do you ever take a cloth diaper break?

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by OnTheBrink, Jan 9, 2006.

1. OnTheBrink

OnTheBrink Amity's Focus Member

We switched John to disposables in October when we were selling our house. Then, we kept him in disposables while we moved, did major work here, got the laundry room set up... yada yada. But now, I just don't feel like going back to cloth. First of all, his poops are frequent and nasty. Secondly, I've honestly enjoyed disposables. I've enjoyed having less laundry. I've enjoyed being able to stick a diaper and a few wipes in my regular purse and be set when we go out.

But - I feel guilty about it!

Did you ever take a break? If so, did you go back?

Shoudl I just sell my dipes now and get some money and space? Anyone want lots of fuzzibunz? :)
  2. Trishas Tribe

Trishas Tribe Found

happened here too...never went back;peek:
  3. harvestgirl

harvestgirl escape to chimp eden!

The least I can do is speak out for those who cann
    we took a break , he wears a sposie to bed but we are back & i am glad :)
  4. JodiM

JodiM 35yo Catholic Mama to 5

I did, after I had Lucas.

We had just moved (2 days after he was born!), we were trying to get our old house ready and then put it up for sale, and I had horrible post partum depression.

It was just too much, dh and I decided where I could cut my chores, etc down and diapers was an extra chore for me.

We *just* ordered everything back because I feel really bad about using disposables.

Technically you're supposed to flush the poop anyway, which is basically as much of a pitb as the cloth diapers.
    That said, I never did that *bag head*

I thought about getting a MiniShower, but dh said he would wash off poopy diapers (YES!)
  5. ~Meeshi~

~Meeshi~ Also Known As Michelle

Nope, I never did take a break with Kaya, and don't plan on it with this babe either. Disposable diapers give me the heebie jeebies for some reason. I just can't get over it, the feel, the smell, the sound of them.... :eek:
  6. aceboo

aceboo New Member

i took a break when i had all the "gifted dipes" from the shower and welcoming that would have gone t owaste otherwise..about 2 weeks! I have gone back to cloth and love it even more!!!
  7. bluehalo

bluehalo making messes

When Ethan was in diapers, he wore 'sposies on very, very rare occasions. Maybe a dozen total in his life. Well, that's not true ... at the very end of his potty learning phase, he would ask for a diaper to poop in, and after a while I went to using a 'sposie for that.

Noah didn't have a disposable on his bottom until just a few weeks ago when we took a trip and knew we wouldn't have access to a washing machine or time to take them to the laundry-mat. I even tried to get a local diaper service to help out but they wouldn't take on a "contract" shorter than one month. We finally decided to go with the unbleached disposables. I was very happy to get back home to our FuzziBunz! *But* ... we now use a sposie for night time. I've tried *everything* to keep this baby and our bed dry at night, and nothing has worked. I was spending so much time and money obsessing about night-time diapers and systems, I finally gave up and accepted that I the two of us would wake up wet each morning (we have a fleece liner keeping the rest of the bed from getting yucky). Well, that week in disposables was heaven, not getting peed on every night! Even though I have some guilt, it's not bad enough to stick to cloth at night when it so clearly wasn't working for us.
  8. thrillhouse

thrillhouse Active Member

I took a break while we moved this summer, and our new home has an old washer and dryer that I wasn't used to so dipes weren't getting clean, we had odor problems, I had morning sickness, ds had nasty toddler peanut butter consistency poops about 5 times a day and I took a break for about 2 months. I ditched my old system, at least the parts I didn't like and bought a dozen new dipes to replace some of the old stuff and I am loving that he is back in cloth. I think part of the problem was that I had too many kinds of diapers and it was not very streamlined kwim? plus some of the older stuff was really trashed, all of my fuzzibunz had elastic that was totally shot. So now I have only 1 type of of diaper and 1 type of cover, everything is the same. I made all new wipes too so everything is fresh. I've also made friends with this older washing machine adn have discovered the joys of wet pailing IN the machine. i have no stains and everything gets very very clean with no odor at all. it also forces me to keep on top of the household laundry by doing a load every morning before my washer becomes the wet pail for the rest of the day. I wash the dipes every other evening and spin out the water on the non washing days so i can replace it with fresh soak water.
  9. Maura

