Diaper covers?

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by Denise, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Denise

Denise New Member

Does anyone have advice for a non-bulky diaper cover? This is my first baby so I'm pretty new to this. I'm going to use a diaper service for the first few months and they sell something called "prorap." Are these common?

I'm too new to post links, but if you want to see them, google "Bottoms Up Diaper Service" and they're listed on the catalog.

Thanks!
  2. alexismom

alexismom Lovin Life

Welcome! I love pro raps. They are one of my favs
  3. Barb

Barb Moderator Staff Member

Yep, we love proraps = did two nb's in them and now my daughter is using them on grandbaby. I'm actually selling some newborn size for $3/each gently used if you're interested. I have I think six, a cotn kid nb wrap and two noname nb covers in a similar style.

I like them alot.
  4. martinanne

martinanne Loving my girls!

Yep, Proraps are great, especially for newborns. They stand up really well to washing. The one suggestion I would make is for you to get some alternative breathable covers, in addition to the Proraps. Get some wool or fleece. Sometimes, when baby's bottom starts to look rashy, you'll want to give his/her bottom as much airing out as possible. And I'd say the only downside to Proraps is that they are extremely waterproof and not very breathable.

One awesome place to find adorable WAHM-made newborn baby cloth diapering and accessories is the Bitty Fluff congo. It's an all-newborn shop on hyenacart.

Edited to add: If you haven't already found DiaperSwappers.com, you should check it out because that site is extremely helpful for learning all about your current cloth diapering options (there are countless!). The diapering discussions are very active, so it's a good place to ask questions (in addition to here at amitymama!)
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  5. Denise

Denise New Member

Thanks for the information, ladies!

Barb, if I'm interested in buying, how would I contact you?

Since my baby is due in May, should I have more breathable covers for the summer? Or is that mostly necessary when they have a rash? LOL -- can you say newbie?

Thanks again!
  6. KaylieJayciesMom

KaylieJayciesMom Amity's Focus Member

I love Imse Vimse covers. And Motherease as well. HTH!
  7. luvmybabies

luvmybabies New Member

Prowraps are a good cheap workhorse cover. I liked them for nb because they were inexpensive.

I really like my motherease cover. And have heard good things about thirsties covers.

But my favorite is wool. I mostly only use pul covers when we are out.
  8. martinanne

martinanne Loving my girls!

Well if your house is air conditioned, I wouldn't worry about it. But there were times that we were outside all day (DisneyWorld and Sea World visits come to mind) when it was so hot that I'm sure my little one was more comfy in a wool wrap then she would have been in PUL. But for us anyway, we liked to have breathable covers for rash prevention. We certainly used our share of PUL covers too. They are trimmer, fit better under clothes, and are more waterproof, so there are plenty of times that you would want to reach for a PUL-type cover like Proraps. I think it's good to have a variety of differnt kinds so you can pick whatever's best for any given situation. We have always used breathable covers overnight. Both wool and fleece.
  9. EarthyBee

EarthyBee New Member

I love thirsties covers. And wool interlock soakers.
  10. brooken

brooken New Member

I am thumbs down on prowraps. They didn't work for my chunky-legged baby. I much prefer bummis and litewraps.
  11. momof4girls

momof4girls New Member

I used a prorap for night and never had leaks. Also like my motherease covers (used the rikki wrap for night time too with no leaks...nice leg gussets) and I like lite wraps just as much as rikkis.
    Bummis and swaddlebees good size range but thick and with fabric on inside..have to wash more often the PUL. Blueberrys good size range like bummis but with PUL on inside.
    Dont like thirsties...had problems with bindings wicking.
  12. craftmuffin

craftmuffin Nursing my brains out

Prowraps weren't a favorite here. I found that my girls grew out of them faster than other covers for some reason.

LOVE Thirsties covers (and diapers) -- very lightweight but with gussets. Litewraps and Bummis Super Whisper Wraps also work well for us.
  13. marcid

marcid New Member

I never used proraps but I have a friend who likes them. They have leg gussets which she likes. I use Bummis whisper wraps (no gussets) and whisper pants. Imse Vimse wool wraps are good too, especially in the summer to avoid diaper rash.
  14. johnlee1

johnlee1 New Member

Hi!
    Pre-fold cloth diapers are one of the most popular types of cloth diapers because they're easy to use, easy to find and not very expensive. Cloth diapers are best,cool and comfortable for he babies in summer and winter.
  15. johnlee1

johnlee1 New Member

please come to join this....