were not in stock and that my order had been canceled.

WHAT?!?!

I will be calling them later today and letting them no that I will not be placing any more orders from them. This is CRAZY!
  8. hastings

hastings Amity's Focus Member

Joann's is my local "I guess I'll buy from there if I have to" store. I'll also go browse the red ticketed clearance when they are an additional 50% off. I never thought I'd be in a position to say this about fabric, but I'd so much rather pay twice the price for good customer service. Not that I usually have to. Just about anyone has better service and possibly better deals. I shop fabric.com sometimes, but mostly I've become a fabric snob; buying organics for regular sewing and specialty stuff like linens, wools, and silks for reenactment sewing which has sort of become my usual sewing. I go into a sweet little quilt shop locally for the occasional piece of quilting fabric, but its rare these days. Maybe I'll get back to it in a few years.

They're putting a Hobby Lobby in less than 3 miles from my house and I'm really looking forward to never shopping at Joann's again.
  9. erika

erika New Member

That's a good thing to know. I thought about ordering but after hearing the bad service, I won't.
  10. Redterra

Well - yesterday I got a package in the mail from Joann.com. HUH?! I thought! Now I understand why they sent a shipping notification and then canceled the order but still - sorry, sorry service. I had ordered 5 different fabrics from them, 2 yards each of every print in a particular line. They were made to coordinate for quilting, etc. and a quilt is what I had in mind. Apparently only 4/5 of my order was canceled as they happened to have ONE of the fabrics in stock and so they sent that one to me. WITHOUT NOTIFYING ME the others were not in stock!!! So - they offer 5 different prints intended to go together in a quilt (and this is a Joann fabric line), I purchase all 5 intending to make a quilt, and they only send one of them to me. What good is one of them?!

I have made it out to my local Joann's, and what'd'ya know - they have now started carrying all 5 prints in this line. I told them the shortest version of the story I could come up with, and out of curiosity the associate checked the stock in the warehouse - she said there were hundreds of bolts of the fabric available and could in no way imagine why the online store would be out of stock - though she conceded that the stores and the online version work from completely different warehouses. The fabric is on sale in the store through Saturday and I have a coupon for an additional 20% off, so I'm going to go buy the other 4 prints tomorrow. At least I'm getting what I want!
  11. justthemama

justthemama Amity's Focus Member

I'm glad you're getting what you want! That bird print is gorgeous!!!!

My order was a disaster and I'll never try again from them online.

I had changed my cart quantities before checking out, but what I got was the original quantities. So I ended up with 1y cuts of two things I needed 2y of and a 1y cut of something I'd ditched. And the quality of the greige they're printed on is the worst I've seen. The TC must be 40. Awful. Nowhere near the quality in-store, which ime is lower than quilt store quality. Never again. :/ Of course I can't return in-store and I don't want to pay return shipping (shipping to me was $11.50 for 3y of woven...would have fit in a flat-rate mailer for $4.50!) so I'll figure out something to do with these. I might go to the store and see if I can get another yard of each of the ones I need....my store sells out of seasonal fabrics two weeks ahead usually so I won't hold my breath (one's for Valentine's Day).