Disposable diapers are so expensive - can we talk cloth? - or, am I nuts

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by tikva18, Sep 25, 2005.

1. tikva18

tikva18 busy building blocks

I could be verifiably crazy, but we are going through TONS of diapers. So talk to me about cloth. Would I be nuts to try cloth with twins? What kind would I get? how many would I need? how much are they? how would I get all that laundry done? basically, I have no help at home so I need to be able to swing this on my own.
  2. lupineperriwink

lupineperriwink Gnome Queen

We started Lily in cloth and then she outgrew everything LOL. We went to sposies for quite a while and now we are back with cloth. I am by no means an expert but I love the pocket diapers. They are simple and easy.
  3. PoetMom

PoetMom Changing my family tree.

Here's what we did. First, I bought a HUGE box of the smallest disposables online. I think it was like 4 x 180 diapers for way less than store prices. The quality was poor, but it was fine because the twins were going through 25 diapers a day, kwim?

This got us to eight weeks. At eight weeks I started cloth diapering ONLY 8am to 8pm. I had 36 diapers, a mix of fitted and flat. If I had it to do over again, I'd do only unbleached prefolds because it's SO much cheaper and in the long run -- just as good as the fitteds. I didn't need to pin until the twins were walking (and pinning is just not that hard at all after you get used to it. Pinning can give a GREAT fit.). EDITED to add: we went to 24-hours cloth diapers around 12 weeks. After a few really awful experiences with massive blowouts in public, I went to using disposables only when I knew we'd be gone from the house more than four hours. So we did exclusively cloth except for day outings for about two years.

Instead, I would have spent the money on good covers. For me that ended up being the Motherease airflows. So there. If I had twins all over again I'd do unbleached prefolds and Motherease airflows. You'll need about six covers for each baby. You'll only need about 36 diapers because here's the thing -- you can only wash so many in the washer at once. The reason it's a "pain" to cloth diaper twins is that you have to wash daily in the beginning, and every other day for a very long time, and then finally every third day as they get bigger and start using a lot less cloth.

On the upside, one of the twins potty trained 18 months before my firstborn. (At that point I went to pullups for the other twin and therefore he didn't potty train for another 20 months.) So I really do believe keeping them in cloth can influence them to train earlier.

I digress.

You can totally do it. Since the diapers don't sit long, you keep them in a dry pail and just toss them in poop and all each morning. Do a rinse and spin cycle. Then wash well, toss in dryer, toss back into basket clean. Don't waste time folding etc. When my twins were your age the washer and dryer were in the basement and I hallucinated sobbing babies everytime I left the room they were in. You read that right. If I left the room they were in I vividly heard sobbing infants the moment I couldn't see them anymore. So needless to say, I HURRIED through the diaper washing since I wouldn't know if they were really crying or not. EDITED again to add: I did have a "work" sink and sprayer installed in the basement when the twins went to solid foods as at that point, the solids needed to be rinsed off prior to putting them in the wash. The only other issue we had was hard water -- since introducing solids meant introducing odors -- I had to make some adjustments to my washing routine at that point. Ask me about that in six months :)

It all worked out fine.

Now that said when I hear of an expecting mom of twins who wants to cloth diaper from day one I tell her she's better of using sposies and just working on the breastfeeding. Once nursing is going well -- WELL, not barely okay -- THEN switch to cloth.

That advice still holds. Nursing first. Diapers second.
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2005
  4. kkdmommy

kkdmommy married 2 house clone

Just a quick bit of encouragement. I've had 2 in cloth a couple times, not twins but same deal. It's easy. Prefolds and ME Airflow covers are cheapest & most reliable. Try username granitesmith on ebay for nice, inexpensive prefolds. I really liked her unbleached European prefolds & she'll answer your specific questions about the types she carries, very friendly :) Your babies are gorgeous!!
  5. LatteLover

LatteLover Amity's Focus Member

Sure you can do it! If I had twins I would definitely check out my local diaper service (if you have one) because the price for 2 babies is just slightly higher than one baby. I would get prefolds from the service and use bummis covers or another wrap style cover that doesn't require pins. Or, you could definitely wash your own!
  6. AAHmom

AAHmom New Member

I had two in diapers until recently but not twins. I would say go for it. The cheapest and easiest is Prefolds and covers. I have never tried the Motherease covers but Bummis worked best for us.

