Dh is really on board now

Discussion in 'Mama's Simplifying and Thrift forum' started by 3Gs4Me, Jan 6, 2011.

1. 3Gs4Me

3Gs4Me Blessed Beyond Belief!

Wrapped in the Loving Embrace of My Family
    Dh has been talking about wanting more down time as a family and for recreation. I have told him in the past that the more stuff we have, the more time we spend managing it, the less time we have but it never seemed to click with him. Over the past week, the concept has really settled with him and he is ready to purge even more with me.

We are hoping to get rid of over half of what we own. No more stockpiling huge amounts of food (tracking sales will make nowing how much to buy work for us), almost all of my crafting stuff is going, half the toys are going (kids have agreed to this and admit that they basically only play with Legos, Tinker Toys, Lincoln Logs, a few dress ups items, and their action figures), most of our holiday decor is going, almost all of my nicer dining pieces for entertaining guests, etc...

We have finally come to the point of thinking that our house isn't to small (1200 feet with a full unfinished basement) but that it is rather to full. The problem is not our smaller than average closets but rather the amount of crap we have in them. That only having one bathroom is not a curse but rather a blessing as there is only one to clean. So excited to continue this journey.
  2. marjen

marjen Go!

I hear ya loud and clear. We are in the midst of selling our house. Since we had anticipated this was going to happen a few months ago (job change), we had declutterred in a serious way then. Now that we are staging our house, we have packed up ALL non essential everything and put it in a storage spot in our house that is 8x6x5. We have virtually no knick knacks, no extra toys, no books, etc out now...it's all in that storage spot of ours. We even have only 4 plates, glasses etc in our cupboards. The neatest thing about it is that the 8x6 area is not even full. The kids are so excited about how easy it is to keep their rooms clean, and amazed at how they are not missing any of our "stuff". The other neat thing is that we can get the house ready for a showing at the drop of a hat AND when we do move, it will be a very, very easy move.
  3. 3Gs4Me

We are actually going to look at a house tomorrow that is really small. Michigan basement (dirt basement basically that could be used as a root cellar) and only 960 sq. feet of living space with 2 bedrooms. The house is on an acre and asking price is 17G. We are considering either buying it and flipping it in a few years when the market returns or selling our home and living in it for 2-4 years and then buy up with cash for a larger house. Though we own less than many people, with the amount of stuff we have now, there is no way we could live in that size of a house.
  4. Kbsmama

Kbsmama Active Member

This is awesome. My family is nowhere near there yet. I have been seriously considering the food stockpiling, clothing amounts, etc., though, and looking at things I never have before. Like you, I really don't think our house is too small. We have 2100 square feet (no finished basement--bi-level). It is more and more crowded all the time, though, even with my constant decluttering. So, I'm thinking it's time to consider some things that we tend to stockpile--craft supplies, food, dishes we've barely touched, a bed that gets used by company a couple times a year, etc....
  5. 3Gs4Me

We decided not to look at the house for various reasons. We have been waffling on what to do for some time and the constant going back and forth is driving me nuts. We have decided to stay put her for another 2.5 years, really try to plug into the community (we don't feel very connected here currently), spend the next year paying off our remaining debts beyond mortgage and SLs and then spend the remainder of the time putting a bunch of cash in savings.

By the end of the 2.5 year time frame we will have enough money for a large down payment on a house (25-40% depending on price) or if we choose to stay here, we could pay cash for the addition and basement finishing we had dreamed of when we bought our home if we deem it necessary at that time. During this time frame we will also continue to pare down our belongings substantially. We are just so done with stuff!
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011