Do I dare? Okay, let's see. . . . Does it ultimately matter for the history reported

Discussion in 'Spiritual Discussions' started by Sunflower_Momma, Apr 23, 2010.

1. tikva18

tikva18 busy building blocks

Which part?
  2. hana

hana Active Member

Cats have opinions about everything. I had tried to channel some deep UU meaning from what they posted, but came up sadly lacking.

Ann, don't you take meaning from things that are literally true? If the weather is 20 degrees and snowing, the literal truth of the cold and snow is one thing when it's outside my window. Its meaning is something different when I must go somewhere in that weather.
  3. annsni

annsni Amity's Focus Member

Oh absolutely - but I don't understand how taking a literal view of Scripture takes away meaning.
  4. OnTheBrink

OnTheBrink Amity's Focus Member

I don't think it necessarily does. I do think, however, that focusing on the literal can get in the way of the depth of the message.
  5. khlinville

khlinville Amity's Focus Member

Can I jump in?

Is it totally stooopid to say that I think that most of it is true on some level, but I really just don't know? Some of it may be figurative, but I do believe in the immaculate conception, most surely the ressurection, and beyond that...it's just an evolving process between God and me. I'm not going to put God in a box that says He only thinks like me so His 6 days is my 6 days. Maybe it is. Not sure. In the end, it doesn't affect my relationship with Jesus. Not at all. I am comfortable with that....my ignorance.
  6. sveasmommy

sveasmommy Rory and Tait too!

I'm with you.:heart smirk:
  7. Sunflower_Momma

Sunflower_Momma "Christian"

The part of the increased richness and detail added by Jewish scholars - the additional parts of the story.
  8. sweet~potato

sweet~potato Active Member

To me it is important, but it's not a matter of salvation.:) I am a young earth believer and I find it so fascinating to study!
  9. teathymes

teathymes mama pajama

I think it is true- as it has been interpreted and written by man.

So, I think the actual meaning becomes very narrow as we understand it from our limited perspective.

I believe in creation, believe in the life, death, ressurection of Christ, believe the miracles happened and the burning bush and and and and, but I also know that fallible people wrote these things down and fallible people are reading them. God is true, interpretation is not always.
  10. twodrunkduck

twodrunkduck New Member

well.. i think that's happen in the time described... but i have faith on that...
  11. 3boysnagrl

3boysnagrl Amity's Focus Member

I CHOOSE to believe very similarly to HeyThereHeather.

And Talitha.