I prefer snappi's to pins. A few cute fitteds might be a good thing for outting since they are a bit quicker (atleast for me).
  7. norasmama

norasmama Nigel's mama too!

Yup, you might be crazy. But I would do it in your position. I hate spending money on 'sposies, and I can only imagine how much dipes for 2 would cost. :eyes:

I have some infant sized prefolds for sale, I'll bump the FS post, if you are interested. :)
  8. miraclemom

miraclemom Amity's Focus Member

I've got 2 nb Chumbas dipes and 3 nb prowraps FS. Let me know if you want pics. Good luck! I'm just starting to cd again and Brenden is 4 months old!
  9. doubleblessed

doubleblessed I dare you to dream!

See ~ my twins were my first so at first, I used preemie disposies then the Pampers Swaddlers. But after a few weeks, I went to prefolds and velcro covers. It was easy and wonderful ~ then I moved on to one sized dipes around 8 mos. old, I think?
  10. Cloth4Colin

Cloth4Colin Member

I think cloth for twins could totally be done! You will save sooooo much $ in the lng run. We cloth diaper the rock-bottom cheapest way and LOVE it! We had an initial start-up cost, and then after that...it's been essentially free!

Here's what we do: (all you would have to do is double for the twins)
    - 36 4x6x4 Regular sized prefolds - prefolds come in infant and premium sizes too, but we have found that by just going with this one size, we can cover newborn to toddler and won't have to buy any more. (Just fold down the extra material when they are tiny and leave it un-folded when they are toddlers.) I would love to show you how we fold our dipes. ;) if you are interested)
    -12 preemie prefolds...we use these as doublers for overnight - have never had a leak ;) Just top a regular prefold with a preemie and wa-la...extra absorbant night-night dipe.
    -Gerber pins...CHEAP and really are easy once you get the hang of it
    -Gerber vinyl pants - you get 6 covers for less than 5 bucks...can't beat that! (These are the only things you will need to buy as the twins grow...they come in S, M, L, & XL...they are also great for potty learning as they can be worn over panties/undies to protect the clothes

I wash dipes every three days...one large load...it really has not made a major impact on our electric bill, nor is it a big pain in the tush. I would say that if you doubled my numbers from above, you could wash either every other day or just do two loads of dipes back to back every third day.

They say that for one child alone in dipes, 'sposies run about $2000 a year!! We will have paid no more than $300 all together to dipe our child his whole dipe-needing life...not to mention that any subsequent children we have can basically be diapered for "free." Pretty cool!

Can you tell we love cloth?? I get double takes when we mention we use cloth diapers, but honestly...even if we were millionaires, I would still use them.

There are many great cloth diapers & cloth diaper resources out there...I've just given our example...good luck to you and your family!! SIL has twins and I know they can be a lot of work...but they are double the FUN & JOY too!!! :)
  11. freedomlover

freedomlover ReaderOfThreads

For twins...

definitely use prefolds or gauze flats (my favorites for small newborns) and velcro covers.

They are the quickest to wash and dry and are the least expensive!

Washing......just throw them all in a plastic bag lined garbage can when dirty (don't rinse or dunk) and throw them all in a cold water wash with fragrance free detergent and let them go through a cycle. Then add an extra cold rinse for good measure. Then dry them and throw them in a basket of 'clean' diapers to use.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2005
  12. myshiningstarz

myshiningstarz every soul a treasure

I currently have 2 in cloth... I think the main reason I keep cd'ing is because I can't imagine buying sposies for 2! (I'm a cheapie LOL) (Well, that and since we live in the country, dh has tried burning sposies before- and guess what?? They DO NOT BURN! Imagine how full the landfulls are of diapers!!!!!)