Maura Gene Genie

I took a break for a couple of months when we moved back to the mainland from overseas. But I missed the cloth and am back until Steph is finished with wearing diapers. I really like the cloth because I feel more interested in doing the laundry and using more natural things. I feel more excited about finding a good laundry detergent or diaper creme that is natural. I'm only speaking for myself; I know many moms are very natural but prefer the disposables for their own reasons.
  10. MommytoTommy

MommytoTommy Active Member

I think that most people who use cloth feel this way at one time or another. I had terrible ppd with my second and he spent his fair share of time in sposies. Seriously though I never liked the sposie thing they kind of grossed me out. He is now almost 10 and every sposie I ever used on him is still nicely preserved somewhere with whatever contents were in it when it hit the trash can.
  11. Alkenny

Alkenny New Member

I did over Christmas break...but when the $15 mega-bag was gone in a week and I added up that was $60 a month...or $720 a year!!!!! I went back to the cloth as intended.:drop:
  12. treecitydiapers

treecitydiapers New Member

I'm beginning to feel like sort of a freak...

This conversation is coming up in several places that I frequent and honestly we have never even thought about taking a break. Like Meeshi, sposies erk me out. Doesn't mean I think badly about others who use them but it just isn't right for us.

I think a lot of it for me has to do with the fact that I have a VERY helpful husband. He does the diaper laundry as much if not more then I do. I have to stuff all the fuzzi bunz but he does a lot of the washing.
  13. annsni

annsni Amity's Focus Member

It looks like I'll do what you did. We're probably going to put our house on the market and I honestly think I'd rather just ditch all of my diapers at this point. Joanna is 3 so it's not too much longer until we're out of diapers anyway. I'd like to declutter her room which would mean getting rid of the dipes and stuff that goes with it and then getting rid of the changing table. Be on the lookout for cheap AIOs, fitteds, covers (a bunch of wool) and such soon!

Ann
  14. Soledad

Soledad Back to little sleep

We are currently using disposables for Jake. I'm looking to purchase some Prorap covers for him if I can ever get someone to answer the phone. :rainbow:
  15. ~Meeshi~

Just to make sure I haven't offended anyone (which I have been prone to doing lately) I just want to say that my own aversion to disposables isn't a judgement on anyone who uses them. It just happenes to be one of those things that gives me a creepy feeling inside, something about the feel, smell and sound of them.
  16. harvestgirl

maybe you dealt w/ a haunted pack? :p

mine don't smell, make noise or feel strange ~ lol.

:smooch:
  17. ~Meeshi~

Oh, you know, the crinkly noise, the papery feel... :shudder:
  18. harvestgirl

hmmm... maybe they have improved a bit since you used them last?

the ones we use (cheapo from walmart) are rather soft , have velcro & aren't too papery at all.
  19. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

I never considered it with Katie...to the point of dragging them to the laundromat, not prewashed (no running water, no plumbing), in 40-below-zero weather in Fairbanks to wash them - that whole stint of cloth diapering included using flats for easier washing.

We did end up having to use them for a month while living with my aunt, who couldn't deal with the thought of cloth in her house :rolleyes: and I hated every second of it.

Fast forward to Jake...cloth diapered him through pure oil coming out of his butt 14 times a day...diapers got ruined from the grease he was pooping out due to undiagnosed cystic fibrosis. We had continual severe poop issues through most of his second year of life, so I finally relented and would use sposies when out (pull ups, which aren't as crinkly and don't smell IMO). Jake started potty training at this point so our compromise was to go nakey or loose cloth prefold pinned in the house, and use Pullups at night and when out. That's what we've continued; he still wears Pullups at night. We've tried every kind of cloth setup for nighttime, many of my own design!, but eventually he outpeed them all, LOL.

I used to be so idealistic when I was the mother of one child...boy, having another, with major special needs to boot, sure put me in check. Although I'm feeling my previous energy return of late ;) - but I guess my point is, I've done plenty of things I swore I'd never do. Including use disposables.
  20. ~Meeshi~

I think I am just highly sensitive to things like that. I could never use pads or anything like that either. It was really hard for me to even use Lansinoh breast pads, but fabric ones I tried were so huge they showed through my shirts.

Yup, I think I just have issues. ;)