do you ever take a cloth diaper break?

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by OnTheBrink, Jan 9, 2006.

1. dudster74

dudster74 busy

yep! I do take breaks.. I am on a "break" right now:cuc: I can't keep up with the wash with 2 in didees:p
  2. norasmama

norasmama Nigel's mama too!

Yep, we took a break when we got ready to sell our house and move as well. And now we've been in this house for 2 months -- still in disposables. I tried going back last month, but Nigel is unbelievably resistant to diaper changes. It's like nothing I've ever seen. So having to deal with a diaper and cover is 2x worse than dealing with a sposie. If I had money for AIOs it might be different, but we don't.

I hate using disposables, but Nigel really has very sensitive skin, and he doesn't get rashes in 'sposies either. Nora was the opposite -- her butt hated sposies.

Anyway, I am in the same boat -- I am dreading switching back, almost as much as I dread having to go buy a box of diapers.
  3. mom4love

mom4love New Member

I took a break after about 8mths of having two in cloth who both had chronic diahrea about 5-6times a day. Just couldn't keep up on laundry and I was suffering from depression although I didn't know it.
    We ended up moving a few months later and I never did use them again.
    I think it is hard to stop and then get back into them.
    I loved cloth and would use them again.
  4. Cortney

Cortney blissed out on blessings

We've never taken a break- BUT if you do decide to sell all your diapers I'm ISO large fuzzi bunz. :) (or any X-Smalls you may have!)
  5. LisaC

LisaC Bird Nerd

Meeshi, I am the same way about disposables and I am not as crunchy as 90% of those here LOL. I just get the heebie-jeebies over disposables. I've used them in a pinch but I just hate the sound (I am sound sensitive) the smell, I can smell a disposable a mile away!! I definitely have issues!!LOL
  6. Mamax4

Mamax4 Amity's Focus Member

Coming in late--but I never have. With my last, I even brought cloth on vacation. With my 16 yr old, I remember taking 7th Generation on vacation. But none of my children have worn regular-type plastic.

Please understand, it wasn't a judgement, it was just a chemical/plastic issue that was important to me. It wasn't hard for me to find alternatives to Huggies etc. I live in MA--where Seventh Generation etc was available (Bread & Circus, now Whole Foods. Which also used to sell cloth daipers-- Bumkins, for one. Kushies, for another. The oldest also had terry cloth nappies from the UK, and diapers & wool covers from Biobottoms). I can't say what i would hav done if that had not been avail.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2006
  7. OnTheBrink

OnTheBrink Amity's Focus Member

And thanks be to the internet - it's available to all of us!

Now, we've been using store brand disposables for a bit. Yesterday Rob brought home Pampers. Eew! Those thinks stink! The store brand ones are too cheap to have fragrance, and that is a good thing!
  8. homebirthin'mam

homebirthin'mam Homebirth is for babies

Having cloth diapered 3 children in four years, I have taken a break from time to time. Usually I will buy a pack when we go down to my mothers and then they last for a month if we use them and cloth as well. Mallaigh (only one left in diapers) is 17 months now and potty training, so most of the time she has a bare bum or undies on.

I save those sposies' for rare and special occasions...like when a child has been sick for going on 19 days now...
  9. OnTheBrink

OnTheBrink Amity's Focus Member

So I think I realized yesterday what my hang up is lately. We moved from a one story house to a 2 story house. I have all his cloth diapers and the diaper pail upstairs in the laundry room. Of course, we spend most of our day downstairs. I don't want to haul him upstairs just for a change. We keep disposables upstairs and downstairs and it's super easy. So - for those doing cloth in a 2 story house: Do you have 2 separate "stashes" and pails and all?