Both of my girls will be in diapers for awhile (my older child has special needs so won't be potty learning any time soon) It really isn't all that hard- I wash 3 loads of diapers every 8 days... not too bad IMO. I do use sposies when we go out, it's just less that I need to drag along, kwim?

I would start out with prefolds and simple covers... Then maybe later you want to start exploring the world of wahm diapers. :) :)
  13. Tiffany

Tiffany Amity's Focus Member

:thumbsup: I had 2 in dipes, though not twins & with a service the 2nd baby was ½ off :) I did a service for a month, then switched to doing my own.

If I ever have another baby I will do unbleached prefolds, a couple of nice wool soakers, Alexis covers and polartec fleece liners. Snappis rock!
  14. PoetMom

PoetMom Changing my family tree.

All great advice but again -- you don't want double the amount of diapers, you just want to wash more often because you can't fit more than 24 diapers in a good washer and have them all come clean. You can wash one load every day or wash all day every other day ;)

Mildew is all you get when you have too many diapers in rotation and it's money wasted, kwim?

(and hey, I had *no* help with my twins either. Dh worked and was on the road five days a week so we only saw him on weekends. It was TOUGH but the time flies by and before you know it they're arguing over who loves you more :)
  15. treecitydiapers

treecitydiapers New Member

Most diaper sellers have a "mom's of multiples" discount... you just need to ask :)

I would also go with prefolds and covers until the babies are bigger and will last longer in pockets. You can always suppliment with sposies if you really get behind with the wash (which I don't think you will :) )
  16. flamboozle

flamboozle Organizer Extraordinaire

Of course I am one to talk about cloth. But I think this time around we will be giong that way in order to save some money. There are some services in our area that you may want to check out. Not as cheap as buying your own but you can try the idea without the financial commitment. They come out cheaper than diposable too. They usually give better deals if you mention that you need for twins.

You probably won't like me for this but I can't say it over the phone. Give your DH a break, he isn't sleeping either (he must be doing something) and I know he does help out with some things at home. It may not be what you want him to do, or how you want him to do it but all DH are like that. I am doing some deep breathing since I am not sure this is the right thing to say or the right time/place to say it but I feel a bit safer doing it here.

Hang in there, you have your work cut out for you but YOU CAN DO IT. All the kids and babies will work through their various issues and all will be all right.
  17. Tiffany

Tiffany Amity's Focus Member

FWIW, when I was diapering 2 I only washed dipes once a week. I never had mildew. All I did was drop the dirty dipes in a pail lined with a PUL bag. Then once a week I washed all of them in a front-loader at the laundromat (my alone time LOL). One cycle on HOT with just a little dye/fragrance free detergent (Arm & Hammer is a big no-no, there is an enzyme in it that ate up my boys' penises even with SIX rinses :( ) and a scoop of either Biz or OxyClean. Then another complete cycle on COLD with some vinegar in the wash. Front loaders triple rinse, so my dipes were always super clean :)

HTH!
  18. tikva18

Rochel Leah,

No offense taken, but I am well aware of how totally exhausted Dh is and I don't want to overtax him. I'm doing my darndest to let him be - sleep, etc. without asking himfor any extra help. As it is, he's doing carpool because I just can't feasibly swing it right now; I'm doing the nighttime thing the best I can without his help, but he still is waking up in the night and then just choosing to get up anyway. I'm slowly taking over the laundry and am trying to figure out how to schedule in making meals when I'm getting almost zero sleep at night and maybe only an hour a day. His job is to be at work and I am just going to have to rely on myself.
  19. tikva18

I am interested in trying cloth - in my nextg lucid moments I'll be checking out different ones online and discussing it with DH (who always wanted us to use cloth - at least so he said).
  20. LuLu

LuLu Active Member

I really like just using flats and covers during the day and prefolds, micro terry insert and soakers at night. I have to wash every third day or so, but it's so simple. I prefer a dry bucket and I add some borox to the wash. I'm so glad I switched to cloth. I got most of my diapering supplies for about what the cost of 2 months worth of diapers would be and he will be able to wear this stuff (some I bought for him when he is bigger) for quite sometime.