Do I dare? Okay, let's see. . . . Does it ultimately matter for the history reported

Discussion in 'Spiritual Discussions' started by Sunflower_Momma, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Sunflower_Momma

Sunflower_Momma "Christian"

in the bible to be literally accurate/have actually happened/have happened as described/have happened in the timeline described?

Discuss.

And, please, be respectful.

This is a discussion question, not an education question.
  2. tara

tara Amity's Focus Member

For me? No. I see the Bible as a parable (as many Christians and "Christians" do). A divine parable--yes. But not literal fact. IOW, I do not believe that dinosaurs coexisted with humans (New Earth).

Tara
  3. OnTheBrink

OnTheBrink Amity's Focus Member

I don't believe in every literal word of the bible. Much of it is storytelling. Very valuable, but not accurate. For instance, I don't believe in the stories of Adam and Eve, Noah, etc.

With the exception of the resurrection of Jesus, there's really nothing in the bible that I need to know is absolutely true. Somethings (above) I know aren't. Something I could find out aren't true and be fine with that. I don't "need" the virgin birth, the miracles, etc to be true. I think that they quite possibly are, but it's not at all necessary for my faith.
  4. annsni

annsni Amity's Focus Member

If what the Bible says is untrue in some parts, how is it trustworthy? Does that mean God lied? That if the Bible is His Word, then why couldn't He make sure it was correct? Did He have no hand in it? Then how can we be sure ANY of it is true?
  5. Sunflower_Momma

I tend to think that it is ultimately important as to the accuracy and that much of it is metaphorical AND sacred scripture.
  6. OnTheBrink

I agree. It's extremely important. Every word in the bible is a word I need to hear. It is very sacred. It's just not all literal. So did Noah take two of every single animal on a big boat and float around for 40 days while the entire earth was covered in water? I doubt it. Was there some big flood? Likely. Do I need to trust in God? Certainly. There are layers to every story. The deepest layer is the most important.
  7. Sunflower_Momma

Yup Nancy, I'm with you.

Does it even matter whether it is or isn't all literally true? Some Christians believe the bible to be literally true, some Christians believe the bible to be mostly true, some Christians believe the bible to be . . . And, does that question of truth really even matter when you come down to it? Is it necessary for us that it be literally true?

I say not. I think that trying to analyze it's ultimate accuracy takes us away from the sacred and the meaning. Does it really matter if there was the literal Flood of Noah? I'm going to say that it just does not matter.

At least for me that has always been the case. I don't need to invest energy into ascertaining the actual history because it takes me away from the soul and the message. For me.

And, if it's the literal history being 100% true is not necessary, why do we all invest so much energy fighting over it?
  8. OnTheBrink

Nope. Doesn't need to be true. Doesn't matter to me. Doesn't impact my faith or my relationship with God.
  9. Sunflower_Momma

10. annsni

I have a few questions:

If the story of Adam and Eve and Noah are all just stories, is Jesus' resurrection just a story?

Would it make a difference if there really is no resurrection?

How can we trust Scripture if it tells us that some of these things are facts but we don't believe them? How can we know that any of it is true?
  11. OnTheBrink

There's a significant difference between the OT and the NT.

Do you believe in the creation story as told in Genesis? Literally? Do you believe every literal word in the bible?
  12. annsni

I do believe the creation story as told in Genesis. Literally. It's the basis of redemption. If there is no Adam, there is no Christ.

I do believe every word in the Bible. Of course there is context to understand in some of it (like what is said of God in Job is not always right because it's man complaining about Him).
  13. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

Sorry, but I am not going there...
  14. heythereheather

heythereheather A reading family

Well, I believe in God as creator of all. I am not a young earth creationist believer, though. However, it doesn't affect my faith. Either God created it all literally as in Genesis, or it was created similar to Genesis, but with the "day" not being our literal day, or God set it all in motion, according to his plan, and Genesis is true but not literally true. Any of those that I believe don't discount Adam. Any of those options don't remove the reality of the gospel. I don't see how it could. I am totally fine if someone chooses to believe in young earth creationism. Rock on. It doesn't affect the reality of Jesus to me.

Also, there is specific historical evidence that points to the resurrection. The same is not true for a young earth creation view.

In my opinion it WOULD make a difference if there was no resurrection. But just because I don't believe in a literal 6 day creation, doesn't mean I don't believe in a literal resurrection.

Does Scripture tell us that a literal 6 day creation is fact? I'm seriously asking. I can't think of a place where it does. Give me that, and then I'll answer that question. :)
  15. OnTheBrink

We are coming from such vastly differently places.
  16. marjen

marjen Go!

Historically speaking, most "news" was transmitted via word of mouth - the art of storytelling, as we think of it now. So I think the bible is as literal and true as it possibly can be, given the accuracy of any story being recounted throughout the ages. However, true or not, does not discount the value of the meaning behind the words. I would not even consider myself Christian, to be honest, but I can learn from the bible. Regardless of fact or fiction, it has something to offer for my spiritual growth.
  17. Sunflower_Momma

The bold is from where I come.

Maybe the world was created in 6 literal days (I don't think so), maybe it was 6 "periods," maybe God set it all in motion, maybe God was the watchmaker, but when it comes down to it, I'm not sure that it makes a difference as far as the value and meaning behind the words. For me that is. I don't see as not the literal history changes the meaning that I derive from it.
  18. heythereheather

heythereheather A reading family

I shouldn't have even started this discussion, as I'm almost done at the library, and then my only access until Monday night will be on my phone, and I'm not good at long discourses on the blackberry!
  19. Sunflower_Momma

20. tara

tara Amity's Focus Member

Is anyone going to address the richness of numeric symbolism in the Bible? The role that numbers play is enormous in terms of a deeper meaning. I know that the Jewish faith emphasizes this when studying the Torah, but I don't know that Christians plumb those depths to the same extent when studying the same books in a Christian context.

I guess it could be literally true that God created everything in seven days AND also hold the incredible Biblical meaning of the number seven. But during my extensive religious education, we focused much more on the symbolic role in the Bible of numbers such as seven and how they can be interpreted from a faith-based reading.

Whenever I think about things like this, I am reminded of the fact that the Bible evolved over a long period of time, and that fallible humans decided which writings "deserved" to be in the Bible and which were excluded. We have an incredible text, but even if it was drafted by God through human writers, it was still shaped/edited by fallible humans...and therefore bears our thumbprint of humanity even if only in its structure and included/excluded texts.

Tara